CarbonSix vs PVA prefit experience

lintond

WKR
Thought I’d share my first experience with the Tikka prefit game. Hopefully this information is helpful to others. Assembly of these builds ended up about the same time so figured it was a good side by side comparison.

CarbonSix 6.5 PRC
22”
Barrel weight - 44oz
Order date: 11/8/23 (pre holiday sale)
Received: 8/15/24 (9 months)
Price: $980 - $95 ($885 total) refund for thread protector. See notes below.

- Was quoted 4 months initially. Told in May they’d received the barrel and was 6-7 months from order. Told 1-2 weeks in July and didn’t receive for another month. Clearly they don’t have a handle on their backlog & production capacities.
- Was hopeful to use this for spring bear based on original estimate, but that didn’t happen.
- When the barrel was ready to ship they notified me their machine for blended thread protectors was down and it would be a couple more weeks. Apparently building & shipping that separate isn’t an option so I elected for a knurled protector to avoid any delays. They did give me an unsolicited refund $95 for an original $50 add on.
- Overall I am hesitant to buy from C6 in the future because I don’t trust they have a handle on their production. I’d rather have somebody just tell me the truth up front even if it’s a long time. Don’t over promise.

PVA 6 CM 0.75 taperless 7 spiral flutes w/ thread protector
20”
Barrel weight - 38.9 oz (Rough math is about 3.5oz more for 2” to compare to 22” C6)
Order date: 7/31/24
Received: 8/26/24 (3.5 weeks) USPS lost it for almost a week
Price: $1050 w/ $100 2 week rush.

- I elected to order this because I had no idea when I’d actually see my C6 barrel. Initially I planned this for a 2025 project.
- When ordering Ben was very helpful on build specs and knew exactly where production was. Informed me that fluting was tooled up for another big job and could be the hold up. Said they’d refund the rush fee if it was missed. Checked in a week later and barrel was ready minus fluting. Was offered to ship then or wait. I elected to wait and it didn’t hold things up by only a few days.

- Both barrels torqued to 75 w/ anti seize
- Head spaced with PTA go & no-go gauges
- Removing the factory barrels was the hardest part of the build.

Will follow up with how they shoot. Loading for the PRC and shooting Hornady 108 ELDM factory with the CM.

6.5 PRC
1f81f0a71e05c90bf919bc736d5390ff.jpg

6CM
5f405141bd947bb60b702fdafd5cfca5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxLite

WKR
C6 lead times are incredibly long but I’ve personally had good luck with the quality received on my one barrel from them. Mine shoots lights out but I think in the future I’ll likely just end up ordering a McGowan prefit since that’s whose blanks they are using and the lead time is much shorter.

I do find the weight differences interesting though. I realize you’re 2” shorter on the steel barrel but taperless with flutes being 5oz lighter surprises me.

Hope they both shoot great for you.

Edit to add- I much prefer the aesthetics of a carbon barrel but when it’s twice the cost and takes almost a year to receive it, it’s just not worth it imo. Especially considering that one of the big selling points is “weight savings” over a steel barrel, which obviously doesn’t amount to much.

Last edited:
OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
C6 lead times are incredibly long but I’ve personally had good luck with the quality received on my one barrel from them. Mine shoots lights out but I think in the future I’ll likely just end up ordering a McGowan prefit since that’s whose blanks they are using and the lead time is much shorter.

I do find the weight differences interesting though. I realize you’re 2” shorter on the steel barrel but taperless with flutes being 5oz lighter surprises me.

Edit to add- I much prefer the aesthetics of a carbon barrel but when it’s twice the cost and takes almost a year to receive it, it’s just not worth it imo. Especially considering that one of the big selling points is “weight savings” over a steel barrel, which obviously doesn’t amount to much.

I went carbon because I do like the look and perceived weight savings if you need the shoulder to suppress.

Doesn’t seem to be the case in this instance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyJ

WKR
Haven't shot a C6 barrel but I have a proof, PVA, xcaliber, and a criterion. The PVA is the shooter of the group for sure. However, none of them are slouches. I take the xcaliber out to 1200 regularly as well as the proof. I'm sitting on 100rds to break in the criterion but I have high hopes for it too.

However, if I'm putting my money down on this, it's on the PVA.

You can always get steel lighter than standard Proof or Bartlein carbon options, without fluting.

You can always get steel lighter than standard Proof or Bartlein carbon options, without fluting.

Yep, I think that is one of the biggest misconceptions in the barrel game. That carbon barrels are significantly lighter than steel barrels.

ehayes

Lil-Rokslider
How does the PVA shank fit into the stock. Ive read they’re slightly thicker than tikka OEM. Did you have to open it up?

What contour is your stock with the PVA?

Is the PVA the standard freebore and 1:7 twist? I’m also looking to shooting factory 108 so I’m interested in your results.

Thanks for any info