Chamber crooked?

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
I’ve tried callin to talk to him also the barrel is an inch longer then I asked for

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve tried callin to talk to him also the barrel is an inch longer then I asked for
Holy smokes. At this point I cut my losses and move on. See what he’ll refund you and move on. I’ve been down this road with a gunsmith and it turned from one issue to the next. Not worth it.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
Holy smokes. At this point I cut my losses and move on. See what he’ll refund you and move on. I’ve been down this road with a gunsmith and it turned from one issue to the next. Not worth it.
Funny thing is he was talking about how bad Lee was when I first talked to him about building the rifle

Mag_7s

WKR
Did he at acknowledge or give any reason why your brass wouldn't chamber?

SDHNTR

WKR
Agreed. This sounds like pissing up a rope!

Did the smith who looked at it initially even scope the chamber? IME, if you can help it, never take something back to someone who says there’s nothing wrong when you know something is! Human nature, no one likes to be wrong. Some folks will only dig their heels in deeper and refuse to admit when they missed or overlooked something. Not saying (yet) that’s what is happening here, but make sure this guy gives it an objective second look. And I would want to know and agree to his proposed solution before he does anything and charges more money.

At a minimum that barrel needs the chamber and throat recut. Personally, after all this fuss, I’d be rebarreling altogether.

SDHNTR

WKR
Funny thing is he was talking about how bad Lee was when I first talked to him about building the rifle
Lee who? I know a gunsmith with a first name Lee who is now retired. How anyone could say a foul word about him or his work is unfathomable!

TxxAgg

WKR
That name has come up before

Mag_7s

WKR
When this is all behind you I hope you share who the smith is. What a terrible experience.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Oh boy. Get a refund, at least for the barrel and “chambering” and install work. Move on. You didn’t even get what you asked for (barrel length). This is simple. Sorry man.
This was a different smith.

Axlrod

WKR
Not your main problem here, I don't think. But in regards to the new 30 Nos. brass. I had Alex Wheeler build me one, and he told me my new ADG brass may need the shoulders bumped back a bit. Something specific to the dimensions of 30 Nos. brass or ADG 30 nos. brass- I don't recall. I set my resize die using the stripped bolt method, and my new brass was a bit snug, so I bumped the shoulders .0015 or so.
When I picked up my gun he ran a go & no go headspace gauge into the chamber for me. Everything about the gun is perfect and it shoots that way.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
If I read this correctly his gunsmith was badmouthing "Lee" so his gunsmith isn't "Lee"???
Correct, I had issues with Lee previously with a bent recoil lug causing the barrel and action set crooked

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
Not your main problem here, I don't think. But in regards to the new 30 Nos. brass. I had Alex Wheeler build me one, and he told me my new ADG brass may need the shoulders bumped back a bit. Something specific to the dimensions of 30 Nos. brass or ADG 30 nos. brass- I don't recall. I set my resize die using the stripped bolt method, and my new brass was a bit snug, so I bumped the shoulders .0015 or so.
When I picked up my gun he ran a go & no go headspace gauge into the chamber for me. Everything about the gun is perfect and it shoots that way.
I had to bump .004 to get the new brass to chamber with out issue

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
talked to him question him on why the barrel was an inch and a half longer. He said the barrel I got would not work at 22”, I said I’ll call benchmark, who does a lot of work with him and if he knew I wanted 22” why would you not call and say something. Benchmark confirmed it was a 22” finish I got and told me to have the gunsmith call them. Benchmarks customer service has been awesome to work with.

BBob

WKR
talked to him question him on why the barrel was an inch and a half longer. He said the barrel I got would not work at 22”, I said I’ll call benchmark, who does a lot of work with him and if he knew I wanted 22” why would you not call and say something. Benchmark confirmed it was a 22” finish I got and told me to have the gunsmith call them. Benchmarks customer service has been awesome to work with.
Is it a carbon? Length isn’t an issue to worry about if the throat is off center. First things first.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
Is it a carbon? Length isn’t an issue to worry about if the throat is off center. First things first.
Steel fluted, benchmark said it could be chatter in the chamber from the reamer on a 5groove causing that and may just need it cleaned up.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
They also said they were surprised that these issues happened with this gunsmith