Broadheads for Elk

EJMK

FNG
100 grain Solid Broadheads with 1/2" bleeder. Dropped a bull and buck in consecutive years within sight with complete pass thru's and the heads still shootable. Have a hunting partner that had similar results on a deer last year with same head. Seem to shoot extremely accurate and are pretty indestructible. We did notice that there was very little external bleeding, but didn't need it as all animals have expired within sight, but if you ever get a bad hit it may be an issue for tracking. They are also pretty spendy like the Iron Will, but for us right now the good has outweighed any reason to switch.

Nick87

Lil-Rokslider
I can't say enough good about qad exodus. I started using them because they are the most accurate I've ever shot. The results on animals have been just as impressive. Now that I found something I really like I'm sure they will discontinue them soon like most good things.

CoHiCntry

WKR
I can't say enough good about qad exodus. I started using them because they are the most accurate I've ever shot. The results on animals have been just as impressive. Now that I found something I really like I'm sure they will discontinue them soon like most good things.

You guy's using the Exodus... are you going with the full or swept option?

Nick87

Lil-Rokslider
I use the full blade. I've never tried the swept model, the full just seems like it is more rigid to me. They shoot every bit as good as my field tips out to 60. I would imagine further but 60 is as far as I shoot.

JakeB2010

FNG
The 125gr Slick tricks viper tricks have done well for me sort of. So far, one bull and one deer, both ran less than 100yds however blood trails could have been better on both. The bull was double lunged with a full pass through and I was on hands and knees looking for any drop I could find. I think I chose them after watching the Eastmans broadhead review, their penetration compared to others was really good and they were easy to tune. May try something new this year though.

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
My Son & I have had great success with a variety of broadheads. Ones that top our list that we seem to use repeatedly are the Exodus Qad Full 100 grain, the Viper Tricks 100 grain, at present we're using the Iron Will 100 grain heads, we really like those heads! Good luck to you!

ElkNut/Paul

Bandit141

FNG
I've tried many brands and keep going back to G5 Strikers. I've never personally seen a broadhead that balances any more easily and hit where my field tips do. Granted I take a fair bit of time on tuning my bow.

I've shot more than one elk with the same broadhead so they're fairly durable too.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Ramcat has been my go to broadhead for the past 5 years. I have slayed 6 elk and 4 deer with zero issue and they fly great for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tonto

FNG
I've shot bulls with slick trick Viper tricks and qad exodus. Both worked great, passed through on 20 yard shots behind the shoulder. One shot with an exodus in the spine broke the spine and dropped the bull.

I'll keep using exodus for now. The heads I've recovered were still very sharp and undamaged.

nphunter

WKR
100 grain Solid Broadheads with 1/2" bleeder. Dropped a bull and buck in consecutive years within sight with complete pass thru's and the heads still shootable. Have a hunting partner that had similar results on a deer last year with same head. Seem to shoot extremely accurate and are pretty indestructible. We did notice that there was very little external bleeding, but didn't need it as all animals have expired within sight, but if you ever get a bad hit it may be an issue for tracking. They are also pretty spendy like the Iron Will, but for us right now the good has outweighed any reason to switch.

I would second Solids, I've shot multiple deer and elk with them and they are awesome heads, never had a failure and solid has a lifetime warranty, Any head I've damaged they sent me a brand new one for free no questions asked. It will be a tall order to try to find a better flying fixed head on the market IMO.

This season i went away from deep six arrows and am selling all my Solids and decided to try the Iron Wills S100's since i had to buy all new heads anyway. However in OR this year i will be shooting about a 470gr arrow with Rage Trypans for deer and elk, the only issue i have ever had with a Solid head is they don't leave huge blood trails, I'm color blind so it takes a bit for me to even notice any. I'm hoping the Rage will help in that department, for going to ID this fall i will be shooting the IW since expendables are not legal there.

KSBackCountryHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up the Iron Will solid 125's - just plain nasty and so far shoot dead on w/ field points out to 40 (longest shot I can shoot in my backyard) -can't wait for Fall!

Beendare

WKR
With a 500-660 gr arrow....you can shoot anything inc. a large diameter mech head and it will be effective with that much arrow behind it.

Personally, I shoot a strong heavy fixed blade head [2 and 3 bl VPA's, 2 bl Buzzcuts] because they work well with may system of testing every arrow before a hunt....then touch it up and in the quiver. This head design maintains blade sharpness through an animal, max's out penetration even on marginal shot locations....and the arrow goes through them so effortlessly, some animals don't know they were hit- many tip over in sight.

I've had a couple just stand there looking around after being shot....bleeding out...then just topple over right there where I shot them. Works for me.

mcdonder

FNG
Montec G5's have really close to field point accuracy for me. Haven't got an elk with one yet but they've done a number on a few whitetails

Have taken the VPA vented 100 gr 3 blade the past several elk hunts. No shots yet, but if they work anywhere close to how well they work on IL white tails, I should be fine. Never had a problem with pass throughs on bigger bodied deer, so anticipate good penetration on elk. If find a fault with them, on an occasional deer, the blood trail doesn't open up until the 10-15 yard mark, but then really good and easy to follow.

Wackedo

FNG
Definitely interested in this. My uncle uses the G5 Montec. I’m still trying to decide for this year. I got a great deal on a couple packs of G5 Deadmeat heads. May end up going that route or try the Striker v2. One thing I like about G5 is the bmp they make so you can shoot them regularly without screwing with your actual broadhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk