Can we unite as Hunters?

bpurtz

WKR
I won't unite on these issues because I'm not a fan of hunting with hounds. Or even cat hunting at all. The "slippery slope" argument is non persuasive. We live on slippery slopes in all areas of life and law.

And I want wolves around. It is a waste of money to hasten it rather than continue letting it occur naturally, but it is their NR (largely) dollars to squander as they wish.
If a wolf kills a hound, good for him. Karma.
Are you opposed to deer and elk hunting as well? Oregon banned hound hunting for Mountain Lion in 1994, and deer and elk populations in some units have been decimated because of it. Instead of private houndsmen hunting cats, ODFW now has to hire contract hunters.

TheTone

WKR
My sadly honest opinion is that no we can’t unite because hunters are far too selfish.

I was reading just the other day about a guy that has spent millions on tags where his trophy room has benefited more than anything, his comment in the article was that he was leaving a legacy. I can’t think of the amount of lands he could have purchased and opened to everyone, large scale projects he could have funded, money he could have put to lobbying efforts; instead he has filled a trophy room and IMO eroded public hunting by furthering the push that those with the funds get extra and special opportunities

fatlander

WKR
The almighty dollar and using social media to acquire more of it has really muddied the water of uniting. Before “the industry”, “celebrity hunters”, and “influencers” it was much easier to get folks to rally together. Common folks sharing common values.

There’s so much money wrapped up in hunting today that it’s getting rotten. Hunting has been in this peril before and it took very powerful men taking a stand deciding to work towards undoing it. The difference then compared to now is that those men didn’t need the money from market hunting to continue. Now there are large private equity firms holding hunting companies.

It’s going to take so much to undo the shit we’re currently in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know that uniting hunters is even as necessary as just getting hunters to be involved. Look at the pathetic participation rates when there are open meetings. We don't all have to agree on most things but getting involved would go a long way.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
While reading this thread, I'm reminded why getting hunters on the same page is so difficult. Folks take some cheap shots just to say something. Others go of on one aspect of hunting like hunting with dogs or baiting bears. And support ballot box laws.
We as humans will never agree on everything. And our differences is our strength ! Hunters need to stand together against any ballot box laws. Non resident hunters support a lot of the fish n game budgets that pay for the biologists to manage for maximum success. They are generally just folks that want to enjoy a great experience and hopefully harvest some game for the table. If it's federal land, we Americans all own it.
For me,take one make one is very important. And I will do all I can to insure that my kids, grandkids and friends will have the best opportunity to hunt as they see fit. And be respectful of others that have different opinions. We're all in this together, no matter what you think . And we all need to learn to be supportive of others because we keep giving the anti hunting community more ammunition. And the ballot box votes that will some day take away more outdoors opportunities

Jakerex

WKR
The older I get, the more I realize that hunters are some of the biggest douche bags out there. A lot of hunters think they’re so cool because they hunt, and they think they’re better than non-hunters. I try to stay in my lane and do my own thing, and I only associate with other hunters who just hunt because they like to hunt….individuals who have never posted a picture of a kill on FB, or even know how to do so.

I wouldn’t want to unite with most of the hunters out there because they’re phuckin tool bags, but, I do donate my time and $$ for hunting related causes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Are you opposed to deer and elk hunting as well?

We are NOT going to lose the hunting of other species because more wolves and cats are on the landscape. The "slippery slope" argument just doesn't hold weight for me.

Yes, there will be fewer animals and fewer tags. Most states only share 10% of those tags with me anyway.

It's an ebb & flow. Maybe the state voters/agency/legislature will eventually see the relationship between a cat hunting ban and decreased NR tag/point revenue. Then, the pendulum swings and state X opens back up cat hunting, wolf hunting, etc... Or, they learn to live without those NR dollars and I buy more beef.

This is almost exclusively a hound issue. Hound hunting is often ugly and isn't fair chase. I'm more than willing to sacrifice all hound hunting to improve the image of hunting generally.

What I've noticed is this:

Conservatives are often loners and independent souls. They have the, "I do what I want. You go do what you want."
It isn't that they don't care about the outdoors, wildlife or conservation. They'd rather be outdoors rather than standing around with a bunch of politicos, trying to get more/less regulation.

Liberals, on the other hand, are the lynch mob in the middle of the street, screaming their desires.
The greatest percentage of them are ignorant of what they want done, they're just "following the crowd" because that's just what they do! ..... and as far as they're concerned. Gov't regulation is "good"!

woods89

WKR
We are NOT going to lose the hunting of other species because more wolves and cats are on the landscape. The "slippery slope" argument just doesn't hold weight for me.

Yes, there will be fewer animals and fewer tags. Most states only share 10% of those tags with me anyway.

It's an ebb & flow. Maybe the state voters/agency/legislature will eventually see the relationship between a cat hunting ban and decreased NR tag/point revenue. Then, the pendulum swings and state X opens back up cat hunting, wolf hunting, etc... Or, they learn to live without those NR dollars and I buy more beef.

This is almost exclusively a hound issue. Hound hunting is often ugly and isn't fair chase. I'm more than willing to sacrifice all hound hunting to improve the image of hunting generally.

How much personal experience do you have with hound hunting?

It'd be hard to come up with a more traditional aspect of hunting than men and dogs. In the Midwest where I live, the decline of hound hunting for coons, etc has resulted in major overpopulation issues, which in turn affects species like turkeys.

And I'm not even a hunting dog guy.

arock

Lil-Rokslider
How much personal experience do you have with hound hunting?

It'd be hard to come up with a more traditional aspect of hunting than men and dogs. In the Midwest where I live, the decline of hound hunting for coons, etc has resulted in major overpopulation issues, which in turn affects species like turkeys.

And I'm not even a hunting dog guy.
Watching a good groups of dogs work is a really cool thing. Those pups work. And the amount of time and effort it takes to get them dialed in is massive. Same thing with bird dogs. Just watching them work is an experience.

woods89

WKR
Watching a good groups of dogs work is a really cool thing. Those pups work. And the amount of time and effort it takes to get them dialed in is massive. Same thing with bird dogs. Just watching them work is an experience.
To me it's no messier than most other aspects of hunting. And I don't know of anyone who's actually followed hounds that doesn't think it's fair chase.

I grew up hunting pheasants behind a couple Goldens. We had so many good experiences with them.

Squincher

WKR
I won't unite on these issues because I'm not a fan of hunting with hounds. Or even cat hunting at all. The "slippery slope" argument is non persuasive. We live on slippery slopes in all areas of life and law.

And I want wolves around. It is a waste of money to hasten it rather than continue letting it occur naturally, but it is their NR (largely) dollars to squander as they wish.

So, you don't like hounds doing essentially what wolves do, but you're OK with wolves doing it. And wolves killing hounds is karma, but humans killing wolves isn't. That's quite a thought process.

So, you don't like hounds doing essentially what wolves do, but you're OK with wolves doing it. And wolves killing hounds is karma, but humans killing wolves isn't. That's quite a thought process.
A good example of what this thread is about. Nothing in your reply has anything to do with what he actually said. He said people hunting over hounds. Wolves hunting prey is not related to people hunting with dogs. He also never said anything about people killing wolves relating to karma but you put those words there. Why can't hunters just stop with this type of attack on each other?

Swamp Fox

WKR

You appear to like predators, except for dogs and humans.

I "like" all predators, and am wary of slippery slopes.

But you do not seem to believe in gravity ...

Squincher

WKR
A good example of what this thread is about. Nothing in your reply has anything to do with what he actually said. He said people hunting over hounds. Wolves hunting prey is not related to people hunting with dogs. He also never said anything about people killing wolves relating to karma but you put those words there. Why can't hunters just stop with this type of attack on each other?

People hunting over hounds is nothing more than humans incorporated into the cooperation of the pack. Pardon me for extrapolating, but I'll bet my next paycheck he doesn't support these wolves being shot. He called out an entire segment of hunters, but my response to it is an attack on hunters?

Hnthrdr

WKR

Here we go, why are you against the hunting of Mt. lions?

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Man + dog predator hunting is very historical. And that's where it should stay.

I've only seen hound hunting of cats in person once. I've watched impressive videos of hounds & handlers at work. The same videos that make these cat initiatives/legislation so easy with the general public.

If I lived in Colorado, I would be arguing FOR a hound ban on cat hunting. In order to save opportunistic cat hunting (spot & stalk). To avoid/limit contracting out lion killing, CPW would eventually decrease the $56/$388 mountain lion tag fees so that every hunter can carry a cheap/free lion tag while on a deer/elk hunt. I watched a buddy kill a spot & stalk cat when we were deer hunting - it happens.

As is, Coloradoans might lose cat hunting altogether because they won't compromise by offering up a hound ban.

I support fair chase hunting of both lions and wolves. I've bought tags for both.

Last edited:

Swamp Fox

WKR
Man + dog predator hunting is very historical. And that's where it should stay.

I've only seen hound hunting of cats in person once. I've watched impressive videos of hounds & handlers at work. The same videos that make these cat initiatives/legislation so easy with the general public.

If I lived in Colorado, I would be arguing FOR a hound ban on cat hunting. In order to save opportunistic cat hunting (spot & stalk). To avoid/limit contracting out lion killing, CPW would eventually decrease the $56/$388 mountain lion tag fees so that every hunter can carry a cheap/free lion tag while on a deer/elk hunt. I watched a buddy kill a spot & stalk cat when we were deer hunting - it happens.

As is, Coloradoans might lose cat hunting altogether because they won't compromise by offering up a hound ban.

I support fair chase hunting of both lions and wolves. I've bought tags for both.