Chatting Idaho Deer

Hi all, I have a post from last year titled "Idaho Deer Hunt" where I make a limited offer to help some guys with deer and elk hunt planning in Idaho. It's normally gone pretty well in my view. I've been burned a bit by guys taking info and disappearing but that is rare and I feel good about helping a few hunters each year. They have achieved success at rates that significantly exceed the averages. I didn't have a dad growing up who hunted and my grandpa hunted in an awesome old school way, but it doesn't really translate very well today so I've had to pave my way with hundreds of hours of time in the field and researching. I've received great help as well. By now, I have hunted in much of Idaho and have a pretty extensive network of friends I hunt with or chat with and biologists I keep in touch with and I get to sift through a lot of great data points because of it. It's interesting.

A few seasoned guys on the site have experienced a concern that I'm helping people who are brand new to the site. And, I want to prioritize properly. Therefore, you are welcome to PM me but please describe how long you've been on the site (in case I forget to check) and your background. I will prioritize those with a military background or youth hunter in their group. Also, mention where you're planning on hunting and I will tell you if I don't know anything about that area. If it's south of the Clearwater River, I'll have some knowledge regarding most places. While I'll weigh in a bit about unit choices, I normally don't want to be pushing hunters in any specific direction.

I'll let you know if I think I can help and when things line up, like with backpack hunters who happen to be hitting areas I'm pretty familiar with, I'll message back and forth and help the hunter plan out the specifics of their hunt but I only have time to do this for a small number of hunters and I don't want to do too much and cause negative resource effects. The fact that there are nonresident caps in place is helpful because I know that my offer isn't bringing more hunters into the field.

My most enlightening conversations are with experienced hunters that are usually residents but sometimes have just been hunting the state for a long time. Those are definitely welcome also.

I hope you have a great experience regardless and shoot some bears and wolves while you're at it. That is what Idaho residents mostly are willing to help with and the hunting is super entertaining and meaningful for deer and elk.

Last edited:

Troutnut

FNG
Thanks for doing this. I'll send you a PM with questions about specific ideas sometime soon, as I'm planning for my 2nd try at hunting Idaho muleys this year. Yesterday I posted a picture-heavy report from my first try last fall, in which I came close a bunch of times but never quite had a clean shot at a buck.

One of the many things I learned was to respect the limitations of e-scouting and the importance of talking to people who know the area. Spots that checked all the boxes I thought I needed to check on Google/OnX (food, cover, distance from people, etc) just had few or no deer. I learned from talking to guys in the field that one was more of an elk spot, one was more of a winter spot, etc. This year I'm hoping to learn things like that before the season, not during. It's great that you're volunteering to help out.

jmcd22

WKR
There is a wealth of knowledge here so I would take advantage of Idahohikker's offer for anyone new to hunting Idaho...or even the seasoned guy looking at a new spot!

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This always ends up being a good thread! Glad to see your doing it again. There is always a huge influx of members that draw tags and have to become a member to ask questions. That slightly bothers me, as opposed to active members that contribute, and are now asking for help.

Idaho sells out of tags now, and thats a fact. Most people on here will be better than the average guy so I don't see any issues helping them out.

I can always add a little knowledge to the pool for north of the Clearwater

(y) (y)

This always ends up being a good thread! Glad to see your doing it again. There is always a huge influx of members that draw tags and have to become a member to ask questions. That slightly bothers me, as opposed to active members that contribute, and are now asking for help.

Idaho sells out of tags now, and thats a fact. Most people on here will be better than the average guy so I don't see any issues helping them out.

I can always add a little knowledge to the pool for north of the Clearwater

(y) (y)

Very generous of you guys to offer insight. I’ll be hunting in Idaho for the first time this fall, mostly because I am combining a trip to see the in-laws in eastern wa with some thanksgiving whitetail hunting. I would love to chat it up at some point closer to the hunt. I’ve hunted whitetails back east for 4 years so I’ve learned some basics but it will be my first western whitetail hunt and I’m looking forward to seeing new country!

Calbuck

WKR
I'll be going to Idaho again for the umpteenth time this year..I've amassed a lot of miles and lessons in my travels around the state, both for Mulies and elk. Lots of good memories and several decent hunts under my belt there. I don't have any problem helping out with some direction by PM..

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
You newbies to the forum out there who can PM and are serious about hunting deer or elk in Idaho need to hook up with Idahohikker...he has a wealth of information that he will gladly share with you. Just be serious.

Skee7533

FNG
Very newbie to site, not very newbie in general. Finally at a point in life where time and finances will allow me to travel out west hunting more. Can't PM yet but would love to talk when I am able. I will be heading to Idaho this fall with my son.

3pointer

Lil-Rokslider
Like to see others get excited about another hunters success, especially wen swapping info can benefit everyone , it’s kindv against the secret creek , or no tellum ridge way we probly all grew up with , i believe in Karma though ,

Broles32

FNG
Awesome you guys are willing to share information. Wish there was more of that going around

That is a solid offer and folks who are serious might take the time to reach out. There are many factors to weigh that new hunters or hunters to a new area don't plan or think about. How available are camping spots, water, or just local climate challenges. Best o' luck out there!

TheCougar

WKR
Hi all, I have a post from last year titled "Idaho Deer Hunt" where I make a limited offer to help some guys with deer and elk hunt planning in Idaho. It's normally gone pretty well in my view. I've been burned a bit by guys taking info and disappearing but that is rare and I feel good about helping a few hunters each year. They have achieved success at rates that significantly exceed the averages. I didn't have a dad growing up who hunted and my grandpa hunted in an awesome old school way, but it doesn't really translate very well today so I've had to pave my way with hundreds of hours of time in the field and researching. I've received great help as well. By now, I have hunted in much of Idaho and have a pretty extensive network of friends I hunt with or chat with and biologists I keep in touch with and I get to sift through a lot of great data points because of it. It's interesting.

A few seasoned guys on the site have experienced a concern that I'm helping people who are brand new to the site. And, I want to prioritize properly. Therefore, you are welcome to PM me but please describe how long you've been on the site (in case I forget to check) and your background. I will prioritize those with a military background or youth hunter in their group. Also, mention where you're planning on hunting and I will tell you if I don't know anything about that area. If it's south of the Clearwater River, I'll have some knowledge regarding most places. While I'll weigh in a bit about unit choices, I normally don't want to be pushing hunters in any specific direction.

I'll let you know if I think I can help and when things line up, like with backpack hunters who happen to be hitting areas I'm pretty familiar with, I'll message back and forth and help the hunter plan out the specifics of their hunt but I only have time to do this for a small number of hunters and I don't want to do too much and cause negative resource effects. The fact that there are nonresident caps in place is helpful because I know that my offer isn't bringing more hunters into the field.

My most enlightening conversations are with experienced hunters that are usually residents but sometimes have just been hunting the state for a long time. Those are definitely welcome also.

I hope you have a great experience regardless and shoot some bears and wolves while you're at it. That is what Idaho residents mostly are willing to help with and the hunting is super entertaining and meaningful for deer and elk.
Thanks for being willing to help guys out. That’s a pretty rare attitude these days. Good luck to you this year and if I’m ever in Idaho, I’ll look you up and buy you a beer!

Usi05

WKR
He offered some insight for my hunt last year and some thoughts on this years hunt. A really good guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: lif
Idaho mule deer units can be gnarly, newcomers more often than not underestimate the terrain. Good advise is gold!

Don’t forget to give @idahohikker a recap of your hunt and offer some advice in areas he could benefit... I’m convinced karma is real in the hunting community.

Born and raised in Idaho, grew up hunting down by Marsh Valley area. Got super lucky with drawing the October-November unit 50-1 Deer hunt and would like to get some onsite when I am able to PM. I'm only about 1 hour from where that unit starts. We hiked up to Iron Bog lake today as a family.

Last November in one morning I saw a bunch of small bucks and then one tank that showed himself with some does mid morning last year in 50. It’s not a slam dunk by any means during the general season with the pressure but the November hunt should be great.

I'm really looking forward to it. I just need to figure out a few things like winter gear and tent and I want to be more confident in the new rifle. Looks like I lot bigger country than what I grew up with. I have a few places I think might be good if snow pushes them down but I don't know for sure.

I drew an Idaho unit 11 Mule deer tag (early season 10/10 - 11/3). This is my first time targeting mule deer. I’ve been hunting eastern wa for whitetails and elk for the last 20+ years. Any general pre-rut mule deer hunting advice or unit specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

OP
I
I drew an Idaho unit 11 Mule deer tag (early season 10/10 - 11/3). This is my first time targeting mule deer. I’ve been hunting eastern wa for whitetails and elk for the last 20+ years. Any general pre-rut mule deer hunting advice or unit specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

My grandpa spent some time in the unit 11 country and has described it to me but I haven’t. I’m not much help. The bios in the Lewiston office are good. Guys in 11 and 18 focus on whether to hunt the top or bottom.There’s a lot of commentary out there on it. I never moved forward on the hunts in 18 I was considering but I’ll probably join a friend in there sometime for the experience more than anything. @LivetohuntID would be a good contact for anything Salmon River North and maybe Unit 11.