Chamber crooked?

I've chambered barrels for 30 years and I can tell you one thing for certain. That barrel was not dialed in correctly before it was chambered. If the barrel is dialed in, and the tail stock is net coaxial with the lathe spindle, the throat will be concentric with the chamber being oversize. The reamer acts like a boring bar in that case. In the case of your barrel, it's very difficult to correct the problem that is there. The only way to do it is to set the barrel back far enough to have enough steel available to bore out the eccentric chamber walls to the point that they are concentric with the bore of the barrel. After that the reamer can recut the chamber on center. Most sporter taper barrels can't be set back far enough to get that work done. Your call, but if I were in your place I would contact the fellow who worked on the barrel.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
I've chambered barrels for 30 years and I can tell you one thing for certain. That barrel was not dialed in correctly before it was chambered. If the barrel is dialed in, and the tail stock is net coaxial with the lathe spindle, the throat will be concentric with the chamber being oversize. The reamer acts like a boring bar in that case. In the case of your barrel, it's very difficult to correct the problem that is there. The only way to do it is to set the barrel back far enough to have enough steel available to bore out the eccentric chamber walls to the point that they are concentric with the bore of the barrel. After that the reamer can recut the chamber on center. Most sporter taper barrels can't be set back far enough to get that work done. Your call, but if I were in your place I would contact the fellow who worked on the barrel.
I contacted him before I tried loading a round in he told me just go shoot it, I feel like I may have an issue getting anywhere with this

BBob

WKR
Well it'll probably shoot as in it'll go bang, but I doubt it'll do well accuracy wise. If the throat/chamber is indeed off center that far (it doesn't appear that it's even close) and he won't fix it you'll just have to name and shame so others don't get taken.

Show us some pictures of the other 3 lands so we can compare with the other two.

Well it'll probably shoot as in it'll go bang, but I doubt it'll do well accuracy wise. If the throat/chamber is indeed off center that far (it doesn't appear that it's even close) and he won't fix it you'll just have to name and shame so others don't get taken.

Show us some pictures of the other 3 lands so we can compare with the other two.
This is the correct answer.

Mag_7s

WKR
I agree with BBob, I would politely insist he make it right and if he refuses let others know of your experience.

Not exactly cheap burning components for a 30 nosler to figure things out either. If it’s clearly an off center chamber a reputable smith should make it right.

Wrench

WKR
I'd be interested to hear how this happened. Even a couple thou out seems like it would be hard to spot.

I call it good at 2 tenths....dialing in is the single most time consuming part of the process. I'd think that if it were that far out of square a case would drop in like a hotdog in a hallway.

I'd be interested to hear how this happened. Even a couple thou out seems like it would be hard to spot.

I call it good at 2 tenths....dialing in is the single most time consuming part of the process. I'd think that if it were that far out of square a case would drop in like a hotdog in a hallway.
.002 doesn't sound like much unless you compare it to the height of one land. A .300/.308 barrel land height is .004 per side. It makes it stick out like a sore thumb. Looks like the OP's picture.

Wrench

WKR
.002 doesn't sound like much unless you compare it to the height of one land. A .300/.308 barrel land height is .004 per side. It makes it stick out like a sore thumb. Looks like the OP's picture.
I can't even imagine that far out. I wonder if he worked on centers and it was just a awful tube. It seems to me the reamer that far out, even with a floater would hog out a huge chamber.

I can't even imagine that far out. I wonder if he worked on centers and it was just a awful tube. It seems to me the reamer that far out, even with a floater would hog out a huge chamber.
It wouldn't have to be .002 out. Freebore diameter is usually only .0005 over bullet diameter. If the barrel was .0005 out of center it would leave the lands at the end of the neck on one side, and completely remove them on the other side. That's why it shows up so dramatically with a bore scope if the chamber is not concentric.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
got a couple factory rounds they chamber fine shoulder measures 2.1845, the virgin brass that won’t chamber measures 2.187

Mag_7s

WKR
got a couple factory rounds they chamber fine shoulder measures 2.1845, the virgin brass that won’t chamber measures 2.187
That's interesting, virgin brass is usually well below spec. Do you think the head space is off as well?