Cell phone booster/ hot spot

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for someway to make phone calls from a place I have zero bars. This will be my first trip after our first child and I’d like to make phone calls vs texts to ease my wife’s mind.

I’ve tried a different carrier and I still have zero service in this area. So I’m looking at renting an iridium go device. Anyone have any experience with using the iridium go as a hot spot for my iPhone 12? Or should I go directly to a full blown sat phone?

Dented

WKR
Have you looked at We Boost? It won't make signal where there is none but it will boost it.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at We Boost? It won't make signal where there is none but it will boost it.

I have but I have zero service where I’m at. It literally says “no service” on my screen.

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
Sat phone

Have you used both? Any reason why you prefer the sat phone over the iridium go? I’ve read mixed feelings on it. Some say the GO is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
I have satellite phone service, haven’t used anything else. Waiting for Verizon to come out with their service that’s like satellite not sure if or when it will be available?

OP
lungpuncher1

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I have satellite phone service, haven’t used anything else. Waiting for Verizon to come out with their service that’s like satellite not sure if or when it will be available?

Can you use it in a truck? Near a window of a house or do you have to basically be completely in view of the sky?

Sorry, I’m completely ignorant to sat phones.

taskswap

WKR
Does your solution need to be portable? If you only need service in camp, Starlink is currently the best option IMO. They even have a new "Roam" mini antenna with pictures of people backpacking with them, although IMO given the power usage involved in running it, it's still best used in camp.

You can play a lot with "maybe it will work" options, but if connectivity is that important to you, this will definitely address it.

Be prepared for folks (at camp and here) to sneer at you that THEY don't NEED a phone when they're out in the field. I usually just reply that all that means is they just aren't important enough to others to need to be reachable in the first place. :D I'm a father of 5 and my family is very important to me. I get it.

I use inreach and if I absolutely have to make a call I fire up the starlink using the inverter from my truck...I keep it all in a tote in the back seat for when needed.

I don't really need a phone at camp but it's easier for the wife when I am gone if I do.

20240625_184418.jpg

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
I usually stand outside the truck or in camp with a clear view of the sky. That’s just me how I use it.

I have used an Iridium sat phone numerous times in Iraq. I would rate it at 80-90 percent reliable. Uncle Sam picked up the tab, so I cannot speak to the cost of the phone. As an alternative to voice, the Zoleo delivers fast and timely texts.

taskswap

WKR
Does anyone have a rough cost on what sat phones cost with fess etc.? I've never looked into them.
My numbers are very dated so I'll defer to any more informed response, but just to get you started, the last time I priced one out the base phone itself was like $900 and the service was like $90/mo. Which sounds reasonable but that was for like 20 MINUTES of usage (and 30 messages, I think). No data.

I personally think an InReach Mini with a message of "get to a phone" and then using your actual cell phone makes more sense in 90% of cases.

cktraider

FNG
Ive been taking my TMobile Home internet box with me. They tell your it has to stay at your house but you can use it anywhere. I can get about 6-7 Mbps at my lease which lets me call etc. Have gotten 130 Mbps not far away in extremely rural areas. Might be worth a shot.