Bringing guns to Canada

Spinman75

FNG
Has anyone hunted/brought a gun into Canada recently? I'm wondering what the process is like and what all it entails?

2x within the last year. Both times my firearm was inspected to verify serial numbers but it was a super simple process. That was the first time in the 10 years I've been hunting Canada that I have ever had my gun inspected. Any other questions just let me know.

As far as process. Simply fill out the temporary import paperwork and let the border agent know when crossing you need a permit signed. They will then determine if they are going to inspect and you pay your small fee and they will sign your declaration.

Roofer1

Lil-Rokslider
Same experience at Shooter264. Handed them the form, they verified the serial # on the gun, and I was on my way.

bradb

WKR
I have had mine checked when flying in each time. As stated above super simple with correct and simple paper work. Be there again Friday

OP
S

Spinman75

FNG
2x within the last year. Both times my firearm was inspected to verify serial numbers but it was a super simple process. That was the first time in the 10 years I've been hunting Canada that I have ever had my gun inspected. Any other questions just let me know.

As far as process. Simply fill out the temporary import paperwork and let the border agent know when crossing you need a permit signed. They will then determine if they are going to inspect and you pay your small fee and they will sign your declaration.
Thanks for the info. I was wanting to make sure I built in enough extra time in my travel itinerary. Happy to hear its not a long process

OMB

WKR
Thanks for the info. I was wanting to make sure I built in enough extra time in my travel itinerary. Happy to hear its not a long process
I've had it take anywhere from 5 minutes at a land crossing to 45 minutes when flying into Calgary (even when I was the only one declaring a firearm.) I can't imagine it would take any longer than that, but nothing really surprises me anymore with travel.

I've had it take anywhere from 5 minutes at a land crossing to 45 minutes when flying into Calgary (even when I was the only one declaring a firearm.) I can't imagine it would take any longer than that, but nothing really surprises me anymore with travel.
Does that 45 minutes include picking up your weapon, going through customs, re-checking, and getting back through security? In looking at flights recently, it seems 1-1.5 hrs is the standard layover these days in Vancouver, Toronto, and Calgary when coming from the L48. Seems awful tight of a window.....even if you make it through customs and re-check, I'm a little concerned about the weapon and luggage (with ammo in it) making the flight. I decided to just have my flight itenerary terminate in Vancouver, stay the night there, and then have a liesurly morning the next day before catching a mid-day flight on Air North to get to my final destination.

Does that 45 minutes include picking up your weapon, going through customs, re-checking, and getting back through security? In looking at flights recently, it seems 1-1.5 hrs is the standard layover these days in Vancouver, Toronto, and Calgary when coming from the L48. Seems awful tight of a window.....even if you make it through customs and re-check, I'm a little concerned about the weapon and luggage (with ammo in it) making the flight. I decided to just have my flight itenerary terminate in Vancouver, stay the night there, and then have a liesurly morning the next day before catching a mid-day flight on Air North to get to my final destination.
If I was flying, I’d make sure I had a minimum of 3 hour layover. Your plan of staying the night in Vancouver and continuing the next day is solid. I had a 3 hour layover in Vancouver in 2017 and almost missed my flight due to customs BS! I’m fortunate to live in Wyoming so any Canadian hunting adventures for me I always drive to Calgary or Edmonton and fly from there. I’ll avoid Air Canada at all costs!

Fairly certain you need to have trigger locks AND case locks too.. Just don't loose the keys.. I recently cut some locks for a friend.

OMB

WKR
I'm sorry, that's a good catch. I was speaking in terms of time of retrieving rifle case to getting through customs. I'd go at least two hours on the total process, if not more, depending which airport. I don't know that I would count on a Canadian airport to get me through with a connection same day, I'd rather just build the extra travel day in at this point.

bradb

WKR
I just went through customs in Edmonton, again super fast and easy.
I asked the agent about the trigger locks question in this post. She basically kind of shrugged and said she don't care as the case is locked and the bolt is out. Technically it may be required but she feels the way it's locked in the case it really meets the requirement. We talked for a bit on it

Last edited: