Changing up Arrow build for Caribou

Ho5tile1

WKR
I’ve had great success with the Qad heads full and swept out to 80 and 90 I’ve moved on to the iron will single bevels. I have found it takes a little more effort to tune fixed heads once you break 290 ish fps which was not an issue until I bumped up to 82 pounds but when I was still at 75-76 pounds and my arrows was like 280ish they tuned easier at least that’s been my experience. Not sure your speeds just something to think about. I also started to skip paper tuning as it’s just a starting point and would wind up changing stuff anyways. I only paper tune now when I put new strings on which I do every year as I shoot a ton. Get everything square, level and in time that usually gets me pretty close if I have not so great tares I will change my top hats till it’s almost perfect then go from there with broadheads. I would also find the grip that’s repeatable for you and tune to that. 5mm arrows or 6 fly great the micro is just a sales gimmick imo.. good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMF

WKR
As much as I try to stick to a 2 blade fixed head, I think I'll likely have a few mechs in my quiver when I finally get to go for Caribou. With the open terrain, wind and size of them, I think the mechs might be a good bet.

I had luck with qad exodus before, but then one season, I couldn't get my bow tuned with them. I switched to a magnus killer bee 2 blade and they grouped well with my field points. I've got IW's to try now, but got rid of all my 3 blades.

I also went to the Storm 4mm arrows for better penetration and wind drift.

It’s always better to get your form down first. Definitely do some tuning to get good arrow flight but don’t over do it. I think too many hunters focus so much on exact arrow flight and hitting quarter size targets at 80 yards we forget about form. Repeatable anchor, grip, release, follow through. Get those down and then tackle the fine tuning. In all honesty, I haven’t paper tuned in years. I tune with a fletched arrow and by sight. You can tell pretty easily how to tune just by watching the arrow in flight or how it’s sitting in the target. My preferred method is actually to film the shot in slow motion and then tune accordingly to what I see. Shooting a light arrow with high speeds is also very difficult to tune.