Chamber crooked?

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
Luckily no, benchmark but it took a bit to get it. Was hoping it would be ready for spring bear.

Mag_7s

WKR
I can't imagine man. So many hard earned dollars in these builds and you look forward to it for so long.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
Not a good first custom, hopefully the 338 lapua imp barrel that another smith is putting on a terminus Kratos action for me is good to go soon.

Mag_7s

WKR
I bet it will be. Good that you have that one to look forward to and not let this experience sour ya

always a chance benchmark might have what you’re looking for or be making a run of them soon. I recently got a 6mm tube in 2 weeks from them.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR

Attachments

• E3CB8050-C94C-4E90-BD73-01B034104185.png
    E3CB8050-C94C-4E90-BD73-01B034104185.png
    278.7 KB · Views: 38

SDHNTR

WKR
So the saami max at the datum is 2.188, per your print drawing. Your chamber is obviously cut less than that, which isn’t in itself a problem. A custom chamber is usually gonna be cut tighter than max dimensions. Sounds to me your brass is on the long side and your chamber is in the short side. That’s not necessarily a problem, just a case of tolerance stack working against you. Just bump your shoulders back to 2.185.

I can’t make sense of your picture to see what you’re referencing. You’re saying 2 of the lands start before the other 3? If that’s the case that’s a separate issue than your brass head spacing.

OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
So the saami max at the datum is 2.188, per your print drawing. Your chamber is obviously cut less than that, which isn’t in itself a problem. A custom chamber is usually gonna be cut tighter than max dimensions. Sounds to me your brass is on the long side and your chamber is in the short side. That’s not necessarily a problem, just a case of tolerance stack working against you. Just bump your shoulders back to 2.185.

I can’t make sense of your picture to see what you’re referencing. You’re saying 2 of the lands start before the other 3? If that’s the case that’s a separate issue than your brass head spacing.
It looks like 2.188 is minimum and 2.198 is maximum according to the chart so the brass that won’t chamber is right at minimum

2.188 is min chamber spec, not max.

I’ve never looked at that dimension before on Saami specs but the interesting part is the cartridge max dimension there appears to be 2.192”, longer than the min chamber dimension. Seems odd unless I’m missing something.

Regardless I’d send that SOB back. If the chamber is that off center you’ll just get pissed with it every time you think about it. Get it done right.

03BA7815-31E5-4EE8-9FD7-315872BB633E.png

SDHNTR

WKR
It looks like 2.188 is minimum and 2.198 is maximum according to the chart so the brass that won’t chamber is right at minimum
You’re right. I totally read that wrong. Oops. Disregard.

Last edited:
OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
Got the rifle back to him weekend before last, he said he would call Monday. Sent a text on Tuesday last week, said he was busy but he had it apart saw no problem and his rounds load no problem. Said he was going to shoot it and let me know.

Mag_7s

WKR
I understand life happens but something just isn't passing the smell test. Did you send any of your brass that was difficult to chamber with the rifle?

SDHNTR

WKR
Got the rifle back to him weekend before last, he said he would call Monday. Sent a text on Tuesday last week, said he was busy but he had it apart saw no problem and his rounds load no problem. Said he was going to shoot it and let me know.
Back to who? The same gunsmith who did a basic inspection previously and said it’s fine?

Last edited:
OP
Hunter609

Hunter609

WKR
I understand life happens but something just isn't passing the smell test. Did you send any of your brass that was difficult to chamber with the rifle?
Sent 2 of my brass which 1 measures 2.188 and one measures 2.185 both require some pressure to close the bolt

BBob

WKR
Same gunsmith to hopefully have his issues resolved
If all he's going to do is lengthen the chamber a little so you can chamber your SAAMI min cartridges he's hosing you on the chamber job due to that off center throat. From your description he's going to shoot it and if it chambers and shoots he'll pass it off.

P.S. Unless I missed it you never posted pictures of the opposite side of the throat to confirm the mismatched lands due to an offset chamber. It'd be nice to see pictures around the full circumference of the throat so we can confirm it's bad so we're not slamming the guy unnecessarily.

Last edited: