Can altitude increase have health impacts?

*zap*

WKR
Wondering if going from living at 1000' or so to 5000'+ can have an impact on chronic sinus issues? or other health related issues?

What say U?

Another thing to consider is allergies due to differences in plants at varying elevations. My allergies used to be way worse (hayfever, ragweed, etc.) and compounded by the wind in Western KS, and they have been way more manageable living in a couple states in the mountain west around 5k ft.

Poser

WKR
I would think that the vast majority of people would be able to adapt to reasonable amounts of altitude changes within a couple of weeks. I think any health related impacts would be acute. For example, the Durango and Silverton NG Railroad often deals with health issues of elderly passengers and has even had a few fatalities on the train due to cardiac arrest that was likely spurred by poor health + age+ acute altitude changes. However, give most anyone a couple of weeks and they will be fully adjusted.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
Moved from FL to UT last December. Only issue I've noticed is the chronic dry/crusty/concrete nose. Plus nose bleeds. I've never had nose bleeds before, but have them pretty regularly here. Oh and ashyness - like a damn lizard.

Allergies have been a constant in my life, and they seem to be the same here as well.

Weldor

WKR
Moved from FL to UT last December. Only issue I've noticed is the chronic dry/crusty/concrete nose. Plus nose bleeds. I've never had nose bleeds before, but have them pretty regularly here. Oh and ashyness - like a damn lizard.

Allergies have been a constant in my life, and they seem to be the same here as well.
Dry no humity.

Weldor

WKR
I go from mesquite to Juniper and pine on a regular basis. 3500 to 6-7000 seems mesquite and palo verde are worse for allergy's for me anyway. Ask my Doc the same question about a decade ago. Unless you have heart or lung problems all should be good was his anwser.

tfoulkes

FNG
Another thing to consider is sleep. I live at 8k feet and have mild sleep apnea, much more noticeable up here than it is at sea level. Obviously any respiratory issues will be exacerbated the higher you go.

Poser

WKR

There's a correlation between "mountain towns" and suicide rates. For example, the county I live in has one of the highest teen suicide rates in the country and a overall suicide rate that is 3x the national average and that higher suicide rate applies across the Rocky Mountain West. There's no research that I am aware of into the actual elevation aspect, rather its more related to the social constructs of mountain town living.

WyldGoose

FNG
I’m sure everyone is different…but I went from living at sea level with chronic allergies, cough, and yearly sinus infections to living at 5,000 feet without any allergies.

The change happened first with mild results after moving, but when I quit seed oils and the Standard American Diet and went strict animal based diet the allergies rapidly vanished.

Alcohol affects you more at higher elevations!

Most can handle 5,000’ with no issues.

8,000’ and especially higher is another issue. Some people have trouble sleeping, headaches, memory lapses, lethargic, etc. Some develop too many red blood cells (too carry more oxygen due the thin air) and have to move to lower elevations.

We had a “statistical valid study” done by a hospital research group at our highest elevation facility that indicated people lived a shorter life span at 11,300’ (town and mine site). Might have been influenced by other factors in my eyes though….

TaperPin

WKR
Wondering if going from living at 1000' or so to 5000'+ can have an impact on chronic sinus issues? or other health related issues?

What say U?
A 4,000’ increase is pretty moderate - I bet 90% (99%?) of all people barely notice it, but it is less air so if someone was right on the very verge of having issues, I can see it being the hair that breaks the camel’s back.

Living at 5k feet I can’t ever remember hearing anyone having issues of any kind at 9,000’.

I don't know about sinuses.

There have been several studies in which it appears to indicate as the altitude at which one lives increases, so does the risk of dying by suicide. There could also be an influence on anxiety, depression, and/ or other mental processes that are not considered positive.

As to the why, I've heard it pondered it may be based on metabolism, seratonin levels, or something else. I couldn't tell ya definitively, I don't know exactly why.

Another thing to consider is allergies due to differences in plants at varying elevations. My allergies used to be way worse (hayfever, ragweed, etc.) and compounded by the wind in Western KS, and they have been way more manageable living in a couple states in the mountain west around 5k ft.
I would attribute a lot of chronic sinus issues to allergies.

My wife had chronic sinus issues for years, until allergy testing and treatment.

We thought it was just how she was.