Budget ball head

I know this is a tough question because I know quality gear is expensive. Right now I don’t want to spend a ton of money on a new ball head as I am messing with a diy tripod. Are there any recommendations for a panning ball head/pan head under 8 oz that is under $50? I found a few on Amazon and some birding forums but wanted to see what the hunting community says. Thanks!

Macintosh

WKR
So, I have not really used the smaller version, but I have a 52mm sunwayphoto head that pans and is pretty darn stable, just not crazy smooth. Paid for it with a 4-pack of fancy beer. 😁 It also is sufficient to anchor my boat. I see they make a smaller version (fb36iii I think) that is about $50. Not sure its 8oz, but close. I got a sirui g20x (more $ than you want) that is sameish size, 8or 9 oz, it’s fine for my binos,okish for spotter, but not nearly as stable for shooting off it as the bigger head…it works, but isnt ideal. I think there are smaller ones that are less expensive, but not knowing what you’re going to use it for. If you were going to shoot off of it, I would not go any smaller than the one I have, which is 30 mm.

Last edited:
There's not a $50 ball head thats worth owning. The head is the most important part of a tripod setup. Buy a RRS second hand, save a couple hundred over new, and you'll never be dissapointed.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's not a $50 ball head thats worth owning. The head is the most important part of a tripod setup. Buy a RRS second hand, save a couple hundred over new, and you'll never be dissapointed.
Is there a ball head that costs more than Right Stuff?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Is there a ball head that costs more than Right Stuff?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what and why you're asking, but there are ball heads for astronomy that I've seen that cost thousands of dollars. RRS is extremely good and all thats needed for shooting and glassing applications. If you shop around you can find used ones for the same or not much more than the chinesium garbage. I've seen BH-30LR's go for $200 and under which is a good ballhead for a hunting setup. You can get BH-55LR's for $275-$300 used and they're amazing but weigh 2lbs which is quite heavy for hunting and not necessary.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
thanks! I have looked at those but can’t put that in the budget. I only have about $50-$100 right now. Funds are tight right now for hunting stuff. I will add I have a razor 85mm and don’t plan to shoot off it. Currently I have a vanguard ph-111v.

thanks! I have looked at those but can’t put that in the budget. I only have about $50-$100 right now. Funds are tight right now for hunting stuff. I will add I have a razor 85mm and don’t plan to shoot off it. Currently I have a vanguard ph-111v.

Then just continue using what you have any save your money. That budget and a ball head will be a complete waste when you already have something that will work as good as any cheap ball head.

There's a few BH-30LR's on ebay right now for good prices. You could buy one of those with your $100 down on paypal credit and spend $30/mo and not pay any interest and have a great ball head.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
So, I have not really used the smaller version, but I have a 52mm sunwayphoto head that pans and is pretty darn stable, just not crazy smooth. Paid for it with a 4-pack of fancy beer. 😁 It also is sufficient to anchor my boat. I see they make a smaller version (fb36iii I think) that is about $50. Not sure its 8oz, but close. I got a sirui g20x (more $ than you want) that is sameish size, 8or 9 oz, it’s fine for my binos,okish for spotter, but not nearly as stable for shooting off it as the bigger head…it works, but isnt ideal. I think there are smaller ones that are less expensive, but not knowing what you’re going to use it for. If you were going to shoot off of it, I would not go any smaller than the one I have, which is 30 mm.
The fb36iii is actually one I was looking at. Most of the time I just use my binos and run the spotter to see if the buck is decent or if a bull is a bull and not a spike.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Then just continue using what you have any save your money. That budget and a ball head will be a complete waste when you already have something that will work as good as any cheap ball head.

There's a few BH-30LR's on ebay right now for good prices. You could buy one of those with your $100 down on paypal credit and spend $30/mo and not pay any interest and have a great ball head.
Thanks! Ironically the reason there is no budget is we are doing the Dave Ramsey thing so we are paying all our debt off. Ha. Putting on a cc isn’t an option. But thanks for the advice, I have been leaning towards doing that. Honestly it is kind of where keep ending up.