Carnivore Diet

Sherman

WKR
Second go around. First time was about 5 years ago and lasted only a month. This time I am committed to at least 100 days. 42 years old, 6’, starting weight was 274. Two and a half weeks in and am down to 255 and feel better than I have in years.

Anybody else try or on carnivore? Anybody interested and want to know what to do and/or expect feel free to DM or reply. I have done extensive research and will answer the best to my ability. I will post pics after 100 days.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I work in healthcare and think about the carnivore diet every so often when patients ask me or I see something in the news. I have not researched it extensively enough to be knowledgeable or have my own opinions but have learned a bit about it through podcasts and such. I am always open to learning more so I would love to hear your thoughts on how one can meet their daily requirements for fiber and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) while on this diet, as those are often two places it reportedly falls short. Do those following the diet recommend any additional fiber or multivitamin supplements to help meet these needs?

Edit: Spelling

Baller

FNG
I am curious about it also.

Especially how you will be able to stay on it during a hunt food wise.

*zap*

WKR
Why not just maintain a natural diet while you consume the correct amount of calories for the rest of your existence? Meanwhile work at a good fitness program of flexibility, strength, aerobic capacity and get your caloric deficit thru exercise.

Last edited:
The only thing I have wondered about is genetic heritage. Such as if your family roots are from northern climes and have made your body more capable to adapt to the carnivor diet since those regions have always had a diminished veggie diet and have depended on meat for food source.

The southern climes have always had limited meat storage capabilities but an enhanced veggie component.

This has always kind of been a curiosity point for me. My family heritage is scot-swede-german. I live on elk and potatoes and at 6ft my weight has ranged from 225 to 214. ( I used to be taller)

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
I work in healthcare and think about the carnivore diet every so often when patients ask me or I see something in the news. I have not researched it extensively enough to be knowledgeable or have my own opinions but have learned a bit about it through podcasts and such. I am always open to learning more so I would love to hear your thoughts on how one can meet their daily requirements for fiber and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) while on this diet, as those are often two places it reportedly falls short. Do those following the diet recommend any additional fiber or multivitamin supplements to help meet these needs?

Edit: Spelling
Great read about the fiber…

And another on the vitamin issue…

The only thing I have wondered about is genetic heritage. Such as if your family roots are from northern climes and have made your body more capable to adapt to the carnivor diet since those regions have always had a diminished veggie diet and have depended on meat for food source.

The southern climes have always had limited meat storage capabilities but an enhanced veggie component.

This has always kind of been a curiosity point for me. My family heritage is scot-swede-german. I live on elk and potatoes and at 6ft my weight has ranged from 225 to 214. ( I used to be taller)
That's an interesting topic, makes pretty decent sense though.

ODB

WKR

I forget where I first saw it, but I read somewhere that the ideal diet is within 150 miles of where you are “from”. I think the point was to cater to the climate influence on an evolved body. Of course our mobility throws a spanner in the works, but an interesting idea.

jwatts

WKR
My wife did carnivore for a while, then slowly added other foods back in. She saw decent weight loss. The main thing she saw was a loss of allergic reactions and inflammation from foods she was eating, By eliminating everything except meat, she was able to slowly add other foods in to see what really bothered her and what didn't. Prior to carnivore she had allergic reactions to dairy. After being on only meat for a while she was able ot experiment with different types of dairy and determine what she could actually eat. Same with sugars, grains, etc.

I don't think it's sustainable. I do think that it's a good way to reset and slowly add back healthy foods and stay off of the more processed foods that we are all adjusted to eating that may be causing health issues that we aren't aware of.

bdan68

WKR
I've been on a carnivore diet for almost three years. It's not a "fad," not sure why people say that, and it's definitely sustainable. Otherwise how would I and many others be doing it with great results for many years? Meat has all the nutrients a person needs. And, fiber is not something that's a requirement in the human body.

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
Long story short, I was an SF guy and between that, sports when I was younger, and a physically demanding job, my body is falling apart. Blew out a shoulder about a year ago. Haven’t been in the gym since. My body does not process carbs well. Started back in the gym this week.

I’m not here to debate anything about the diet. I can pick any side of any topic and find evidence that supports both sides. I’m only here to share my experiences and answer questions about those experiences according to my own research.

It goes against what we have been told to believe about the SAD, and many individuals have proven it is sustainable.

CB4

WKR
I did it for the month of April. To me the best thing about it was less inflammation in my joints, sleep quality improved drastically, and mental clarity was better. For anyone who says it isn't sustainable, they are completely wrong. It just takes a little prep/planning.

I'm 6'1 and went from 190lbs to 186 in one month. 17 to 13% body fat. Lost 4% body fat while adding 2.5lbs of muscle according to the inbody scans I did. I'm now eating probably 75-80% carnivore.

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
My wife did carnivore for a while, then slowly added other foods back in. She saw decent weight loss. The main thing she saw was a loss of allergic reactions and inflammation from foods she was eating, By eliminating everything except meat, she was able to slowly add other foods in to see what really bothered her and what didn't. Prior to carnivore she had allergic reactions to dairy. After being on only meat for a while she was able ot experiment with different types of dairy and determine what she could actually eat. Same with sugars, grains, etc.

I don't think it's sustainable. I do think that it's a good way to reset and slowly add back healthy foods and stay off of the more processed foods that we are all adjusted to eating that may be causing health issues that we aren't aware of.
Yep. My wife was suffering from arthritis, fibromyalgia, and a thyroid issue. It all went away after maintaining the carnivore diet. Her doctor turned her on to a book called The Plant Paradox and looked to heal her body rather than treat her symptoms. She is now medication and pain free living happily and healthy. But I suppose it’s just a fad.

I did low carb keto for over a year and it worked great. Even though I consumed a lot of fat my bloodwork was great at the time. Think my triglycerides were like 38 or some absurdly low number. I think Carnivore diet works because it is an elimination diet. Mainly you are eliminating all the processed crap that is out there in the form of carbs and sugar. Wouldn’t you know it but all that crap causes all sorts of problems in our body. Although hard to adhere to I applaud anyone with the discipline to do it so hats off to you op.

OP
Sherman

Sherman

WKR
Especially how you will be able to stay on it during a hunt food wise.
Homemade goose/deer/elk sticks, freeze dried meats with butter flakes, and instant coffee with butter.

The longer I’m on this, the less I need to consume while maintaining high levels of energy throughout the day and sharp mental clarity. It’s awesome.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Why not just maintain a natural diet while you consume the correct amount of calories for the rest of your existence? Meanwhile work at a good fitness program of flexibility, strength, aerobic capacity and get your caloric deficit thru exercise.

Well- what is a “natural” diet?

The issue with that, as neat as it sounds, is everything points to hominids evolving largely on a animal protein and fat diet, with some roots/tubers. Not grains or the massive amount of vegetables that agriculture produces. It takes way longer than a couple thousand years to change a species ability to process different foods.

sacklunch

WKR
I wonder if he does dead hangs