Carnivore Diet

180ls1

WKR
What’s interesting is a lot of doctors opinions or thought on carnivore in general. How can they say this way of eating isn’t healthy if there hasn’t been any real long term studies on it. Let alone, have a legitimate opinion without legit experience with the way of eating in general.

In a way it seems similar to the guys that say the .224/.243 calibers are unethical/incapable of effectively killing animals, without having personal experience killing with said caliber.

For the guys saying that you just need diet and exercise, I agree to a certain extent. However, before I went all in on carnivore, I had completely quit drinking and went the traditional diet route. Even in a caloric deficit, I still felt like garbage and weight stuck around. Granted I didn’t have a whole lot to lose in general but it still wasn’t close to the results or performance I knew I should have been obtaining. Carnivore changed that completely and I’ve never felt better.

I think this way of eating works better for some and is a beneficial thing to try. It’s not going to work for most but I sure as shit won’t take any health advice from some bitch tit, skinny fat, or obese doctor. Especially the ones pushing ozempic and other metrical weight loss drugs.

What the data supports is that people who go to extremes with their diet usually fail and revert. Carnivore would fit into that.

There is also a lot of data supporting the consumption of things not found in the carnivore diet, vegetables for example. A solid case supported by data could be made against the diet without having long studies on the diet specifically.

That said, you make a good point(s) about issues with medical advice but without understanding the context and having a longer conversation there is really no way to know what that MD was getting at. I'm also not anti carnivore, for the record.

Duh

WKR
What the data supports is that people who go to extremes with their diet usually fail and revert. Carnivore would fit into that.

There is also a lot of data supporting the consumption of things not found in the carnivore diet, vegetables for example. A solid case supported by data could be made against the diet without having long studies on the diet specifically.

That said, you make a good point(s) about issues with medical advice but without understanding the context and having a longer conversation there is really no way to know what that MD was getting at. I'm also not anti carnivore, for the record.
we’re in agreement on some people not following through with extremes. However, it’s a lifestyle change and only you can stay true to yourself with respect to your health.

Personally, I can’t do things half ass so I just dove into the carnivore thing long after I went cold turkey from alcohol.

Turns out for me, that’s exactly what I needed and was looking for in performance with my body. The benefits were almost immediate for me.

Personally I haven’t looked up studies that argue vegetables also cause harm but I’ve seen links posted on them. I really don’t care enough at this point because I’m not eating them and my body functions a hell of a
Lot better than it did when I was eating them. I’m not in the camp of trying to convert anyone to carnivore and it’s definitely something that an individual needs to research before they hop on.

However, the push back I’ve personally seen from my own doctors and other accounts of people doing carnivore and their doctors, has been lame. People giving opinions on things that they’ve never tried or had experience with. It’s sort of the appeal the authority argument.

I have no problem being the test dummy for the sake of science at this point and if I die because of it, hopefully it’ll be a great data point to help others down the road.

BFM

FNG
My experience as a 37 year old male..... still ongoing. Been on carnivore for 8 months. Many years ago I was very into fitness and followed the traditional macros bodybuilding diet. Basically chicken, rice and broccoli. I was big and carried a lot of muscle mass but could never get lean (lifetime natty). I'm confident on that diet and training program I would have been big and lean with supplementing exogenous hormones.
Here is a picture of me in that time of my life.
I slacked off for a long time, lifted a little but ate/drank whatever I wanted. Here is me in December 23'
Here is a pic 6 months into carnivore, a little more lifting (not much) and a little cardio 2x a week. I've lost 60lb's

I wish I would have done blood work prior to starting the diet to know what baseline was but I did not so these numbers don't really mean much. I will do bloodwork again in probably 4 months to see if there are any changes and maybe that will give me some more insight.

@

180ls1 can vouch for me since he's known me in all 3 pictures.​

180ls1

WKR
My experience as a 37 year old male..... still ongoing. Been on carnivore for 8 months. Many years ago I was very into fitness and followed the traditional macros bodybuilding diet. Basically chicken, rice and broccoli. I was big and carried a lot of muscle mass but could never get lean (lifetime natty). I'm confident on that diet and training program I would have been big and lean with supplementing exogenous hormones.
Here is a picture of me in that time of my life.
I slacked off for a long time, lifted a little but ate/drank whatever I wanted. Here is me in December 23'
Here is a pic 6 months into carnivore, a little more lifting (not much) and a little cardio 2x a week. I've lost 60lb's

I wish I would have done blood work prior to starting the diet to know what baseline was but I did not so these numbers don't really mean much. I will do bloodwork again in probably 4 months to see if there are any changes and maybe that will give me some more insight.

@

180ls1 can vouch for me since he's known me in all 3 pictures.​

Yeah man. I was pretty shocked but seeing is believing.

Reactions: BFM
Has anyone done more of a meat + fruit type of thing? Curious to hear of your results or thoughts.

I know for a while the push was meat only or you weren't doing it right but it seems a lot of people have backed off of that slightly to include some fruits, especially berries, and even some have gone as far as sweet potatoes on occasion.

lak2004

WKR
Has anyone done more of a meat + fruit type of thing? Curious to hear of your results or thoughts.

I know for a while the push was meat only or you weren't doing it right but it seems a lot of people have backed off of that slightly to include some fruits, especially berries, and even some have gone as far as sweet potatoes on occasion.
Wife and I did for a couple months (she lasted longer than me) and it was fine. We both felt great but weren't strict carnivore. More like ketovore.

ChrisA

WKR

I'm eating quite a bit of fruit along with meat and dairy. I haven't done strict carnivore for more than a couple days but am down 45 lbs to 185. Been doing this for 15 months, beginning after I quit copious amounts of alcohol cold turkey. I probably eat too much fruit and dairy but I've maintained 180 to 185 for nearly a year and don't feel hungry. I have no doubts about maintaining this for the next decade or two if I live that long.

I recently switched to natural foods diet. We grow a big garden and lots of fruits and vegetables so I can’t give those up. There are so many delicious and medicinal fruits and vegetables and wild plants I just can’t understand giving those up unless you have some reaction from them. I also cut out sugar.

I am skinny anyway and didn’t want to lose any weight just wanted to feel better and have more energy. Well I almost instantly lost a size on my waist. I do feel better and have more energy.

I know a couple guys who have tried carnivore and not stuck with it. My main objection with it is it seems like it would be really expensive and would tie me to the grocery store even more than I am now. I really don’t trust what’s in meat from a grocery store and eat mostly wild game or animals I buy from people I know and have them butchered. But it does sound like some great health benefits people are experiencing and you can’t argue with that.

j_volt

WKR
I am on day 51 and am 37 pounds down. I have started to cheat a bit the last 10 or so days (fajita vegetables three times, a beer once, too much cheese a time or 2), but have still felt great (with the exception of the beer…that didn’t sit well).

I didn’t start this for any sort of autoimmune issue, but instead, to just lose some weight. The “cheating” I am doing has still generally kept me in ketosis. My son was born about a week before I started, and I knew I needed to do something to avoid all the food being dropped off. This has worked pretty well.

I have completed a 48 hour fast and a 72 hour fast. I may do another 48 hour fast this week.

If anyone is wanting to start, feel free to send me any questions. I just about quit on day 5 because of the cramps and headaches, but I was able to get that all figured out.

rw79

FNG
I’ve been on a animal based diet (carnivore but I also eat fruit) for about a year. While this is not medical advice, I have noticed nothing but positive benefits. If you are really interested in giving it a go, then you need to commit fully for at least 60 days. I personally found this diet only worked if I never cheated or indulged in anything else. This was very hard at first but after a few weeks I was fine. See how you feel after that and adjust accordingly.

Diet:
Meat (game meat, red meat, some chicken and fish as needed)
Eggs (8-12 per day)
Cheese
Vitamin D Milk
Yogurt, cottage cheese
Protein Shakes (2x per day using either Apex from Costco or Jocko Molk)
Fruit
Honey
Coffee and water
No alcohol

Pros:
I am in the best shape of my life. My body composition is the best it’s ever been as well.
Pre-carnivore stats: Weight 240. Current weight is 205. Bloodwork has improved greatly as well.

Cons:
You have to do a ton of meal prep and must cook all of your own meals (my opinion). This is time consuming and can be a pain in the ass but it becomes a habit after enough time.

People will think you are insane, just an FYI. This is especially true at family gatherings and cook outs. Be prepared for people to ask you strange questions (What about fiber? What about cholesterol? Whats wrong? Why don’t you drink anymore?). Typical bs like that.

Atoka Man

FNG
I work in healthcare and think about the carnivore diet every so often when patients ask me or I see something in the news. I have not researched it extensively enough to be knowledgeable or have my own opinions but have learned a bit about it through podcasts and such. I am always open to learning more so I would love to hear your thoughts on how one can meet their daily requirements for fiber and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) while on this diet, as those are often two places it reportedly falls short. Do those following the diet recommend any additional fiber or multivitamin supplements to help meet these needs?

Edit: Spelling
I also work in healthcare and there are some things to address here. The requirements for fiber are mostly theorized by nutrition researchers. Meeting vitamin requirements requires the consumption of organ meats like liver, which is quite replete in bioavailable vitamins and minerals. I personally tend to follow an animal based approach, but I do include fruit when it is in season and various vegetables, especially fermented ones like kimchi. A true carnivore diet doesn't seem to be anthropologically sound but short-term, can make sense as a lot of cultures that originate from cold regions of our planet would not have good access to plant material during the cold winter months (ex. Inuit people). These groups were able to thrive in their environment but exploiting what food sources were available to them at the time and have only started to have considerable problems with chronic disease since western foods were introduces. The best option is probably animal based proteins with seasonal vegetables and fruits mixed in. Avoid all processed garbage foods.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
The best option is probably animal based proteins with seasonal vegetables and fruits mixed in. Avoid all processed garbage foods.

Thank you for your response, the quote above is pretty much where I’ve landed as well. I’m not there 100% of time but getting better little by little. My best advice for most is something along the lines of “eat your food as it exists in nature”.

Wrench

WKR
This interview is completely worth a listen. It's title is a bit misleading as much of it revolves around the food industry and how they are making it hard to be healthy.

lak2004

WKR
This interview is completely worth a listen. It's title is a bit misleading as much of it revolves around the food industry and how they are making it hard to be healthy.

Agree, this should be circulating to the masses for a wake up call.