Chamber crooked?

talked to him question him on why the barrel was an inch and a half longer. He said the barrel I got would not work at 22”, I said I’ll call benchmark, who does a lot of work with him and if he knew I wanted 22” why would you not call and say something. Benchmark confirmed it was a 22” finish I got and told me to have the gunsmith call them. Benchmarks customer service has been awesome to work with.

How are you measuring when you say the barrel is such and such a length?
Barrel length is measured from the bolt face. If your measuring from the front of the action then you'd be 1.5 to 2" long on your measurement.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
How are you measuring when you say the barrel is such and such a length?
Barrel length is measured from the bolt face. If your measuring from the front of the action then you'd be 1.5 to 2" long on your measurement.
From the bolt face is just shy of 23 and a half, he acknowledged that but said it’s because I got the wrong barrel, benchmark says they sent a 22” finish length

From the bolt face is just shy of 23 and a half, he acknowledged that but said it’s because I got the wrong barrel, benchmark says they sent a 22” finish length

Seems like it would be a matter of looking at the shank and barrel length in front of the flutes. If there is only an inch or so at the muzzle in front of the flutes, then the excess length would have to be in the shank if there is excess length.

Did the smith leave a really long shank on the barrel, or excess length at the muzzle?

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
Seems like it would be a matter of looking at the shank and barrel length in front of the flutes. If there is only an inch or so at the muzzle in front of the flutes, then the excess length would have to be in the shank if there is excess length.

Did the smith leave a really long shank on the barrel, or excess length at the muzzle?
Shank is long

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
You and he might get lucky if there’s enough length to fix the chamber.
Ya but he says there’s no issues so I’m just going to get the rifle. I’m not seeing him offering anything to help the situation.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
You and he might get lucky if there’s enough length to fix the chamber.
Here’s what it looked like the first time I was told it was done, it was supposed to be midnight bronze.19603AE3-2DA3-4AA8-9990-11BDA78AB34D.jpeg

Shank is long

Shank doesn't look horridly long for a 30 Nosler. The barrel end after the flutes looks a touch long. Looks like both ends could be trimmed.

Cutting back the shank will make the barrel inlet look crappy. He may have left it long to fit the barrel inlet of the stock.

Seems an odd set of circumstances dealing with a supposed Machinist who reportedly misses very large visual discrepancies.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
Shank doesn't look horridly long for a 30 Nosler. The barrel end after the flutes looks a touch long. Looks like both ends could be trimmed.

Cutting back the shank will make the barrel inlet look crappy. He may have left it long to fit the barrel inlet of the stock.

Seems an odd set of circumstances dealing with a supposed Machinist who reportedly misses very large visual discrepancies.
Inlet is for a sendero, I didn’t want to wait on a stock

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
He did not he is setting it back fixing the chamber and getting it to the correct length

Diced

WKR
He did not he is setting it back fixing the chamber and getting it to the correct length
Him not shooting it before sending it back is not a great sign. Most factory rifles get shot before being sent back from warranty repair.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
He said he was going to do the work today and shoot it this weekend, out to 1000yards show me the groups and have it ready Monday

Lawnboi

WKR
If it makes you feel any better Iv got a carbon wrapped benchmark blank that’s a $1200 tomato stake as well. And it’s the second I got from the smith.

If you don’t get taken care of please mention the smith in the thread so people know who to avoid. I sure wish I would have known before shipping my rifle off.