Cheap basic fishing gear

Looking to pack a modest little fishing kit this summer while scouting. Need something to do mid day, and help keep a guy motivated when its 90+ and nothing is moving.

The only trout fishing ive ever done has been on stocked ponds (marshmallows and worms!), so im a rook at this stream "wild" trout thing.

NOT looking at fly fishing gear.

What do you guys recommend for baits/lures for an ultra-light spinning rig? In-line spinners? Casting bubble and flies?

A few light jigs and twister tails will be mandatory, never leave home without them.

How about a good spinning rig? What weight and action of rod does everyone like? Im a walleye guy previously, so everything I got is a little more on the heavy duty side for something the size of the bait we used to use for big Northerns.

Not looking to spend a lot of money either. $100-150 range.

Thanks

bbrown

WKR
Get yourself a 5'6"-6' Ugly Stick(@$40) light to UL action - at least 2 piece for packing with a decent spinning reel like Abu Garcia or Diawa for another $30-40. Make sure to keep a lite test lb on the reel like 4-6 lbs. Most of the back country water I fish is pretty small with very few lakes so this set up works great.

For lures I like inline spinners like panther martins, Blue Fox vibrax and I also use spoons like Daredevil and Kastmasters too. I keep all my lures fairly small and whatever you buy make sure its colorful like bright greens, yellows and orange. Find a small double sided plastic case that will actually fit in your pocket and fill it up - it wont take much.

Never been a huge bubble on a fly fan but it works as long as the wind is not too bad.

Don't forget to cut a willow switch for a stringer and make sure you have some foil and spices in your pack.

2ski

WKR
Red and white daredevil should be in any tacklebox you carry. Can't go wrong with it. Small inline spinners like bbrown said. Depending on the water size, you could try a small jointed rapala as well.

JJHACK

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Wa. State and in Elisrass South Africa
These are great opinions ( they mirror mine anyway)

A couple additional thoughts. Using a small panther martin spinner is a deadly trout lure. It has one complicated issue. Spinners will twist the line without a snap swivel. However using a swivel will effect the spinners performance when connected directly to the spinner. So using a swivel about 12" or so in front of the spinner rather than snapped to it will help the way the spinner acts in the water and you still reduce the line twist. Another way to greatly reduce line twist is to manually close the bail rather then rotating or twisting the line by closing the bail with the reel handle. ( when the lure hits the water) The more common or automatic way most folks use spinners.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
every one above nailed all my favorite lures. i only wanted to add, that there are also pretty nice and inexpensive telescoping rods out there too.they collapse to about 2 feet long.

Mepps 0 and 1, black roostertails, red and white daredvl are my stream go to lures. For lakes I like the casting bubbles ( the kind you fill up halfway water) with Mosquitos, ants, caddis and the red little bloodwormy thing. I c&r so I remove any treble books and replace them with single barbless hooks. Once I'm hungry I switch to a couple of egg weights and a single pautzke egg. The first cast or two usually catches a fish big enough for dinner ;)

As far as a rod and reel an ultralight rig need not be expensive. I currently use a cabelas rod and phlueger reel. Bust one or the other about every year so that combo keeps changing depending on what I can find cheap.

Last edited:

2ski

WKR
The little red bloodwormy things are called san juan worms if you are looking for them at a store.

OP
Coyote Commander
Thanks for the input fellas (and gals).

Picked up a pretty nice telescoping rig for $50 a Cabelas (pretty nice, goes down to 13.5") and some spinners and such.

Gonna go scout some bear country this weekend and hopefully put it to use a bit!

krueger

FNG
I am a huge fisherman and your best bet for high country wild trout would be a fly and bubble. Spinners and spoons will work but these fish are used to only eating macroinvertabrates. You will hands down catch more and maybe bigger fish with a fly and bubble. use 4lb flourocarbon and an extended body caddis fly or similar dry fly for lake fishing. Small nymphs or san juan worms or eggs for stream fishing. panther martins or roostertails or small spoons will work but a bubble and fly will catch more fish 98% of the time.

Definately use 4lb flourocarbon fishing line.

OP
Coyote Commander
I did pick up a couple bubbles and some nymphs.

Hopefully, thats as close as I get to fly fishing, lol. I need another spendy hobby like I need a hole in my head. And I can easily see myself getting addicted to fly fishing!

brettb

FNG
Steamboat Springs, Colorado, United States
If your just looking for something cheap to kill the time, just got to walmart and look at the selection. You dont need fancy name brand gear like some people swear aupon. you will beable to have choices for not only budget but will beable to see what you belive will work best for you. They always have about what you need for most occasions. I have been blessed to be born and raised in the back country, a small spinner will work good anywhere. If your up for just catching fish in a small stream and using bait doesnt hurt ur fealers, then go up there with a couple small split shots, small hooks, and role rocks over til you find a worm and drift fish them. thats always a garantee. Like I said you dont need to go out and buy the latest and greatest just for a time consuming hobby. The cheapest will do just as good as the most expensive fishing for the smaller fish. Oh and if you accidentaly break your pole, your not out a bunch of money, maybe 15.00 on a good day. good luck to you

2ski

WKR
You dont have to spend an arm and a leg to get into fly fishing. For what you are trying to do in the backcountry, the "walmart special" as we call them, will work fine.

I did pick up a couple bubbles and some nymphs.

Hopefully, thats as close as I get to fly fishing, lol. I need another spendy hobby like I need a hole in my head. And I can easily see myself getting addicted to fly fishing!
beware of fishing with flies..it is highly addictive...and frickin awesome!

Robpr

Lil-Rokslider
Get yourself a 5'6"-6' Ugly Stick(@$40) light to UL action - at least 2 piece for packing with a decent spinning reel like Abu Garcia or Diawa for another $30-40. Make sure to keep a lite test lb on the reel like 4-6 lbs. Most of the back country water I fish is pretty small with very few lakes so this set up works great.

For lures I like inline spinners like panther martins, Blue Fox vibrax and I also use spoons like Daredevil and Kastmasters too. I keep all my lures fairly small and whatever you buy make sure its colorful like bright greens, yellows and orange. Find a small double sided plastic case that will actually fit in your pocket and fill it up - it wont take much.

Never been a huge bubble on a fly fan but it works as long as the wind is not too bad.

Don't forget to cut a willow switch for a stringer and make sure you have some foil and spices in your pack.

Bbrown is on point with everything. I love trout fishing in the high country.