Cartridges that get the most out of handloading

Did they discontinue it? I just checked the rifle selector on their site today and didn't see it as an offering.

Maybe they did. I know they at least used to sell one. I've seen them for sale in my local classifieds before

OP
Rick M.

Rick M.

WKR
Maybe they did. I know they at least used to sell one. I've seen them for sale in my local classifieds before
That's actually good news. Maybe I can find one out there unsold if I could figure out what the UPC is / was.

This will be a little off of the intent. When I started off trying to get the most out of my rifle through reloading. That was preceded by me shooting factory. It was a challenge to predict where each winchester bullet was going to end up.

Following those mistakes I started to reload to optimize the performance of each gun. The result has been so good That I will never buy another box of factory ammo again.

Now you can go back to your desires of maximizing what you have or wish you had.

264 win mag.
Modern propellants, metallurgy and bullets.
Will push a 140gr bullet over 3200.
147s almost that fast, not sure what it will do with 156s but probably 3150 easily

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Mack84

FNG
What do you get from a 280 AI that you don’t get from a 7 Rem Mag? And don’t say a non-belted case, I ain’t buying.
I just about said non belted non magnum bolt face lol.. but really also standard .308 bolt face

JGRaider

WKR
I've never understood ridiculous statements like "sex appeal" when referring to cartridges, or "it has no soul" when referring to rifles/guns.

Someone needs to try getting 3100 fps with a 160gr bullet in that 280AI.

The .280 Rem was originally developed for autoloading and pump-action rifles. Another example or Remington's seemingly endless screw ups. With a good 700 action and a good barrel, the 280 can push to within 50 fps of most factory 7mm Magnum loadings. That makes it hit harder than any 270 Win and shoot flatter than any 30-06, but only if handloaded. Factory ammo is shitty at best, awful at worst.
The 264 Win mag with a 1-8 barrel and proper handloads also shows huge benefits from high BC bullets, slow powders, and proper load development practices.

I've never understood ridiculous statements like "sex appeal" when referring to cartridges, or "it has no soul" when referring to rifles/guns.

Someone needs to try getting 3100 fps with a 160gr bullet in that 280AI.
3k should be close to obtainable, but I’d guess it could be done with rl22.

I've read that some cartridges benefit more than others when it comes to handloading, and that others are already near their potential in factory ammunition offerings. I'm interested in learning more about this. What cartridges seem to get the most out of handloading and why?
Any cartridge chambered in popular old rifles. 45-70 comes to mind.

Slugz

WKR
The .280 Rem was originally developed for autoloading and pump-action rifles. Another example or Remington's seemingly endless screw ups. With a good 700 action and a good barrel, the 280 can push to within 50 fps of most factory 7mm Magnum loadings. That makes it hit harder than any 270 Win and shoot flatter than any 30-06, but only if handloaded. Factory ammo is shitty at best, awful at worst.
The 264 Win mag with a 1-8 barrel and proper handloads also shows huge benefits from high BC bullets, slow powders, and proper load development practices.
Add in the 40 degree shoulder of an Ackley Improved ..........and the brass life is incredibly long. IMHO

I agree, but I specifically mentioned 160's @3100. Not happening in any 280AI, not too hard in the 7mag with Retumbo.
I haven’t played enough with mine, and having a 22” barrel I’m at a disadvantage. But I do think it’s possible to get close if you have a 24 or 26” barrel. N560 or 7828 might be a better powder option to get there.