Caliber to pair with .300 RUM

Hey everyone, as the title states I’m looking for a smaller caliber to pair with my .300 RUM that has been slaying the last 10 years. I want my .300 to be for the big boys only (elk, moose, grizz, etc.). Looking for a smaller, lighter caliber for mule deer, antelope, black bear, you know the type. I’ve been looking at the classic .270, then a 6.5 PRC and 6.5 CM. Let me know what you think of the three and if there’s any other caliber you would recommend. Just would like a lower recoil deer/antelope gun. Feel comfortable taking the kill shot out to 600 yards but tend to keep it under 400.

What bullet construction do you prefer? In other words, what impact velocity is needed?

hiker270

WKR
I think the 3 you have in mind would do the job nicely. I'd probably pick the one with the best ammo availability, or reloading components.

brushape

WKR
6.5 saum/prc basically duplicates the 300 rum trajectory. Similar bc and velocity in a couple different grain bullets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyjunky

WKR
A lighter recoiling rifle is a good idea so it's more fun to practice with than sitting behind the Rum. All three you mentioned would be great. I'd add in the 6.5-284 (more cool factor than 6.5prc ;)) and 6cm to the mix as well.

It was mentioned above but factory vs handload would be a big factor in the decision.

I went with a semi cust 6.5PRC. lots of ammo support as I dont reload and I think 130-156 gr bullets are sweet spot for deer/goats. 6CM is a great round and came in second place, I like that for a varmint rig, but me safe is getting overloaded.

I was in a similar situation years ago - 6.5 SAUM & 6.5 CM filled the gap nicely.

6.5 PRC & 6.5 CM quality factory ammunition is darn near everywhere - that would get my vote.

SwiftShot

WKR
Hey everyone, as the title states I’m looking for a smaller caliber to pair with my .300 RUM that has been slaying the last 10 years. I want my .300 to be for the big boys only (elk, moose, grizz, etc.). Looking for a smaller, lighter caliber for mule deer, antelope, black bear, you know the type. I’ve been looking at the classic .270, then a 6.5 PRC and 6.5 CM. Let me know what you think of the three and if there’s any other caliber you would recommend. Just would like a lower recoil deer/antelope gun. Feel comfortable taking the kill shot out to 600 yards but tend to keep it under 400.
I have a 300 RUM and it is paired with a 6.5 PRC. The problem you will find is the 6.5 can do way more than you thought.

TN2shot07

WKR
I think you’re looking at 3 good choices. I’d remove the creedmoor, you can easily handle the little bit more recoil so you might as well have the extra 1-200 fps of the other two. Both are readily available in rifles and ammo. At 400 there’s almost no ballistic difference so it really comes down to long action vs short. You didn’t list a specific rifle you’re looking at, that wouldn’t matter with something like a Tikka that uses a standard action with a bolt stop. Personally, I’d go 270

As much as I dislike the overhype of the Creedmoor and prc cartridges, you are probably on the right track with the 6.5 CM/PRC since you don’t handload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Toondaddy

FNG
I am also a RUM shooter (since it came out). I actually really liked when you could buy the different power level ammo (30-06, 300 WM and 300 RUM power levels). I would use the 30-06 power level for whitetail in PA and the 300 RUM for the big stuff in Alaska. Good practice with the same rifle with significantly less recoil. I haven’t reloaded in years but I still have a few factory power level 1 loads, maybe I should load some up. Or maybe not burn my nice Proof barrel so I was also thinking the 6.5CM/PRC. Just what I need, a new caliber. A good excuse to get a new gun though.

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
Out of what you listed it’s hard to argue with choosing a 270. I’d add a 25-06 to the list to consider as well. It’s a hammer on deer and antelope. Also taken bear with it.

Toondaddy

FNG
To me it’s Always a case of “ok I’ll get a 270” “but a 280 has better ballistics in the same action size” “the ammo isn’t as easy to find anymore “ “well for the same action size I might as well get a 7mm mag better performance and lots of ammo availability” “I already have 2 7mm mags” Madness😃