Building a dinner table

Harvey_NW

WKR
My wife and I had our house built in 2021, and I figured eventually I would find something to do with all the leftover lumber. Before the build we had to liquidate a lot of furniture and make some sacrifices, we ended up renting a room and being roommates with a buddy to save money. When we moved in we had a lot to replenish. So I decided it was time to build a dinner table, and while I know Doug Fir isn't the most ideal wood for something like this, these were the form boards from the foundation so I thought that was kind of symbolic in a way. I figured if I stuck it together good enough, a nice epoxy top would be solid enough to suffice, and easy enough to touch up over the years if it gets wear and tear.

The boards I started with.
20221226_132958.jpg

I took a wire wheel on an angle grinder and cleaned the boards up so any remaining concrete wouldn't wreck the cutter head on the planer. Then used glue and dowels to pin the boards together, and started assembling the top (company shop has a little more room for the bigger stuff and was warmer than my garage in the winter lol).
20221231_194932.jpg
20230102_214930.jpg

I've done quite a few lightly burnt wood projects, but I was a little hesitant with this one in case it got western. I tried a few stains and couldn't find anything I really liked, so I figured with the epoxy the wood would take on a nice golden hue I was looking for and contrast well. Bust out the torch.
20230204_154654.jpg

Next I started on the base. I glued 2x4's together and squared them up with a jointer to make the legs and braces.
20230128_170716.jpg

Then burnt it too.
20230204_151111.jpg
20230206_174156.jpg

Next was epoxy time.
20230222_185338.jpg

I thought it needed a little personal touch, so I had a buddy plasma cut me an antler to brand the corners with.
20230224_201124.jpg

And the finished product.
20230226_202357.jpg

All in all I think it turned out pretty good. I learned quite a few tricks about pouring epoxy along the way. It's not perfect, but it was built with that in mind. I guess we'll see if it stands the test of time.

7mm-08

WKR
Nicely done. Great end product from an old pile of scrap lumber that I'd bet you contemplated burning in the wood stove. Something with sentiment to be proud of.

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
looks good, if you start getting warping in the boards, a wood skirt around it helps prevent that.
Thanks, I should have mentioned they sat outside exposed to the elements for 2 years before I did this project so they were pretty settled. I used a shim sled and planed the warped ones flat. But definitely good advice if using fresher lumber!

Jmoore

Lil-Rokslider
Very nice. The corners and antlers are cool.
My sons and I built ours 5 years ago, they were 12. We enjoyed that project and mama loves it.

My wife and I had our house built in 2021, and I figured eventually I would find something to do with all the leftover lumber. Before the build we had to liquidate a lot of furniture and make some sacrifices, we ended up renting a room and being roommates with a buddy to save money. When we moved in we had a lot to replenish. So I decided it was time to build a dinner table, and while I know Doug Fir isn't the most ideal wood for something like this, these were the form boards from the foundation so I thought that was kind of symbolic in a way. I figured if I stuck it together good enough, a nice epoxy top would be solid enough to suffice, and easy enough to touch up over the years if it gets wear and tear.

The boards I started with.
View attachment 747584

I took a wire wheel on an angle grinder and cleaned the boards up so any remaining concrete wouldn't wreck the cutter head on the planer. Then used glue and dowels to pin the boards together, and started assembling the top (company shop has a little more room for the bigger stuff and was warmer than my garage in the winter lol).
View attachment 747585
View attachment 747586

I've done quite a few lightly burnt wood projects, but I was a little hesitant with this one in case it got western. I tried a few stains and couldn't find anything I really liked, so I figured with the epoxy the wood would take on a nice golden hue I was looking for and contrast well. Bust out the torch.
View attachment 747590

Next I started on the base. I glued 2x4's together and squared them up with a jointer to make the legs and braces.
View attachment 747587

Then burnt it too.
View attachment 747588
View attachment 747591

Next was epoxy time.
View attachment 747592

I thought it needed a little personal touch, so I had a buddy plasma cut me an antler to brand the corners with.
View attachment 747598

And the finished product.
View attachment 747599

All in all I think it turned out pretty good. I learned quite a few tricks about pouring epoxy along the way. It's not perfect, but it was built with that in mind. I guess we'll see if it stands the test of time.
Boom!!! I like it!!!!

zr600

FNG
Looks good I like how it was left over wood. I built my wife a kitchen table similar frame but I used a a butcher block top from Menards. I did an expoxy pour too. I did a 1x4 trim around the edge and wish I wouldn’t have done that. But it still looks good. Yours turned out really nice I think.