Chatting Idaho Deer

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get into the western portions of area 28 in mid October. have a stock, 4wd, 3/4 ton diesel. Having no first hand idea of the roads out there, is heading North on Panther Creek out of Cobalt a 8 - 10 miles to hit the walking trails west even an option with my truck?

OP
I
Looking to get into the western portions of area 28 in mid October. have a stock, 4wd, 3/4 ton diesel. Having no first hand idea of the roads out there, is heading North on Panther Creek out of Cobalt a 8 - 10 miles to hit the walking trails west even an option with my truck?

Talk to Forest Service about that road question. They’re usually pretty good. From the trails.idaho.gov page you’ll be able to see which are more major roads versus not.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Talk to Forest Service about that road question. They’re usually pretty good. From the trails.idaho.gov page you’ll be able to see which are more major roads versus not.
Got the route from the trails web page and it's labeled at automobile. I'll call the forest service and ask what their opinion is. Thanks.

BFR

WKR
Awesome offer. I was late Dec finding out about the disabled vet reduced tags and had limited choices. After talking to a couple biologists I picked up the 4 tag gamut for 10A, we’ll see how it goes. Planning on hunting the southwest part out of Weippe or Pierce. Any insight on where to park a 35’ motorhome would be appreciated, FS campgrounds or improved as long as I can get in without hitting trees. Finding animals has never seemed to be a major problem, getting to them, that’s another story. But, hey, if someone wants to tell me where they are who am I to complain.
Idahohiker, I plan to contact you later and throw some areas at you for next year. Planning on bringing 1 or 2 grandkids with me. Thanks.

OP
I
Awesome offer. I was late Dec finding out about the disabled vet reduced tags and had limited choices. After talking to a couple biologists I picked up the 4 tag gamut for 10A, we’ll see how it goes. Planning on hunting the southwest part out of Weippe or Pierce. Any insight on where to park a 35’ motorhome would be appreciated, FS campgrounds or improved as long as I can get in without hitting trees. Finding animals has never seemed to be a major problem, getting to them, that’s another story. But, hey, if someone wants to tell me where they are who am I to complain.
Idahohiker, I plan to contact you later and throw some areas at you for next year. Planning on bringing 1 or 2 grandkids with me. Thanks.

I don’t know anything about that N ID Panhandle country. Good luck.

Heathcog

FNG
Hi all, I have a post from last year titled "Idaho Deer Hunt" where I make a limited offer to help some guys with deer and elk hunt planning in Idaho. It's normally gone pretty well in my view. I've been burned a bit by guys taking info and disappearing but that is rare and I feel good about helping a few hunters each year. They have achieved success at rates that significantly exceed the averages. I didn't have a dad growing up who hunted and my grandpa hunted in an awesome old school way, but it doesn't really translate very well today so I've had to pave my way with hundreds of hours of time in the field and researching. I've received great help as well. By now, I have hunted in much of Idaho and have a pretty extensive network of friends I hunt with or chat with and biologists I keep in touch with and I get to sift through a lot of great data points because of it. It's interesting.

A few seasoned guys on the site have experienced a concern that I'm helping people who are brand new to the site. And, I want to prioritize properly. Therefore, you are welcome to PM me but please describe how long you've been on the site (in case I forget to check) and your background. I will prioritize those with a military background or youth hunter in their group. Also, mention where you're planning on hunting and I will tell you if I don't know anything about that area. If it's south of the Clearwater River, I'll have some knowledge regarding most places. While I'll weigh in a bit about unit choices, I normally don't want to be pushing hunters in any specific direction.

I'll let you know if I think I can help and when things line up, like with backpack hunters who happen to be hitting areas I'm pretty familiar with, I'll message back and forth and help the hunter plan out the specifics of their hunt but I only have time to do this for a small number of hunters and I don't want to do too much and cause negative resource effects. The fact that there are nonresident caps in place is helpful because I know that my offer isn't bringing more hunters into the field.

My most enlightening conversations are with experienced hunters that are usually residents but sometimes have just been hunting the state for a long time. Those are definitely welcome also.

I hope you have a great experience regardless and shoot some bears and wolves while you're at it. That is what Idaho residents mostly are willing to help with and the hunting is super entertaining and meaningful for deer and elk.

Went up to my unit last week with the family, went on a 4 mile hike. My 4 year old kept up really good. A lot of the country up there is going to be bigger than I can talk my kids into coming with me scouting but I'm going to keep searching for little hikes. Figured I can get quality time with family while familiarizing myself with the unit.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Got the route from the trails web page and it's labeled at automobile. I'll call the forest service and ask what their opinion is. Thanks.
Any roads in central Idaho during mid October are going to be a crap shoot. Weather can roll in at any time and things can go sideways in a hurry. I mean, it snowed this week in that area you're talking about. Road labels can be optimistic at best. Bring chains for all 4 wheels, good tires, and a saw and recovery gear. I wouldn't recommend pulling a trailer in that area at all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

brn2hnt

WKR

Been on Panther creek the first week in November. The road was solid in 2016, but I was on the boundary of the Wilderness. Getting back up to the "pass" on Panther creek road was hairy with the snow. Would recommend chains 100%.

NoWiser

WKR
I drew an Idaho unit 11 Mule deer tag (early season 10/10 - 11/3). This is my first time targeting mule deer. I’ve been hunting eastern wa for whitetails and elk for the last 20+ years. Any general pre-rut mule deer hunting advice or unit specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

Any idea if you’ll hunt the top or bottom? I drew the same unit, but the mid-November hunt. I plan on hunting it from the top. I’d love to hear how your hunt was when you’re done.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Any roads in central Idaho during mid October are going to be a crap shoot. Weather can roll in at any time and things can go sideways in a hurry. I mean, it snowed this week in that area you're talking about. Road labels can be optimistic at best. Bring chains for all 4 wheels, good tires, and a saw and recovery gear. I wouldn't recommend pulling a trailer in that area at all.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input. Think I'll watch the weather conditions before I take off from home and if need be I'll load an ATV in the pick up bed and drag that along. Know that'd get me down Panther Creek... if that's legal. Dang it, have to check into that. Also, any input/thoughts on the area I'm thinking on hunting would be greatly appreciated .

Hello,

New member to rokslide but have been browsing the forums for the last couple years. Not a newly to hunting though. I was hoping to get a little help as my brother and I are taking my dad to Idaho this year of his 65th bday. He's never been able to afford hunting outside of Cali and I got to a point to finally make his out of state dream come true. We are staying in Mackay and plan on hunting near there. My dad has a lot of physical limitations due to health but has been working hard to get in better shape to be able to at least do something. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I would love to help my dad and brother get on something.

Thank you!

King68

FNG
Thanks for the offer, planning on taking my Dad (32 year Navy Vet, recent cancer survivor) up to zone 16 for the general season this October. I'll send you a PM.

Very new to the site. Also a new ID resident/hunter. Found your post from last year after looking for information on the deer tag I drew for this November. I have some thoughts on where to start in the unit but would love to pick someone’s more experienced brain.

You sound like someone I should be talking to. Brand new to archery, AARP member, AF vet and LE background. Since this is my FIRST time, ever, hunting, I'm eligible for the Idaho "Passport" program. In short, I pay a few bucks to get mentored by an experienced hunter. I'll PM when my account has matured a bit. jeff