Canada US border open?!?!

Pk_in_Dallas

Lil-Rokslider
Canadians can come here but not the other way around. Canadian outfitters are going to feel it when US hunters have formed new relationships with US outfitters because of the closure and that may mean fewer people go back North of the border when the border reopens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If you want to make predictions about the future then you have to look at past actions. All signs point to this being a long closure.

So why only close it for a short period of time then keep extending that? Well, that is the tactic the governments are using.

"We need to shut things down for 3 weeks because of the transmissions at Christmas". 3 weeks go by numbers lowest in months. New announcement 'we need to shut down for another month because we detected a variant and we don't want that to get out of control".

The reason we get these short restrictions that just keep getting extended is that it gives us hope. "We can do this only one more week?" "Things will be back to normal soon, don't worry" "Almost there, keep going"

The reality is we are in for the long haul but many people can't handle reality.

The Canadian government has no intention whatsoever to open the border in 15 days, or 30 days or 60 days but they won't say it and they won't close it down for that long.

Based on their past actions to this pandemic my prediction is they will not be opening the border until everyone is vaccinated and case numbers are basically nil.

Yup. Here we are almost at the 1 year anniversary of the 14 days until we flattened the curve.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
No freaking kidding.
Wear a mask!
Masks are ineffective!
Wear two masks!
It's mutating!
We're guessing here!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It’s getting stupid. I keep telling myself that eventually people are going to get fed up and say **** it....but that dosent seem to be a thing, people almost seem to enjoy it.

Get vaccinated!!!! But even then you have to keep wearing a mask and quarantining!!!!

The vaccine is here!!!!....and all of the sudden there are new, more dangerous strains...

Enough is enough.

Just found this today! For travellers arriving to Canada by land, as of February 15, 2021, all travellers, with some exceptions, will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test result taken in the United States within 72 hours of pre-arrival, or a positive test taken 14 to 90 days prior to arrival. In addition, as of February 22, 2021, travellers entering Canada at the land border will be required to take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival as well as toward the end of their 14-day quarantine.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Trudeau knows he can kill hunting in Canada by bankrupting all the outfitters by these measures. He doesn't have to pass any legislation on hunting.

tater

WKR
Trudeau knows he can kill hunting in Canada by bankrupting all the outfitters by these measures. He doesn't have to pass any legislation on hunting.

Hunting is not Federally regulated in Canada, and the SockPuppet doesn't care about what happens outside of the five major metropolitan areas of the East.

Elk97

WKR
Just found this today! For travellers arriving to Canada by land, as of February 15, 2021, all travellers, with some exceptions, will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test result taken in the United States within 72 hours of pre-arrival, or a positive test taken 14 to 90 days prior to arrival. In addition, as of February 22, 2021, travellers entering Canada at the land border will be required to take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival as well as toward the end of their 14-day quarantine.
That sounds promising. Do you have a link to where you saw this, wondering about by boat?

Okhotnik

WKR
I am not allowed to visit with friends, I have to wear a mask everywhere I go, my basketball team cannot scrimmage or play games (thankful that we can at least do some type of practice though), the vaccine won't be available to me until September.

Right now, Canadians returning to Canada need to quarantine at special hotels and pay a crazy fee.

Based on how the government is handling things I don't see how they will open the border until this thing is over. Once everyone has the vaccine that wants it and case numbers are in the single digits with no outbreaks in old age homes then I think they will open the borders.

Best case scenario border opens in the fall, Novemberish
Realistically I think it opens in 2022.

I hope I'm wrong but our governments are not going to suddenly change how they are handling this.
Interesting across the border in Idaho everything is normal and everything has been open since last June( gyms, bars, restaurants etc.), schools opened last Sept and hardly anyone wears a masks .

I was just at an elk banquet last night, over 200 people and no one was wearing a mask. Its almost as if the govt is lying

Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
If the hunting industry ever does open back up and guys get to go on their rescheduled hunts I will be interested to see the long term decline in United State Citizens risking investment in Canadian hunting trips. I personally will not ever take that risk again.

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting across the border in Idaho everything is normal and everything has been open since last June( gyms, bars, restaurants etc.), schools opened last Sept and hardly anyone wears a masks .

I was just at an elk banquet last night, over 200 people and no one was wearing a mask. Its almost as if the govt is lying
Oh surely the government wouldn't do that would they?? Surely........

WCB

WKR
So it is still essentially completely closed unless you have an extra 14 days to quarantine....this would be nice for people with family on each side of the border...but zero good news for hunting/fishing.

On another note. I bet the border is closed for over another year. Any bets?

KurtR

WKR
Waterfowl guiding industry will be crushed if they miss another year up there and North Dakota will be an even bigger circus.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Due to COVID-19, Canada shut down the cruise line industry until Februrary 2022 which had a
substantial economic impact ($130 milllion) to British Columbia.

I wonder how that $130 million compares to the guiding industry impacted in Canada?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/cruise-ban-extension-impact-1.5902177

Uhhh I can tell you. I live in Skagway. 100% cruise ship dependent for a lot of folks here...I’m watching a lot of 25+ year round residents staring down the barrel with no clue what to do. Really good people with the chances of losing everything...is that the risk of basing your livelihood on tourism? Maybe. Nonetheless it’s tragic to witness firsthand. Friends, family, people you don’t like, all not sure how they’re going to pay mortgages or bills. It’s rough for sure.

I’m super thankful to be essential to the function of town and be a necessity. The next 365 is going to be extremely interesting, to say the least. The border opening would honestly be the best news this town has seen since COVID started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elk97

WKR
So it is still essentially completely closed unless you have an extra 14 days to quarantine....this would be nice for people with family on each side of the border...but zero good news for hunting/fishing.

On another note. I bet the border is closed for over another year. Any bets?
The way I read it is that this only applies to Canadian citizens returning from US. It's still closed for non essential travel for US. And likely to stay that way for an extended time.

If the hunting industry ever does open back up and guys get to go on their rescheduled hunts I will be interested to see the long term decline in United State Citizens risking investment in Canadian hunting trips. I personally will not ever take that risk again.
I just sent my 2nd deposit check off for a 2023 hunt. I have confidence my outfitter will weather the storm.

Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I just sent my 2nd deposit check off for a 2023 hunt. I have confidence my outfitter will weather the storm.

I still hold out some little strand of hope for this year. Case numbers are dropping dramatically hospitalizations and death rates are on the decline. However now the governments are turning fear towards the new variants and the next wave.