NXS 2.5-10x24 or …

This is the exact dilemma I’m in. Same exact scope. And same issues I have. Eye relief is rough at highest power and I really am so used to dialing for distance with all of my other scopes the swfa always leaves me wanting that. But 11 ounces is a big loss when trying to stay uberlite.

And then to just muddy the waters even more…I have the Trijicon Credo HX on ALL of my other guns and it is only 3 ounces heavier than the NXS 42. And that’s $700 cheaper still. So do I just say if I’m going to “add weight”, do I just add this scope instead due to familiarity and cost. Analysis Paralysis? Mental Masturbation? Call it what you want, but I’m really struggling deciding.
Sounds like great minds think alike lol! I too have the credo 2.5-15 on my other two "lightweight" rifles, and the tenmile 3-18 on my "big" 6.5prc. Good scopes all around, just increasing in weight as features and zoom is added.

After extensive experience with Mil-R, I think that’s a terrible reticle choice for this optic.
I can’t imagine using such a thin reticle in anything but perfect light with a 24 mm objective.

They should have offered the FC-DMx, or atleast the Mil Dot that I have in my NXS 2.5-10x32.
So here’s the question, if you aren’t planning on shooting a pile of long range with these two scopes with the odd option for the little bit of dialing to say 300 max would you just go with one of these or stick with a 1-8 nx8 FCDMX?

I have a 308 Adirondack which I plan on timber hunting elk or having as a lightweight backup gun when I don’t plan on being the main shooter.
Second would be to replace the 1-6 credo HX on my 375 talkeetna.

So here’s the question, if you aren’t planning on shooting a pile of long range with these two scopes with the odd option for the little bit of dialing to say 300 max would you just go with one of these or stick with a 1-8 nx8 FCDMX?

I have a 308 Adirondack which I plan on timber hunting elk or having as a lightweight backup gun when I don’t plan on being the main shooter.
Second would be to replace the 1-6 credo HX on my 375 talkeetna.
I would say that the NX8 1-8 with that reticle would be a better option. I did however use a NX8 1-8 with the previous Mil reticle that I was not a fan of. The focus and quality of image above 6x was pretty difficult to live with and the large center dot was too big to be precise. The new 1-8 with the FCdMX reticle I played with for a bit seemed to have better focus above 6x and the reticle was pretty sweet.

Kurts86

WKR
I think you guys are missing the point of this scope release. This scope release is to please the clone correct AR crowd trying to build an SPR from the GWoT years and not a lightweight hunting scope.

I think you guys are missing the point of this scope release. This scope release is to please the clone correct AR crowd trying to build an SPR from the GWoT years and not a lightweight hunting scope.
This is spot on, it even says it in the description of the scope on the website. It was a scope built for a specific rifle system, to do a specific job.

Which is the exact reason I’ll be buying another Maven RS 1.2 & selling off a Nightforce, to support a company listening to Hunters over one thats catering to Larping. How many of us have reached out to NF over the years and voiced what we need as hunters and been completely ignored?

I don’t know if anyone missed the point of its purpose, it’s just the fact that for a long time we’ve been forced to try and make due with non ideal scopes, due to the fact that Nightforce is one of the few companies building scopes durable enough to withstand field conditions.

Last edited:
I'm going to try and get one claimed here for my 375. I don't think I can put an NX8 on it anyway with the mounting length along with Tenebraex covers with my quick measurement.

I'd try an NX8 1-8 FcDMx on my little 308 though.

OP
passinggas33
I agree that this scope was intended for “shoooting people/targets” and not animals, but as others have mentioned, I’m trying to make the best with what is available. I was hoping this was it. But the more I research it, for MY hunting purposes I just don’t thing this is the scope for me. The weight gain related to this scope just isn’t worth it. I’m either going to stick with my SWFA and deal with its challenges, or buy the 2.5-10x42, or another Trijicon Credo HX. If I’m going to “gain weight” on my gun, those two are better for my application (better features and price with small weight differences from the 24). Now to decide if I’m ready to gain weight on my Ulatralite build or stick with what I’ve got 🤔