California Black Bear Conservation Plan

OP
N9Line

N9Line

FNG
For sure. I think we need to take a play from anti hunters and take small bites back in the direction we want. It’s a lot easier to ask someone for a dollar than $1,000. I also think at this point sticking to what the fish and game council can do themselves is the way to go. If we bring too much attention to the state senate and congress we may see negative results as most probably aren’t hunting friendly. A second tag and spring season would be huge. Though we’d probably hit quota by the end of bow season if the quotas were structured on an annual basis.
It's funny that you say that because I said the exact same thing on an instagram post last week from Black Bear Pursuit. I heard input from others and thought that it might be reasonable to roll it out in sections. Start one year with a spring season, then if the quota doesn't get met, do the spring, our normal and add dogs late season if we don't conserve the population properly. If you read through the plan, it shows how having too many bears could literally kill off the entire bear population. Kinda wild how nature works and can kill itself if you don't manage it.

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
We just started looking into bear hunting in CA last year. We are NV residents, and my 12 yr old really wants one. We will probably try it out this fall and see how things go. I would love a spring season that doesn't interfere with our other fall hunting though.

OP
N9Line

N9Line

FNG
We just started looking into bear hunting in CA last year. We are NV residents, and my 12 yr old really wants one. We will probably try it out this fall and see how things go. I would love a spring season that doesn't interfere with our other fall hunting though.
The fall season currently runs from mid-August until the end of the year. If you're hunting multiple states, I can definitely see how that could make things difficult. Being in NV makes it a lot easier than most..

dster3

FNG
To me - it seems like a lot of conflicting points put forward in the text.

Diversity, equity, inclusion (probably state mandated garbage) when it comes to black bear management.
Consideration non-hunter opportunity for viewing and their opinion on management.
The "times are changing" public opinion on hunting
But also indicating that CA harvest is no where near other states that have healthy populations.
Revenue generated from tag sales and money toward conservation.

CDFW did not make any recommendations about opening up another season or tag limit. Was there another document or hearing where CDFW made that statement?

I'm not going to hold my breath for a spring season, but it may seem as if they are hinting it needs to be looked at. If I'm reading it right, looks like a plan laid out won't be adopted by the commission until fall 2025. So possibly a spring 2026 season.

limpet

FNG

Diversity, equity, inclusion (probably state mandated garbage) when it comes to black bear management.
Consideration non-hunter opportunity for viewing and their opinion on management.
But also indicating that CA harvest is no where near other states that have healthy populations.

CDFW did not make any recommendations about opening up another season or tag limit. Was there another document or hearing where CDFW made that statement?

I'm not going to hold my breath for a spring season, but it may seem as if they are hinting it needs to be looked at. If I'm reading it right, looks like a plan laid out won't be adopted by the commission until fall 2025. So possibly a spring 2026 season.
In the beginning of the document it stated that the purpose was not to make any recommendations but just to provide new information and a current state of affairs. Recommendations are going to come in the meetings to follow.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing will be done to move or advance bear hunting in California….status quo if not limited in some way.

The easiest implementation would be allowing a second tag until the quota is met and they can’t/won’t even do that so all this spring, dog talk is a pipe dream just sayin

Blind Squirrel

Lil-Rokslider
Nothing will be done to move or advance bear hunting in California….status quo if not limited in some way.

The easiest implementation would be allowing a second tag until the quota is met and they can’t/won’t even do that so all this spring, dog talk is a pipe dream just sayin
So you’re telling me there’s a chance?

OP
N9Line

N9Line

FNG

"CDFW would rely on findings from these analyses 1341 and assessments to inform any recommendations to the Fish and Game Commission1342 (“Commission”) about regulatory changes including (but not limited to) hunting levels, 1343 methods, and seasons."

That verbiage gives me hope that they recognize that there is a need to make those changes.

I always encourage my friends who don't draw in Nevada to go hunt Cali for bears. Few do and I have no idea why.

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
I always encourage my friends who don't draw in Nevada to go hunt Cali for bears. Few do and I have no idea why.
Yeah, we tried some last year from a friend and it was delicious. We were busy with tags last year, but we want to try this year for sure if we have time.
This guy was up off of hwy 80 towards hwy 20.
Attach0.jpeg

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
watching this thread as a California res. When will decisions be made from the CDFW? What can I do to help?

limpet

FNG
watching this thread as a California res. When will decisions be made from the CDFW? What can I do to help?
If you go to @Howl For Wildlife website and the event tab they are having a pre meeting meeting on Monday at 5:30 via zoom to get hunters organized for the meeting. I think the first one is early mid may but don’t quote me on it.