Gunsmith Review - Oregon Mountain Rifles

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve been going back and forth on if I wanted to take the time to write this, but in the end, if I was a potential customer I’d want to know, so I decided to go ahead with this review. Back in December I decided my tikka 300wm just wasn’t for me and my options were to sell it or pull the barrel and rechamber in something that wouldn’t try to rip my shoulder off when I shot it. I did some research of some gunsmiths that do tikka conversions and came across OMR, Oregon Mountain Rifles. I called and talked to Lee who was extremely helpful, patient and willing to answer all of my questions.

We agreed that he’d chamber my gun in a 7 saum, custom throated to run the longer eld/Berger bullets. He was very particular with what he needed, 3 dummy rounds seated to the exact length I wanted, plus a handful of bullets. He would throat .020” off the lands to give me room to mess with seating depth.

I was quoted 6-8 weeks turn around and off the rifle went! A week later I got a call from a female that confirmed details and told me that it would be 8-10 weeks. It gave me pause that he already over promised, but realistically I wasn’t in any hurry and a couple of weeks didn’t make a difference.

At the 10 week mark with no correspondence I called and asked how things were coming and was told the parts were coming in slowly. I wasn’t surprised and let him know I understood. At 16 weeks I was told all the parts were in stock and he was prioritizing the gun and it would be shipped that week. The following week I followed up to see what was going on. He said that the seated dummy rounds were seated so tight he couldn’t budge them, and broke his tool trying to push the bullet out. Wait…what? It’s a dummy round, why would you want to unseat it.

I called a local gunsmith and asked him what he thought and he was perplexed. He said you remove the barrel, drop the dummy round in, and if it’s not seated all the way you ream is out, little by little until it seats. Then go another .020” and you’re done (Layman’s terms of course). The gunsmith couldn’t understand why OMR was trying to push the bullet out of the case and how he broke his tool, which I assume was some version of a Hornady OAL gauge.

after talking to Lee it was apparent he was struggling to find the lands and figure out the correct OAL plus .020”. I mentioned that he could cut 2 slices into the neck of the case and then pinch it together so it held the bullet. I also offered to send the gun back unthroated, take off 75 dollars which is what I was quoted by the local guy and I’d do it myself. This upset him and he told me what a good deal I was getting and how the custom throat was being done at no charge to me.

he said he’d work on it and it would be done at the end of the week. I called him the following Monday to see if it was done and of course it wasn’t and he was on vacation. He would work on it when he got back. Ok, fine. So far I’d been extremely nice and understanding, knowing this guy had my rifle and I wanted him to do a good job. The following week, 19 weeks later, he shipped it.

I got the rifle a few days later and it looked great!!!! I immediately went to start load development. Step 1, find the lands, come back .020” and seat the bullets there for my ladder test. I already knew the OAL of the dummy rounds, but did a test just in case. I got the number and double checked and triple checked. He cut the throat .100” long!!!! The dummy round was a 175 eldx, one of the longest ogives out there, so any other bullet would be jumping a mile!

I called him immediately. He played dumb. I don’t know what happened, how does it shoot? Honestly, that doesn’t matter. I paid for a custom barrel to be done at an agreed upon way and it wasn’t. He had no answer. It’s clear what happened…he couldn’t get the dummy round bullet to slide in and out and had no way to check the lands, so he cut it long and called it a day.

Ok, well I guess we will see how it shoots? I loaded the 3 dummy rounds into the magazine to make sure it cycled. Nope. Failure to feed on all of them. He didn’t even check to see if the gun would cycle?

I asked him about it and he blamed the cartridge. I asked him why he didn’t make sure they at least fed…crickets. It ended up being that the stock was too fat and the bolt wasn’t catching the base of the cartridge.

I sent the gun back to him at his request after talking to him and AG composites. AG stepped up and even paid for the shipping which should have been on OMR because that gun should never have left his shop. When I spoke with Lee on the phone (btw the helpful Lee failed to exist as soon as he had my gun 19 weeks ago, and the new Lee was annoyed and too busy to talk, preferring to not answer and text) he said that he had some tricks he wanted to try. I told him the inlet was too shallow but I didn’t want him to drill out the inlet anymore, and he immediately agreed offering up that “the bottom metal wouldn’t fit flush then”. Yep, I agree and I don’t want to spend that kind of money to upgrade my rifle then have a big gap on the bottom.

Off the rifle went again. By this time I’m annoyed and want my rifle back ASAP. I call the day after the rifle arrives and tell him it looks like the rifle arrived and was hoping he looked at it. Nope, he’s too busy but will get to it by the end of the week. A couple days later I follow up through text because it’s been so unpleasant to talk on the phone. Rifle is done! I ask what he did to fix the issue “a stock adjustment”. I ask what that means, fearing he just sanded it down. “Sorry I’m too busy to talk” was his answer!!!!!!

The gun shows up and of course he drilled out the inlet and now the bottom metal fits about 1/8” into the stock.

AG composites stepped up and has offered to help remedy the situation. Their stock feels amazing and being my first custom stock I’m really surprised how a good fitting stock soaks up recoil.

In the end the rifle is ok. The stock feels great, the fit and finish of the barrel is great. I’m not sure where he gets his barrels but I have no complaints about the barrel, just his gunsmithing. I wish now I would have had him send it back and let the local guy (who I found after I shipped my rifle) do the actual gunsmithing. When reading reviews there were a lot of positive, but also a lot of negative reviews. One guy on here said something along the lines of “Lee is a great barrel maker, but not a very good gunsmith.” That review seems to be spot on, even though I don’t think Lee actually makes barrels.

As of today here’s where things stand. AG told me to shoot the rifle and when the new generation came out theyd swap it out for the new one. I really like that stock, I can’t say that enough. On the other hand, OMR has not offered a resolution and left me paying full price for a gun that isn’t as promised. He isn’t responding to emails and seems to have gone dark. I’ll update this thread if I hear from him.

The pictures are from round 2 of major issues. At the end of the thread I updated with the final results.

Attachments

• 830B4CC4-74C6-4500-AD3E-BFD0415019D6.jpeg
    830B4CC4-74C6-4500-AD3E-BFD0415019D6.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 223
  • ED13EF41-A9F2-4FBA-A6A9-88AF2D71B288.jpeg
    ED13EF41-A9F2-4FBA-A6A9-88AF2D71B288.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 31D85667-6D20-438F-A42B-8D1C187D6910.jpeg
    31D85667-6D20-438F-A42B-8D1C187D6910.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 221
  • 819045D7-D536-46DB-AA75-9E5A7496E3D2.jpeg
    819045D7-D536-46DB-AA75-9E5A7496E3D2.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Sorry for your troubles...If I had a dime for every time I've heard a similar story.

I could tell you my own long, sad story, but I'll just tell you the ending instead: I took it by hand to D'Arcy Echols and spent two days working with him to get it right.

There are a LOT of gun cranks out there, but very few who actually know what they are doing. And no, they aren't cheap.

ChrisA

WKR
Sounds like Lee is lacking gunsmithing expertise like chambering/barrel fitting skills. Like OBD said, there are a lot of "cranks" out there. Any competent smith should be able to deliver a properly throated rifle that will feed and function no matter if it's a Tikka, Howa, Sako, Rem, etc.

I cannot imagine anyone sending a rifle out the door that wont function correctly. Lee probably hoped for the best and took an out of sight, out of mind approach.

How does it shoot? Wish you better luck on your next custom build.

Chris

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Sounds like Lee is lacking gunsmithing expertise like chambering/barrel fitting skills. Like OBD said, there are a lot of "cranks" out there. Any competent smith should be able to deliver a properly throated rifle that will feed and function no matter if it's a Tikka, Howa, Sako, Rem, etc.

I cannot imagine anyone sending a rifle out the door that wont function correctly. Lee probably hoped for the best and took an out of sight, out of mind approach.

How does it shoot? Wish you better luck on your next custom build.

Chris
He made a comment at one point when he wouldn’t answer his phone along the lines of “I have 300 rifles I’m working on and am too busy to talk.” Not sure if he was bragging? Or so busy he was just trying to get them out like an assembly line?

ChrisA

WKR
He made a comment at one point when he wouldn’t answer his phone along the lines of “I have 300 rifles I’m working on and am too busy to talk.” Not sure if he was bragging? Or so busy he was just trying to get them out like an assembly line?
BTW, thanks for the honest review. So many other guys will bitch about a less than stellar experience yet refuse to divulge company names, which IMO is a disservice to the rest of us who could avoid a similar experience.

Chris

ODB

WKR

Then he’s also a bad businessman and has overloaded himself. I used to assist a custom maker building bottom metal. When his workload got to 18 months he just said “no” to more work. Of course we are talking full-custom safari rifles, but still, just taking on loads of work benefits no one. Especially if the quality suffers.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Glad you took the time to share your experience. If it helps one other shooter out, it was worth it. It is surprising how many hack job outfits are out there!

If you want to fly into PDX I can drive over and pick you up. Can talk to him about it in person.. lol
I've been wondering about this guy.
Too much instagram glam for too good of a price.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Glad you took the time to share your experience. If it helps one other shooter out, it was worth it. It is surprising how many hack job outfits are out there!
Thank you for the feedback. I told Lee I would be doing a review of the rifle when I first sent it to him. In the end, I followed up with the review because I wish someone had written this review in December so I would have known.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
If you want to fly into PDX I can drive over and pick you up. Can talk to him about it in person.. lol
I've been wondering about this guy.
Too much instagram glam for too good of a price.
Lol! Yeah, one of the biggest Gfy that he did was tell me my components were there and they were being prioritized. Then a week later, maybe it was 2, after it still not being done he posted up a bunch of rifles for sale that he was finishing building that he would be posting on his website for sale. Maybe I was just being sensitive but man, finish my damn rifle before you build a bunch of rifles for sale. Especially when you told me 8 weeks and were working on 19 weeks!

wildcat33

WKR
I hate these stories. We dream of our perfect rifle, then the whole experience ruined.

I wonder if he cut the rifling/lands short, then closed the bolt on your test round, jamming the bullet. Then forced to push it out the barrel (or drill). Either way, this is a good PSA. The guy deserves to be known for what he is.

I'd except nothing less than a full refund for labor and damaged parts. Wishful thinking perhaps.

Last edited:
I've seen this in race quad engines and gun builds.
They just don't realize the demand. Do not have any organization skills. Do not want to pay a front desk.
Get started being very attentive then once the word gets out they blow up. Get cocky, start loosing track of parts.
Get flamed, close shop and have to hide there face again with a regular job.

Hopefully he learns and get a legit counter person.
I agree id rather have the builder building then answering lo level questions. But ya got to pay someone to do that.

I'm glad you posted this as I'll most likely be building my wife a rifle next yr. And had OMR in the back of my mind because there only a few hrs away.

But after a similar experience with a quad engine along time ago I know exactly the feelings your having and know I don't want to do that again.

To get my quad engine back i stood and stared at the guy 3 fulls days in a row.
And I think I was the last guy to get all his parts out of that shop.

KG406

FNG
I sent Lee at OMR a barrel to be carbon wrapped and was not happy either. Not as bad as your experience but still pretty disappointed. From it taking close to 12 weeks (told me 4), to the cerakote not being the color I'd asked for, pits in the carbon finish, and then after all that they shipped it to the wrong FFL dealer in PA instead of the one I provided in MT then still charged me the shipping. I would not use OMR again

Lawnboi

WKR
I feel your pain. I had a very similar situation albeit was out a rifle for over a year with another well respected smith who customizes a lot of tikkas. I too was sent a rifle that wouldn’t even feed after spending 2k to barrel and stock it. Sad thing is I heard others have problems as well, which is why it’s good to get these things out.

Atleast you got a rifle that hopefully shoots... and a stock that functions.

if you have an AG alpine hunter check out that rear thread engagement!

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Here is a response from OMR I just received. It’s seems reasonable other than the fact that it’ll leave me with an inop rifle 30 days before the season.

Here is our resolution you asked for
We will also be posting it to social media sites.

We will issue you a 100% refund upon receiving the barrel and stock back. We want you to be 100% satisfied and clearly your not. We apologize for your frustration and inconvenience we with you the best of luck with everything.

When you contacted me about the stock, I spoke with AG and AG informed me that they had had similar issues from recent Tikka stocks. They informed me that they had dropped the inletting 0.030" to help relieve the issues you were experiencing and I asked them how they wanted to handle your situation. Ag asked me to inlet your stock the 0.030' which I did and returned the rifle to you. The stock was not DRILLED out ,it set in mill and inletted to AG specs.

We literally build all OMR barrels in house, we get raw blanks and turn-down, wrap to our specs. YES WE MAKE THE BARRELS WE ARE HAPPY YOU LOKE IT!

AG did not pay for the return shipping of your rifle back to OMR, OMR paid for that. We did it as a courtesy for AG. OMR has $137.00 in shipping costs for your rifle to fix the stock.

You mentioned the time frame, yes originally we were 8-12 weeks, the gun industry is crazy right now everyone is struggling to get products currently we are 12-16 weeks. We have 200-250 builds on average in the works. I can't drop everything the second your rifle shows up to check on the problem. Every single customer is equally important and we take pride in that, when you texted to find out what I did to the stock, I told you I was with customers, Im sorry that's not what you wanted to hear.

Customer service? There is no mention of OMR replacing the $35.00 bolt stop with a new one FREE OF CHARGE when the rifle was returned with a non functioning bolt stop that had been ground down so far that the bolt would physically fall out. We did this as a small gesture without hesitation because of the issues you had with the stock, we didn't ask if you wanted it we just did it.

You still owe OMR for the original return shipping costs you have not yet paid for. We sent another email on 8/3/21 asking for payment from your 6/10/21 invoice for return shipping.

We put our blood, sweat, and tears into OMR. I'm sorry we couldn't meet your timeline expectations or customer service needs.

We have built and sold hundreds and hundreds of rifles using AG stocks without any issue we incredibly sorry the stock issues you experienced, customer service was not up to your standards, your time line was not being met or craftsmanship that didn’t meet your expectations. As always if there is accuracy issue, product defect OMR stands behind its products. We are truly sorry for and and all Inconveniences you may have occurred during this build process.

Your final paragraph in the email to OMR states “I need the rifle as it’s my only mountain rifle I feel comfortable taking elk hunting and with 4 rifle tags I’m stuck with it”. This tells me your confidence in shooting the rifle is there enough to trust your entire hunting season using it.

With that being said, We are 100% willing to take back the barrel and stock for a 100% refund minus the outstanding original return shipping charges. Since OMR sent the rifle back It’s been almost 2 months since you received you rifle back from OMR and we have not heard from you, until being notified we were going to be blasted on social to media to receive some sort of resolution. You made it clear you are confident in the rifle, just not happy with customer service and or stock fit which is being taken care of by AG when a new stock design is available. You being upset about everything in your review is all fair and good. We want you to be happy we will issue the refund as soon as we receive the barrel and stock..

Sincerely
OMR

When you contacted me about the stock, I spoke with AG and AG informed me that they had had similar issues from recent Tikka stocks. They informed me that they had dropped the inletting 0.030" to help relieve the issues you were experiencing and I asked them how they wanted to handle your situation. Ag asked me to inlet your stock the 0.030' which I did and returned the rifle to you. The stock was not DRILLED out ,it set in mill and inletted to AG specs.

We literally build all OMR barrels in house, we get raw blanks and turn-down, wrap to our specs. YES WE MAKE THE BARRELS WE ARE HAPPY YOU LOKE IT!

AG did not pay for the return shipping of your rifle back to OMR, OMR paid for that. We did it as a courtesy for AG. OMR has $137.00 in shipping costs for your rifle to fix the stock.

You mentioned the time frame, yes originally we were 8-12 weeks, the gun industry is crazy right now everyone is struggling to get products currently we are 12-16 weeks. We have 200-250 builds on average in the works. I can't drop everything the second your rifle shows up to check on the problem. Every single customer is equally important and we take pride in that, when you texted to find out what I did to the stock, I told you I was with customers, Im sorry that's not what you wanted to hear.

Customer service? There is no mention of OMR replacing the $35.00 bolt stop with a new one FREE OF CHARGE when the rifle was returned with a non functioning bolt stop that had been ground down so far that the bolt would physically fall out. We did this as a small gesture without hesitation because of the issues you had with the stock, we didn't ask if you wanted it we just did it.

You still owe OMR for the original return shipping costs you have not yet paid for. We sent another email on 8/3/21 asking for payment from your 6/10/21 invoice for return shipping.

We put our blood, sweat, and tears into OMR. I'm sorry we couldn't meet your timeline expectations or customer service needs.

We have built and sold hundreds and hundreds of rifles using AG stocks without any issue we incredibly sorry the stock issues you experienced, customer service was not up to your standards, your time line was not being met or craftsmanship that didn’t meet your expectations. As always if there is accuracy issue, product defect OMR stands behind its products. We are truly sorry for and and all Inconveniences you may have occurred during this build process.

Your final paragraph in the email to OMR states “I need the rifle as it’s my only mountain rifle I feel comfortable taking elk hunting and with 4 rifle tags I’m stuck with it”. This tells me your confidence in shooting the rifle is there enough to trust your entire hunting season using it.

With that being said, We are 100% willing to take back the barrel and stock for a 100% refund minus the outstanding original return shipping charges. Since OMR sent the rifle back It’s been almost 2 months since you received you rifle back from OMR and we have not heard from you, until being notified we were going to be blasted on social to media to receive some sort of resolution. You made it clear you are confident in the rifle, just not happy with customer service and or stock fit which is being taken care of by AG when a new stock design is available. You being upset about everything in your review is all fair and good. We want you to be happy we will issue the refund as soon as we receive the barrel and stock..

Sincerely
OMR

Sounds like damage control that could have/should have been avoided from the start. Seems to be a prevailing arrogance among gunsmiths and barrel makers. Speaking from my own experiences and those of others I know.