• Euro

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • Shoulder

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be in Moz in a couple of months and working on some logistics. I've been going back and forth on a Euro or shoulder mount for my cape buffalo. Logistically and cost, the Euro is much easier of course, but the shoulder mounts look so cool. Maybe some groupthink can push me one way or the other.

WCB

WKR
I don't but my grandpa has 3 shoulder mounted buffs and a euro. I like them all...however if you get a shoulder mount spend the money and get it done by a good taxidermist I've seen some look like crap.

Maxhunter

WKR
As I get older I like euro. Easier to hang. Also when that day comes and you pass it’s easier for your family to get rid of them. Also the money you save from not getting a shoulder mount can be spent on another hunt. 😜

Last edited:

Chase0109

FNG
I don’t know if I can help push you one way or the other. But I can give you a little info to think about. I just did my first Buffalo Hunt in Mozambique last October. Going through the taxidermy process currently.

I decided to do a wall pedestal mount with my bull. This will be my first real taxidermy mount as I usually do euros with elk. I’ve always wanted to hunt Buffalo so a wall pedestal will let me look at him every day and relive the hunt, so I think money well spent.

But it’s going to cost a lot! if I remember correct Emiac is the only company that moves trophies from Mozambique to South Africa. My bill just to get my Buffalo and croc from Mozambique to South Africa is almost $2200. The Buffalo alone would be almost $1700. I’m using SSI as a broker and between them Shipping fees, and permits I’m expecting it to be $4000 to get them back to my US taxidermist. That’s just dip/pack. Then it’s looking like another $3300 to have the wall pedestal done. So I figure all in I’m planning on it costing me a $10,000 taxidermy bill for the wall pedestal Buffalo, euro croc skull, and croc flat skin.

Going forward, I may do euros on future Buffalo and bring them home. Depends on cost. But depending on cost, I might just take pictures and not bring any trophies home. The only exception will be if I shoot a truly OIL buffalo something 45+ inches then I would have that wall pedestal mounted as well. The freight and fees is just getting so expensive. It’s almost not worth it to bring trophies back for me personally.

I’ll be in Zimbabwe in September on a tuskless elephant hunt. Thankfully it’s non-exportable so I don’t have to worry about any taxidermy fees on this one lol.

You’re going to have an amazing time in Mozambique! I would give up all NA big game hunting if I could hunt buffalo every year in Mozambique or Zimbabwe. What area are you hunting in? What are the dates of your hunt?

I see from your profile. You’re also Falconer.

Chase
IMG_0018.jpegIMG_0020.jpegIMG_0019.jpeg

jpr9954

FNG
I just got back from South Africa. I did Euro mounts for my springbuck, hartebeest, and bushbuck. However, I went with a shoulder/pedestal mount for my nyala. The nyala was just too beautiful to go with just a skull mount.

I guess it would depend on whether you intend to go back to hunt Cape buffalo again. If you do and you think you'll get an even better daggaboy, go with the Euro.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm at the point where I like euros for most everything. I think a high quality photograph-that you could put in a nice frame- and a well done euro is the path I'd go with.

jpr9954

FNG
I'm at the point where I like euros for most everything. I think a high quality photograph-that you could put in a nice frame- and a well done euro is the path I'd go with.

I think you may be correct. I remember attending a "tips for newbies" seminar at the Dallas Safari Club convention. One of the speakers said the savings from not doing taxidermy allowed him to take an extra hunt per year. He just takes pictures now and frames them like you suggested.

From everything I'm reading and hearing, the cost of shipping has gotten outrageous.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not big on taxidermy at all personally. I think they are really cool, just not for me. I would love to have a few in the house but I wouldn’t love to pay for them.

Maybe it’s because I’m young with a young family and I’d rather spend money on other things. (I could either shoulder mount this critter, or buy another suppressor… or another rifle. the choice is easy)

I don’t think there’s an animal in the world worth being mounted if I am the one stroking the check. I always joke with my dad that if I shoot a world class deer it is getting euro’d in the driveway after it spends 5 years in my freezer waiting for me to get around to it.

That said, Cape buffalo look absolutely menacing as a shoulder mount. Since you’re paying for it and not me (lol) my vote is shoulder mount 100% of the time.

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I did a euro with a print on canvas right next to it. I sold the cape to the taxidermist and he gave me credit off some of the work. Shipping costs nowadays would add even more to the shoulder mount.

WCB

WKR
I didn't study the picture too much before my first comment. But looking at your Buff it looks like it has fairly "soft" bosses. Just be aware you'll lose almost the whole front of those bosses on a euro and it may look "odd"