Bullet Types and Impact Velocities

Huntin_GI

Well Known Rokslider
I struggling to find information on the recommended velocities based on bullet construction. I know alot of guys simply say X speed for X caliber. Here's the thing, you could be shooting a partition, copper monolithic, or led soft point and each of those bullets require a different velocity to perform as designed.

Anyone know of any resources?

P.S. I will be shooting factory .308 ammo and the goal is use a quality round the works well a lower velocities.

QuackAttack

Well Known Rokslider
If you find a cutaway of your preferred bullet, it becomes obvious. Thin copper jacket and lead means easy expansion. Thick and tapered to thicker means slow.

Sundodger

Well Known Rokslider
Google image search "Barnes bullet expansion velocity" , "GMX bullet expansion velocity", etc. and you will find some stuff.

As a guy that has gone 100% to copper bullets, I have thought about this a fair amount in regard to what sort of range I am willing to take a first shot at.

Think of the bullet manufacture minimum velocity recommendations (2000 ft/sec is commonly printed for copper monoliths) as a rough rule of thumb.

While impact velocity is directionally correct to predicting bullet expansion, impulse (integral of force with respect to time) is a better model.

Think about it this way a copper bullet hitting an infinitely soft and deep target at 3,300 ft/sec will not expand, but the same bullet hitting an very thick plate of high strength steel at 500 ft/sec will expand more than you want.

So your two variables in hunting for a given load is where you hit on the animals (sail though the rib cage without touching a bone or going though both shoulders) and impact velocity (range). Both will change how much the bullet expands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_(physics)