Budget Rain Gear For Late Season Elk?

OTC 3rd rifle this year in Colorado. I'm looking for an affordable set of waterproof jacket/pant that will keep me dry in the snow and rain. I will be day hunting from a base camp by the truck.

I am currently looking at a set of frogg toggs that can be had for 79.99. Does anyone have any experience with frogg toggs? Or are there other affordable brands out there worth looking into?

Thanks!

JK47

FNG
I have a set of Frogg Toggs I use for work. Can’t remember the model or what not. It wasn’t their cheap stuff. It’s pretty tough and repels water well. Pretty breathable as well.

I’ve had my set for 3 years. Haven’t failed me yet.

BigLou

FNG
I use frogg toggs too. I have one of the more expensive set, but they are stiff and loud, so never use them. The set I carry is older, very lightweight and were pretty cheap. work great. even wore them in coastal alaska on a bear hunt. only issue I have had is a split seam in the crotch. I just stuff them in the bottom of my pack and forget about it...

OTC 3rd rifle this year in Colorado. I'm looking for an affordable set of waterproof jacket/pant that will keep me dry in the snow and rain. I will be day hunting from a base camp by the truck.

I am currently looking at a set of frogg toggs that can be had for 79.99. Does anyone have any experience with frogg toggs? Or are there other affordable brands out there worth looking into?

Thanks!
Yes I have tried them. They sucked! Maybe they’ve gotten better since then. To hard to get on and off over my boots

I’m a fan of Helly Hansen. A little more expensive and a little heavier but I stay bone dry. Never tried the pants, usually some waxed Fjallravens are enough for me

Luked

WKR
Have a set of Kryptek Jupiter rain gear that ill be taking this year.
Used it around home and its worked good so far.

S&T

FNG
If you don't mind some additional weight, bulk and some noise, miliary surplus ECWCS gore-tex is hard to beat for the money, in my opinion. The newer generation stuff is a bit lighter weight, but generally more expensive.

If you shop around on ebay, you can find some pretty good deals, especially if you're not concerned with color/pattern. I got some brand new with tags desert tri-color pants a year or two back for $40.

I live here and I have never used rain gear at anytime of the year. For the late season hunts I prefer a pair of soft shell pants and a fleece top under a vest for 99% of the late seasons. If it is raining or snowing hard enough to need rain gear, I will put up a tarp and wait it out. If I can’t wait it out I will just walk back to the rig and go home.

It’s been my experience with rain gear, especially if you’re going to wear them all day, you get what you pay for.

I had a cheap pair of Frogg Toggs that lasted maybe an hour before they were soaked through. I didn’t buy the high end stuff but ended up hunting in Scheels Brand rain jacket and pants last year in Wyoming in all day rain and was pretty impressed.

+1 on the tire chains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk