Career vs Hobbies - how to balance them

rclouse79

WKR
Personal life is hands down the top priority.

Wife/hobbies/etc...

Work is to support everything else.

I have a pretty successful business, doing what I enjoy. Wife has a good career she enjoys. We do fairly well.

But our focus is definitely not on building wealth.
Smart man to order them wife/hobbies/etc as opposed to hobbies/wife/etc. You never know when she might be looking over your shoulder.

madcalfe

WKR
well take it for what's its worth but I work in the oil patch. so long hours/ numerous days away from home.
I started when I was 18. in my early 20's I would work up to 60 days straight then take off a week or 2 (the oil patch was a much funner time back then lemme tell you) now that im 30 making way more than what i did when i first started ill only do about 30 days straight and then 2 weeks off. and literally just schedule days off whenever something comes up or if I'm over work. August though is sheep hunting and I take the whole month off.

it’s not binary- you can have can both if you are capable.

Read the book “Rich Dad Poor Dad”. May give you ideas.

Many different ways to accomplish all life’s goals, but ultimately the sooner you realize this is Your only Life to live, and wether you enjoy it and are fulfilled is only up to you, no one else.

My mom told me that when she was a kid my grandpa did mostly construction type work and if they wouldn’t let him have hunting season off he’d quit right before the season and have something lined up for after the season. I guess he did this for years until he got a job for a guy who understood and let him take the season off every year. He died with a modest house and no money in the bank etc. but he hunted and fished everywhere every year. I myself have had opportunities to make more money but it is always at the cost of more of my time. I’ve had the same job I don’t like for 15 years because I’m able to make decent enough money and reasonable enough time to do the things I want. If I want more money for a hunt or gear or whatever I just do handyman side jobs on the weekends in the off season so I’m not committed to anything when I want to be off. Sucks going to a job every day that you don’t like, but I really enjoy the time off and try to make the most of it.

cfdjay

WKR

Many different ways to accomplish all life’s goals, but ultimately the sooner you realize this is Your only Life to live, and wether you enjoy it and are fulfilled is only up to you, no one else.

I agree. I feel I've reached that "sweet spot" of having the best of both worlds. I'm "living my best life" as the kids say. haha

I give up a little money at my job but they pretty much let me take off whenever I want for hunting season. It doesn't hurt that I told them at my interview I was leaving immediately after for a week of elk hunting so I set my terms pretty early on.

...that said, I'm always pushing them to pay me more.

And the lady understands that I'm around whenever I'm not gone. Happy wife happy life, right?

I never bought into the whole "can't have cake and eat it too" or whatever.

I definitely do things that I technically can't afford and don't get home improvements done in the name of taking trips and buying gear. I would rather have the experiences in the end, I do believe.

jdmaxwell

WKR
I feel fortunate. I have 20 yrs in Land Management for State Agency improving Habitat for Wildlife and opportunities for hunters and really enjoy most days.

Good secure job, benefits and good amounts of vacation..

I could make alot more money at other jobs I could do with my qualifications,
But money isn't everything.

My wife and I live within our means, don't have fancy toys, or eat out much.

But we are able to go on multiple hunting trips out of state per year because that's what we enjoy most.
Just what works for us.

WCB

WKR
I don't get the choice as the OP says between more money more toys etc. and then the scenario of making "enough" to pay bills and enjoy whatever.

Live a simple life without the need for all these "toys". Get finances in order and a guy can do pretty well for themselves beyond just "paying bills" and probably have a few toys. It should also be noted that A LOT of people who make more money and have more toys actual then HAVE to work and make that money to support their "lifestyle". I have never got the having to spend more because you make more policy.

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
It’s all about balance in my eyes. Could get hit by a truck tomorrow, if that’s the case what’s it all the work worth. Also, could live for the next 60 years, if that’s the case need to save and invest. I’ve also determined I don’t care what other people think success is (ie, fancy vehicles, toys, house, and the works) most people have that because they are in debt on 6-12 year notes, they have nice fancy things but can’t miss a paycheck in order to make the payments.

OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
I don't get the choice as the OP says between more money more toys etc. and then the scenario of making "enough" to pay bills and enjoy whatever.

Live a simple life without the need for all these "toys". Get finances in order and a guy can do pretty well for themselves beyond just "paying bills" and probably have a few toys. It should also be noted that A LOT of people who make more money and have more toys actual then HAVE to work and make that money to support their "lifestyle". I have never got the having to spend more because you make more policy.
I agree with you, just because I would make more doesn't mean I need to spend more. I think the point I was trying to make was a rough generalization of increased income = more "fun" money. Thanks for the input though. I grew up listening to Dave Ramsey on AM radio in the tractor during the spring and fall. So definitely onboard with living a simple life and having finances in order.

Last edited:
OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
Find a low maintenance woman who makes lots of $$$.

Trophy husband (I'm more of a participation trophy level type of guy but that's not the point...).

Problem solved.
Hahaha! No need to brag!

OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR

Thanks, I'll add the book to my list!

OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
I struggle with this constantly. I initially set out to get into a career that would allow me the time off and the money to do what I wanted for fun. I have done well in that regard, I never have to do overtime, I never work evenings, weekends and I get around 4 months off a year. I also get paid quite well for the amount of time I put in at work.

That part is nice but I am often unmotivated at work and not excited or stimulated by my work. Sometimes that is okay because I have no desire to be somebody who is obsessed with their job (I grew up around those people and saw the regret they had when they got older). I sort of wish there was something more I could do. Luckily I'm finishing my advanced degrees which will open up a lot more doors for me.

The problem is that I know 100% than once I move up into a different position and use that masters degree, I will instantly wish I had my time off like I did before, but then I'll be trapped by the money. I hear this all the time from people in my field. They tell me they wish they had known how good they had it before getting into the upper management type stuff. No that they are there, they simply can't take a pay cut to go back and they have far more stress and less time off.

It is sort of like I have a devil and an angel on my shoulders, my mom would be horrified to learn I had the potential to work more (and earn more) but didn't use it. My dad would be happy that I was putting my free time first before work.

I don't have an answer but I think about this a lot.
We might be brothers because my folks have almost identical opinions as your parents. Good luck with your Masters degree!

I took a pretty big pay cut and no longer work for a company I really liked. It was specifically to get closer to what I love doing. We had a real nice house and extra cash but in the end were less happy in a state with no mountains or public land.

Last edited:

Steelhead

FNG
Man you have to be careful. It’s so easy to not see what’s coming and you can get your tail stuck in a crack without even noticing. Construction and warehouse work through my teens and 20’s, Time to fish and hunt, backpack, spearfish, get married, adventure.
…then almost at the same time we got pregnant and I got offered a “desk job” with a big bump in pay.
Hey, why not? Personal growth and more money is a good thing right?

Then some health stuff changed and my wife wasn’t going back to work after having the kid.
Hey, that’s cool, its better overall for child raisin right?

Then a couple big medical bills hit us.
…did I mention we had a mortgage on a beater house that was barely treading water in market value? And that without my wife’s income we could barely squeak by keeping the lights on?...and that rents had skyrocketed to the same price as our mortgage?

…did I mention that I figured out, too late, that the desk job was a horrible match? 2 hour commutes each way. Depression and anxiety ruled my soul. 3 weeks off per year and not at the same time. Hemorrhaging money.
We don’t come from money. Nobody to help, not even a room to move into with extended family. Stuck. Panic. Treading Water and trying to be patient and not lose my sh!t completely…just mostly…

So we treaded water for well over a decade, watching time slip by but barely keeping a roof over my wife and daughter’s heads. I lost everything outside of the house, sold all my fishing rods except one, all the firearms except the one’s that weren’t worth anything, savings, gone, anything of value sold.
Then the housing market tilted and we had a window and GTFO of that life and rolled the dice again, this time with our goals and values solidly in focus. Downsized and simplified.

Went from a naïve and happy 30 year old to a burned out 40-something in what felt like the blink of an eye. In my 50’s now, still licking my wounds and watching that horizon.
Nothing unique here, just that I’ve never been motivated by making money and I still got caught. I can still remember the morning I got into my car to start my long commute and it dawned on me how “stuck” I was. Too late. It's noble and solid to sacrifice for those you love, just try not to sacrifice your whole soul while you do it. No bueno.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider
Man you have to be careful. It’s so easy to not see what’s coming and you can get your tail stuck in a crack without even noticing. Construction and warehouse work through my teens and 20’s, Time to fish and hunt, backpack, spearfish, get married, adventure.
…then almost at the same time we got pregnant and I got offered a “desk job” with a big bump in pay.
Hey, why not? Personal growth and more money is a good thing right?

Then some health stuff changed and my wife wasn’t going back to work after having the kid.
Hey, that’s cool, its better overall for child raisin right?

Then a couple big medical bills hit us.
…did I mention we had a mortgage on a beater house that was barely treading water in market value? And that without my wife’s income we could barely squeak by keeping the lights on?...and that rents had skyrocketed to the same price as our mortgage?

…did I mention that I figured out, too late, that the desk job was a horrible match? 2 hour commutes each way. Depression and anxiety ruled my soul. 3 weeks off per year and not at the same time. Hemorrhaging money.
We don’t come from money. Nobody to help, not even a room to move into with extended family. Stuck. Panic. Treading Water and trying to be patient and not lose my sh!t completely…just mostly…

So we treaded water for well over a decade, watching time slip by but barely keeping a roof over my wife and daughter’s heads. I lost everything outside of the house, sold all my fishing rods except one, all the firearms except the one’s that weren’t worth anything, savings, gone, anything of value sold.
Then the housing market tilted and we had a window and GTFO of that life and rolled the dice again, this time with our goals and values solidly in focus. Downsized and simplified.

Went from a naïve and happy 30 year old to a burned out 40-something in what felt like the blink of an eye. In my 50’s now, still licking my wounds and watching that horizon.
Nothing unique here, just that I’ve never been motivated by making money and I still got caught. I can still remember the morning I got into my car to start my long commute and it dawned on me how “stuck” I was. Too late. It's noble and solid to sacrifice for those you love, just try not to sacrifice your whole soul while you do it. No bueno.

I appreciate this perspective the most.

My wife accuses me of chasing money too much and not relaxing enough with her and the kids, my answer is always “well at least I’m not lazy” or “we could be broke again, never know”. It’s a selfish response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Getting philosophical, I like it. As a high school physics teacher I am not a fan of other teachers who complain about pay. Teachers who went into this job planning to become rich are idiots who probably do not deserve their current paycheck. A while back I added up the number of school days I work during the year. If I were to take the amount of money I make per work day and multiply it by 365 days I still wouldn't be rich, but would compare to a lot of other jobs most people consider to be "better" or "higher paying". I wouldn't trade my time off for the extra money I could make.
My dad was an optometrist who made a comfortable living. I feel like he had a good work-life balance and still had money put away for retirement. At 60 years old he was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's and didn't live to see his 70th birthday.
Life is all about balance, and my wife and I are trying to be responsible with our finances. That being said, my dad is a good reminder for me to enjoy the time and blessings I have now because there is no guarantee for tomorrow
It's refreshing to hear a teacher say that.