Bullet Types and Impact Velocities

Huntin_GI

WKR
I struggling to find information on the recommended velocities based on bullet construction. I know alot of guys simply say X speed for X caliber. Here's the thing, you could be shooting a partition, copper monolithic, or led soft point and each of those bullets require a different velocity to perform as designed.

Anyone know of any resources?

P.S. I will be shooting factory .308 ammo and the goal is use a quality round the works well a lower velocities.

QuackAttack

Lil-Rokslider
If you find a cutaway of your preferred bullet, it becomes obvious. Thin copper jacket and lead means easy expansion. Thick and tapered to thicker means slow.

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Google image search "Barnes bullet expansion velocity" , "GMX bullet expansion velocity", etc. and you will find some stuff.

As a guy that has gone 100% to copper bullets, I have thought about this a fair amount in regard to what sort of range I am willing to take a first shot at.

Think of the bullet manufacture minimum velocity recommendations (2000 ft/sec is commonly printed for copper monoliths) as a rough rule of thumb.

While impact velocity is directionally correct to predicting bullet expansion, impulse (integral of force with respect to time) is a better model.

Think about it this way a copper bullet hitting an infinitely soft and deep target at 3,300 ft/sec will not expand, but the same bullet hitting an very thick plate of high strength steel at 500 ft/sec will expand more than you want.

So your two variables in hunting for a given load is where you hit on the animals (sail though the rib cage without touching a bone or going though both shoulders) and impact velocity (range). Both will change how much the bullet expands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impulse_(physics)