Canoe vs Kayaks for Fishing/General Use

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I’m leaning heavily towards getting a Nucanoe. I found one in Ohio off FB Marketplace for a good price. It looks like it does everything well enough. Rides high, comfortable, my kids can sit in it and fish and be super stable, my dog can hunt from it (they make a blind for it), etc. it’s heavy 80# I think, but still light enough that I can manage it alone. It’s a Nucanoe Frontier 12, Jerry rigged with an electric outboard and some other redneck engineering, but I can work on that. For the price I would be paying, getting the Nucanoe with a motor is pretty dang good.

@wesfromky
@*zap*
@Hnthrdr
@Fatcamp
@Yoder
@summs

Jimbee

WKR
Tandem kayaks are pretty handy for one person if you get a little weight up front. I have 2 Old Town tandem kayaks. Put a kid/dog/cooler up front and go. Way more stable than a canoe imo.

Rich M

WKR
Sportspal and radisson have canoes that are like boats. Mu uncle has the canoe version and they are very tough, light - very light. They make em 12-14-16 ft long.

https://www.atkenco.com/radisson-ca...MIoLi0kMCohQMVb4ZaBR1pogmmEAQYASABEgJ0TfD_BwE

I may end up getting one of these before too long to add to my fleet. Got rid of my last canoe in about 1997 and had 2 kayaks since but never used em. If i still lived up north I'd have one of the Radisson 14 or 16 ft version.

Kayaks are very popular down here in FL and the folks love em - a good kayak will float like a leaf.

Fatcamp

WKR
I’m leaning heavily towards getting a Nucanoe. I found one in Ohio off FB Marketplace for a good price. It looks like it does everything well enough. Rides high, comfortable, my kids can sit in it and fish and be super stable, my dog can hunt from it (they make a blind for it), etc. it’s heavy 80# I think, but still light enough that I can manage it alone. It’s a Nucanoe Frontier 12, Jerry rigged with an electric outboard and some other redneck engineering, but I can work on that. For the price I would be paying, getting the Nucanoe with a motor is pretty dang good.

@wesfromky
@*zap*
@Hnthrdr
@Fatcamp
@Yoder
@summs

The good news is that if you buy it used for a fair price you can always get your money back.

I've had all manner of canoes, kayaks, v-hulls, and jon boats. I haven't lost any money on them. Just have to buy smart.

But it and try it.

mjh

FNG
Wenonah Prospector Canoe. If you can find an older one in Royalex that is in decent shape so much the better.

I am definitely a canoe guy. I do not like the sit in kayaks at all. I've used the small ones on local lakes and sea kayaks on Lake Superior and the Fjords of Norway. Too much cramping up and pain involved. I have not tried sit on top kayaks. Weight of the boat is an issue.

Native Watercraft Ultimate FX 12 (60lbs) and FX 15 (80lbs) looks interesting to me but again the weight. My Old Town Pack is about 35lbs and our Prospector is 58lbs, our aluminum canoe at grandma's cabin is likely in the 70 to 80lbs range.

For an easy to transport watercraft I like to stay at 60lbs or less if at all possible.

Will start by saying I am not a huge fisherman anymore, mainly hunt. I have used single and tandem kayaks for hunting for years, as well as canoes. I have floated in nu canoe as well.

The kayak, sit in models, wins for stability for sure and ease of paddling, but at the cost of very limited cockpit space for gear and yourself. Try getting two turkeys into a tandem with two guys and turkey gear, it was a goat rope.

The canoe wins for space and load capacity, as well as versatility, but less stable, although some models are very stable.

The Nu canoe is a comprise of both and very useful, but at a weight cost. I almost bought one but stuck with my canoes.

IMHO weight of the boat is super important to me as a I get older and as I put mine on top of my SUV. When I was younger the 16 foot tandem old town loon kayak was my go to for all, but at 74 ish pounds it was a bear to handle. A nu canoe weights more.

I now use a Old Town 14-7 Pathfinder canoe. It has a 35.5 wide flat bottom and most importantly is made of the older Royalex material, which is lighter and stronger than the poly stuff the use now. Royalex was the go-to for top end canoes for years but the manufacture quit making it. It weighs a manageable 57 lbs. Room for two guys and duck gear.

Solo now I use an Old Town Discover 119, almost a hybrid canoe kayak, seat is in the center and very low, I use a kayak paddle. It has just enough room for me, 50lb dog and small decoy set. It is a poly boat and weighs 50 lbs.

My advise is find an older royalex short/wide canoe for the all-round use factor and weight.

Spence

Will start by saying I am not a huge fisherman anymore, mainly hunt. I have used single and tandem kayaks for hunting for years, as well as canoes. I have floated in nu canoe as well.

The kayak, sit in models, wins for stability for sure and ease of paddling, but at the cost of very limited cockpit space for gear and yourself. Try getting two turkeys into a tandem with two guys and turkey gear, it was a goat rope.

The canoe wins for space and load capacity, as well as versatility, but less stable, although some models are very stable.

The Nu canoe is a comprise of both and very useful, but at a weight cost. I almost bought one but stuck with my canoes.

IMHO weight of the boat is super important to me as a I get older and as I put mine on top of my SUV. When I was younger the 16 foot tandem old town loon kayak was my go to for all, but at 74 ish pounds it was a bear to handle. A nu canoe weights more.

I now use a Old Town 14-7 Pathfinder canoe. It has a 35.5 wide flat bottom and most importantly is made of the older Royalex material, which is lighter and stronger than the poly stuff the use now. Royalex was the go-to for top end canoes for years but the manufacture quit making it. It weighs a manageable 57 lbs. Room for two guys and duck gear.

Solo now I use an Old Town Discover 119, almost a hybrid canoe kayak, seat is in the center and very low, I use a kayak paddle. It has just enough room for me, 50lb dog and small decoy set. It is a poly boat and weighs 50 lbs.

My advise is find an older royalex short/wide canoe for the all-round use factor and weight.

Spence
I just learned about the Old Town Discovery 119, the original model. It seems ideal for solo hunting, but it's harder to find than the Sportsman model Old Town is selling, which doesn't have enough weight capacity to be worth it.

Old Town Discovery 119

Yes. I scored an original discovery on Craigslist for 350 like new with lots extras. It had an hour one way drive, but I took it right away. The sportsman isn’t worth the money as well. Like 1k.

VernAK

WKR
I see a use for both types. I've owned and used canoes for 70 tears and am down to only two. A 21' Scott and a 17' aluminum. For my use, moose and duck hunting as well as wilderness travel, I'll stay with the canoe. On my frequent fishing trips to Baja over 30 years, I often wished I had a sit-on kayak to fish on calmer days. Rooster fish from a kayak would be a hoot.

@TheCougar, I have a Nucanoe Frontier 12 and generally love it.

I have had myself, my girlfriend, and our 90lb lab on it. No worries whatsoever with stability. It is heavy, as far as loading and unloading. Paddles/tracks very well. I have had the boat for five years or so.

You can fish two people but it's hard for two to paddle together. Typically, I paddle while she fishes. Alone, I can stand to fish from it.

Hunting, it would definitely be a one person deal unless you were using it as a transport only or doing a float with a front shooter.

Since you sit up so high, it catches a lot of wind. I find that 10mph is about the max to be fishable, but I really only have bigger bodies of water to fish. I don't have one of the parachute drag things, that might help- not sure. The seats are very comfortable but I find myself sitting cock-eyed often.

Like you said, it does everything well. I really like the open deck and ability to customize where you sit, where your rod holders go, etcetera.

Like anything that tries to be a jack of all, it leaves something to be desired along the way. I would decide based on the primary use case whether it's the right fit. All in, I would buy it again.

Lately, I have really wanted to try an Oldtown with a lower, fixed seat but I don't really need it, nor is it in my gear budget.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it.

Last edited:
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
@TheCougar, I have a Nucanoe Frontier 12 and generally love it.

I have had myself, my girlfriend, and our 90lb lab on it. No worries whatsoever with stability. It is heavy, as far as loading and unloading. Paddles/tracks very well. I have had the boat for five years or so.

You can fish two people but it's hard for two to paddle together. Typically, I paddle while she fishes. Alone, I can stand to fish from it.

Hunting, it would definitely be a one person deal unless you were using it as a transport only or doing a float with a front shooter.

Since you sit up so high, it catches a lot of wind. I find that 10mph is about the max to be fishable, but I really only have bigger bodies of water to fish. I don't have one of the parachute drag things, that might help- not sure. The seats are very comfortable but I find myself sitting cock-eyed often.

Like you said, it does everything well. I really like the open deck and ability to customize where you sit, where your rod holders go, etcetera.

Like anything that tries to be a jack of all, it leaves something to be desired along the way. I would decide based on the primary use case whether it's the right fit. All in, I would buy it again.

Lately, I have really wanted to try an Oldtown with a lower, fixed seat but I don't really need it, nor is it in my gear budget.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it.
That’s a perfect review. Thank you!

I dipped my toes into fishing from a kayak. The general consensus for fishing the Hobie Pro Angler is the top dog. Lots of $$$$. I purchased the VanHunks Pro Angler it is significantly cheaper and something that VanHunks doesn’t advertise is the Hobie Miragedrive 180 fits their kayaks. So I purchased the kayak without the drive and bought the Hobie drive instead. I think at the time the difference in price between the drives was $400. And that got you reverse and kick-up fins. I got my kayak at Eco Fishing Supply

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I love my kayak for fishing, I started with a cheap Costco one and over the years have sold and upgraded and now I'm in a Hobie and wouldn't trade it for anything.
That said if I didn't stand when I fish I'd go with a canoe. My father in law loves the old town pack canoes. I think he has a nice 12' camo discovery with almost no use for sell right now if you are close to northern California

Seth

WKR
From whitewater to fishing lakes, I’ve always preferred a canoe. I’ve used both, but like the room, versatility, and capacity of my Old Town. I also have a Sea to Summit wheel set for it that aids in launching from more remote access points.

WKR
I've got a 12-ft canoe on my wish-list that weighs all of 25#. It's not cheap and I bet the dog's claws would tear through it without a thought as would any creek-bed rocks. But for 25# I can easily put that boat on the top of the car by myself and can carry it through the woods into some remote little ponds.
I've got a 14' Hornbeck that weighs 25#. You'd be surprised how many rock impacts Kevlar will withstand.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
I've got an oldtown pedal kayak and it's a game changer for fishing. Not having a paddle always in your hands is amazing for actively fishing. Pedal kayaks have the ability to instantly reverse as opposed to hobie kickfins where I believe you have to pull a cord to go from forward to reverse. I can't fathom going back to paddling while fishing, although a canoe is world's lighter.

WKR
I'm a canoe lover. Many trips to BWCA and Quetico where light and stable were important. I used to own this canoe when I lived in the midwest. Its 37 pounds and a stable fishing boat. Paddles very easy. Buy once, cry once. But you won't want to leave it out in a wind storm.

Crusader

WKR

I dipped my toes into fishing from a kayak. The general consensus for fishing the Hobie Pro Angler is the top dog. Lots of $$$$. I purchased the VanHunks Pro Angler it is significantly cheaper and something that VanHunks doesn’t advertise is the Hobie Miragedrive 180 fits their kayaks. So I purchased the kayak without the drive and bought the Hobie drive instead. I think at the time the difference in price between the drives was $400. And that got you reverse and kick-up fins. I got my kayak at Eco Fishing Supply
Can you put two seats in the VanHunks PA?