Building a forever home. Do's and don'ts

I can't believe I did not list this as my #1 "Do" in my previous post, but your forever home should NOT have stairs. Period. A small step up but absolutely no stairs. Many of us do not think about this in our 30's or 40's, but it's a strong consideration IMHO.

Most of us will make it until our 80's or 90's (called a nonagenarian if any are interested; the only reason I know this is my Mom turned 90 last year) and a huge percentage of us will have mobility issues and stairs are so limiting in so many ways and also downright dangerous in worst case scenario as we get older.

Eddie
I wouldn't go so far as to say no stairs, but definitely have a contingency or a main level master so you don't have to use other levels when you get to the point you have limited mobility.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I wouldn't go so far as to say no stairs, but definitely have a contingency or a main level master so you don't have to use other levels when you get to the point you have limited mobility.
Yes, probably a bit harsh for sure, but any stairs are the bane of the elderly and what a shame to live in only 50% of your home.

Eddie

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
Building a house now and appreciate all the comments. Luckily I've including a lot of things from the list. We are doing a full basement. I understand the comments about mobility as we age but man what a nice thing to have. Separate man cave, hunting storage room, exercise room, storm shelter etc. Plus I personally think it's desirable to new homeowners if you ever did sell.
Be interesting to look back at this in a few years and see if or what I would change. It's been a big help having a general contractor that does a lot of nice newer homes for current ideas and such.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Since its a 'Forever Home - Think of the distant future when you get 'old'

Make all hallways & doorways 3'-0" [accommodate wheelchairs]
Avoid stairways [self-explanatory]
No bathtubs - walk-in showers only
Build south facing
As a PT, I'd add a couple things to this...

At least 1 bathroom on the main floor should have a TALL toilet and enough space to maneuver a wheelchair or walker around to the sink, toilet, and shower. Even if you don't need it anytime soon, granny might need it at the next family get together.

No mention of your age that I saw, but if hand arthritis is a concern, put in door handles instead of doorknobs.

If you have stairs to get in the house, put up a good handrail.

I'd want a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and laundry all on the 1st floor with those rooms all being wheelchair accessible and no or limited steps to enter the home. That prevents a lot of barriers to being discharged home after a knee replacement, hip fracture, stroke, etc.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
I will also echo that. We are in the process of a similar build. I have researched at nausea the hidden details no one sees that are important to me. From the type of exterior sheathing, insulation, dry wall thickness,
Your house, and you should get what you want. But builders might blow you off cause you are not worth the time. And you may pay the cost for what you want.

Drywall is 5/8. Electric boxes are built for that.

I wonder if it would be better for noise, to put fiberglass in interoir walls of beroom. I lke to sleep in quite, so I'd be curious how much it helps on exterior walls.

Best thing I have seen is my friend in IN. has a urial in the bathroom. His wife loves it, keeps floor cleaner. Don't know if it was mentioned, but mud room.
My forever house would never be anywhere I couldn't pee outside. Been lucky to never own house where I can't.

What I would look at is places to put snow. So many house you cannot move snow easily. I would also space buildings and landscaping to easily drive plow or tractor between. Same for bushes for cutting grass.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure you have tons of storage space. Large walk-in closets and preferably a walk up attic. We built a large jetted tub in the master bedroom which is almost never used. I would go with all walk-in showers and no tubs. There is no such thing as a garage that is too large.

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
Didn’t read it all but 2 things I want are:
1. EVERY doorway is wide enough for a wheelchair. Even if you never end up in a wheelchair, maybe you will not bang your knuckles while carrying a laundry basket.
2. ROLL in shower, not just step in.

Both my mother and grandmother ended up in wheelchairs. This were big issues.

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
Since its a 'Forever Home - Think of the distant future when you get 'old'

Make all hallways & doorways 3'-0" [accommodate wheelchairs]
Avoid stairways [self-explanatory]
No bathtubs - walk-in showers only
Build south facing
Truer words were never spoken. Hard to think of being old a frail when you’re young and healthy. The older I get, the more I realize.

I wonder if it would be better for noise, to put fiberglass in interoir walls of beroom. I lke to sleep in quite, so I'd be curious how much it helps on exterior walls.

This is a common upgrade. I think it was $500 bucks on my house to add interior fiberglass in the walls around the bedrooms, bathrooms, and utility room.

If you really want to quiet things down, rockwool does a better job for a little more money.

Ehlusive

FNG
Duel dishwashers, mud room, big pantry/kitchen, oversized garage if no shop space. Do it right first time.. I'm having to redo things because I hired wrong subs. 3.5 years into living in my home. Don't build to custom... never know what future will bring. Must have resell value imo even if it's planned for forever home.

kybuck1

Lil-Rokslider
One as a parts washer? Curious you just have so many dirty dishes, or one is for nice stuff one for bad stuff?

I've never heard of having two dish washer.
Must be when you can't decide between the blonde and brunette and they are both real purdy

P Carter

WKR
One as a parts washer? Curious you just have so many dirty dishes, or one is for nice stuff one for bad stuff?

Funny, the house we bought had two dishwashers. I’d never seen that and thought it was ridiculous. Well, it is a bit ridiculous but also really nice; we have Sunday dinners with family, and so we host 12-18 people at least a dozen times a year. Very useful for that!

BadDogPSD

WKR

Very common in larger houses, especially those designed for entertaining.