Broadheads help a guy out...

cmeier117

WKR
This will be my first year hunting elk and deer with a bow. For background info I am shooting a 4-5 year old mission bow. IBO speed is 310 and I have a 29 inch draw pulling 71 lbs. I am not sure what my actually speed is with my hunting arrows, they weigh 428 grains. I am researching what broad heads to use. I am really looking at getting the new SlickTrick vipertricks. The reason I think they will be a good head is that their two main blades are longer and they are not as steep of an angel as other heads I have looked at (Muzzy, Slick Trick Standard etc...) I would guess this would help them cut and slice "easier" so I could get more penetration and the bleeder blades are smaller blades anyways? Anyone looked at these blades or used them? I don't know if they are out yet. Is my theory correct or am I smoking something and analyzing it too much?

Yukondog

WKR
I have only taken 4 animals with my bow to date. Biggest thing being a whitetail. I shot the slick trick mags and love them. They shoot true for me with wonderful results. My S.Dakota buck went no more than 80yds after a slight quartering to me shot of 40yds. Went thru front shoulder (missing bone) and ended up going thru the liver. For me slick tricks work. Buy several and test their flight. Shoot what flies best. I can't find anything wrong with my st mags. When I'm all practiced up in the summer I tend to cut vanes out to 60yds with them.

Ralph

FNG
IMHO, most fixed heads will work. Just find the one that flies the best with your setup. SlickTrick makes some good products. Again, how do they fly with your setup? Bleeders? My last four elk have fallen to G5 Strikers; I guess they have bleeders as well ;)

Attachments

• photo-31.jpg
    photo-31.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 10
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 9

dotman

WKR
I'm a big fan of 100gr NAP Hell Razors, easy to tune, sharp and strong.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As Ralph noted, find a broadhead that flies well with your setup. Each individual setup will have minor variances, so a broadhead you like in design may not fly well for one reason or another for you. The broadheads you have chosen will do the job if you hit them where they breath. I have taken bulls with muzzy, thunderheads, satellites and montec. They all performed well, but i have settled on the cut on impact montec due to the their one piece design, solid structure, arrow flight and that i find sharpening them to be very easy.

cmeier117,

These guys have absolutely hit the nail on the head. The broadhead debate will forever live on and what flies well for one guy/gal may not work with the particular set-up that anyone else is running. I know that if you are heading out for elk I personally prefer a fixed blade head. Fixed blades offer me a guaranteed cutting diameter free from worry about not opening up. Because there is no mechanical devices to open on impact your kinetic energy is put to better use getting through that animal then opening your head. My list of fixed blades looks something like this:

1. RAMCAT
2. SlickTrick 100 STD
3. Trophy Taker TERMINAL T-LOCK or Shuttle T-Lock
4. G5 Striker

It really will come down to your set-up and tune. Good luck and happy hunting.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
Thanks guys! I will take a look at all of those. I am in Oregon and we can't use Mechanicals anyhow. I wouldn't anyways they would make me nervous.

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I really like Vantage Point Archery 3 blade broadheads. They are machined out of a solid chunck of steel so they are really strong and very easy to sharpen. Im really excited to send one through an elk this year.

R

rebecca francis

I've used the trophy taker shuttle t-lock on both elk and deer. They do the job well!

Ozz08

WKR
I've been playing around a little with 125 grain wac'em exit broad heads and they fly awesome. I think these will be my head for 2012.

I believe that Wac'Ems were simply bought out by another group and have production running again according to one of our distributors. Does Oregon have any laws/regs on arrow weight????

B

bearguide

i used wac'ems two years ago and got a big elk with them / but the blades were broken or sheared off so i switched to shuttle T because they use .o40 thick blades insted of .027 thick on the wacs / the shuttle T are non vented which also makes them stronger / but my biggest bull 6x8 isdead with wacs/ i say ahoot what flies the best but stay away from weak broadheads or expandables for large game / elk moose brown bear/ i like montec for bears

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
Trophy Taker T-Locks are great tough heads and have always flown great for me, however the RFA Phoenix intrigued me enough to buy a pack. So we'll see how those end up doin for me... But so far out to 30 they're good, just waiting to get my Ascent back from MBG to really start playin with em...