2025 Caribou Hunt with Arctic Air

I have already started a thread about flying with Arctic Air and have received some good and not so good reviews. My father and I will be flying with them in August of 25. I Wanted to start another thread for people hunting with Arctic Air this year (2024) and what their experience was like and how the hunt was. I have read there have been major issues with weather causing hunts to be moved to the Fairbanks area. Any helpful information regarding Arctic Air is greatly appreciated!

LCoult

FNG
I am interested in booking with arctic air for 2025 as well. Interested to hear how other people have done with them.

TAF65

FNG
Hunted out of Kotz using Artic Air this year. Camp gear rental package was as described. Was dropped on a gravel bar on a river too big to cross bounded by creeks 1 mile in each direction. Saw 1 cow caribou on other side of river on day 1 for 30srconds s mile out and nothing else for rest of trip. Spent lots of time each day behind glass. Saq nothing. Was told same as others have noted to "watch gravel bar for Caribou crossing" After a few days it was obvious we were placed there as it was convenient to land. NO effort on the part of AA to pre scout at all. Essentially it was a camping trip. Pilots were great and comments shared were not positive regarding Mr. Colbath. This trip was a long time coming and my group was sadly disappointed. Hope to try again if health and finances allow. AA moving to Fairbanks will most likely be a cluster. Good luck and Beware!

OP
T
Wow. That’s too bad. Can I ask you to dive a bit more into what the pilots had to say about AA. Also, were you close to other hunters or did you seem to have the area to yourself? Talk to anyone else when you returned?

280rem

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like more than plenty buyer beware available on this site. How many times a person asks a question never changes the answer. To each their own, I suppose

TAF65

FNG
Pilots basically noted there was alot of folks backed up and expectations to fly as many as possible per day were unacceptable to them.

Yes saw other camps within a few miles each direction. Also on a gravel bar.

Other hunters using AA noted similar results. Spoke to several who were waiting to get out. AA doesn't control the weather, contract reflects that.
We got out fortunately which was a positive.
Our hope was to at least be placed in an area that was scouted and had an opportunity at game. Seeing nothing was very disappointing, and yes I know it's hunting....scouting would have helped imo.

TX338

FNG
Just got out of the field Friday night. Arctic Air drop camp hunt out of Fairbanks. In Seattle on a layover headed home. My group went 3 for 3 on bulls, but we’re the only 3 caribou we saw, all 3 bulls together and we shot all 3. Partly luck they came through. We were out about 2 miles from camp. I’ll do a write up later this week with more detail about hunt and AA experience. I spent some time with Gary driving 4 hours from Circle to Fairbanks, and picked up some insight into their move and operations, planned changes for 2025 and 2026.

Attachments

• IMG_5533.jpeg
    IMG_5533.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5541.jpeg
    IMG_5541.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 14

TX338

FNG
You are not kidding…luck was huge on this deal, but you can’t shoot em from your living room. We knew the uncertainties of AA, and decided to roll the dice for the adventure regardless.