Bringing game back to US from Canada

mnydir

FNG
Going on a musk ox hunt in Canada next week. Planning on bringing the hide, horns, and meat back if successful. For those of you who have hunted Canada and brought back game, what paperwork is necessary. Reading the customs website it appears just a tag is the only thing needed. Is this correct?
Thanks

Can't help with an ox but have done several hunts in BC and Ontario and both were just simple US customs forms the outfitter supplied. Good luck on the hunt. That's a bucket list adventure! Post a hunt recap

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Tmac

WKR
I needed a CITES permit for a cougar in addition to licenses and tags. Just licenses and tags for mule deer. Been a few years ago. Your outfitter should know. CITIES animals are listed online. A taxidermist up there should know too. That’s where we got mine for the cougar.

On your meat- bring back only boned out or quartered meat, mostly meaning no spine. I mean it’s standard procedure even state to state now but at the border crossing it’s a big deal and they really don’t take CWD lightly.

If doing a euro, make sure it is clean, I’m specifically talking no brain matter, chunks of meat, eyes, etc it really should be boiled or pressure washed, that makes them happy.

If a skull cap make sure it’s clean as well, no brain matter, chunks of hide etc.

Capes/hides are fairly easy. In around 10 trips across I have never had to show them a hide besides bears.

If your outfitter has his stuff together he will probably supply the customs forms, If not they will have them at the border. I’ve done it both ways. Make sure you have your tag and a copy of the contract with outfitter (you’ll want this when you go up as well)

Also make sure you have a US Customs 4457 done on your rifle BEFORE you cross. You can get one at any international airport or before you cross the border on your way up, they are good for the lifetime of rifle as long as you own it. For whatever reason, US customs really likes to have that when entering into the US from Canada. And on southern border coming in from Mexico they could give two shits about it 🤷‍♂️

I also suggest crossing at borders that aren’t open 24-7 doing commercial inspections. The more rural the better. Some of the big crossings around freeways always seem to be a pain in the ass with guns into Canada. Thats usually cause they are staffed with
trudeau loving libs…..the people from Alberta/SK/Ontario are salt of the earth, damn good people.

I just read your post again, if your muskox hunting I’ll bet your flying 🤣🤣 ignore the parts about driving across, the rest still applies….. I dunno why I was thinking you were driving up when I was typing.

OP
M

mnydir

FNG
On your meat- bring back only boned out or quartered meat, mostly meaning no spine. I mean it’s standard procedure even state to state now but at the border crossing it’s a big deal and they really don’t take CWD lightly.

If doing a euro, make sure it is clean, I’m specifically talking no brain matter, chunks of meat, eyes, etc it really should be boiled or pressure washed, that makes them happy.

If a skull cap make sure it’s clean as well, no brain matter, chunks of hide etc.

Capes/hides are fairly easy. In around 10 trips across I have never had to show them a hide besides bears.

If your outfitter has his stuff together he will probably supply the customs forms, If not they will have them at the border. I’ve done it both ways. Make sure you have your tag and a copy of the contract with outfitter (you’ll want this when you go up as well)

Also make sure you have a US Customs 4457 done on your rifle BEFORE you cross. You can get one at any international airport or before you cross the border on your way up, they are good for the lifetime of rifle as long as you own it. For whatever reason, US customs really likes to have that when entering into the US from Canada. And on southern border coming in from Mexico they could give two shits about it 🤷‍♂️

I also suggest crossing at borders that aren’t open 24-7 doing commercial inspections. The more rural the better. Some of the big crossings around freeways always seem to be a pain in the ass with guns into Canada. Thats usually cause they are staffed with
trudeau loving libs…..the people from Alberta/SK/Ontario are salt of the earth, damn good people.
Canadian customs wants to see your contract with the guide?

Yes.

Mainly, it's the justification and reason you are bringing a firearm into the country they are worried about. If you’re not taking a gun, they won’t care.

I once came up with a shitty outfitter, I had no contract in hand and it turned into be one of the biggest messes I have ever had at border. 3 hour delay with my outfitter on phone multiple times with Canadian customs.

OP
M

mnydir

FNG
Okay. Yeah I'm not bringing a weapon up. Just using the guides. So does customs have the fish and wildlife forms to fill out as well as customs paperwork?

Yes.

Not having a gun will probably make things easier.

When flying you’ll take care of US Paperwork when you first land back in the states.

A lot depends on how often the agent deals with USFW paperwork, and hopefully they aren’t anti-hunting. They can be super easy, 20 second scan of paperwork, or you go through three agents to find someone to go through it all with you. Some airports don’t deal with USFW paperwork on a regular basis, but any customs agent should be able to process it and they should have it.

You probably know this, but when flying commercial you’re going to have to shrink wrap or box your skull/horns (no sharp tipped points) so hopefully your outfitter will help you with that. Remember though If you have connecting flights (they will usually want you to unwrap horns/skull cap for inspection when you first come back to US) make sure you are prepared to re-wrap them and make them ready for commercial transport again.

It’s really pretty easy and usually doesn’t take to long….. To be sure, you can also contact US Customs at the airport you will be landing back at and ask them what they will need and would like to see to make it easy.

Canadian customs wants to see your contract with the guide?
Weird. I have done 6 international trips and have never once had to supply a contract. Canada. Africa. New Zealand and have never been asked once. I have a hunt this Oct in Newfoundland that I don't have a contract for. Not a big deal to me I have all the emails. Guess it just is who the customs officer is

Weird. I have done 6 international trips and have never once had to supply a contract. Canada. Africa. New Zealand and have never been asked once. I have a hunt this Oct in Newfoundland that I don't have a contract for. Not a big deal to me I have all the emails. Guess it just is who the customs officer is

I never had an issue either until I did 3 years ago. Had done multiple trips and never really been asked. I had a firearm in hand, but no tag, no contract had never worried about it.

If you don’t have a gun I can’t imagine it ever being an issue.

On this particular occasion I didn’t even have an email or correspondence, which I think made things look worse, add the fact I couldn’t get outfitter on phone, it turned into a mess. I had hunted with the guy on multiple occasions and took a last minute cancellation type hunt.

A very similar thing happened to a buddy of mine this year with Canada. Bringing gun, no contract or outfitter information in hand, but again gun involved. They want to know why a gun is coming in.

Stalker69

WKR
Can't believe we have to jump through hoops, pay fees and such to " import" dead animals. And our borders are open to any criminal, terrorist that's wants to enter, and they get paid ( and bonuses, phones, health care, clothing, housing etc) for coming. Fkn how stupid can it get.

Squincher

WKR
The last time I brought back a moose, all I had to do was fill out a short half page form on the U.S. side. The meat was already processed and frozen and the antlers and skull were cleaned up. They took the form and sent me on my way. No one actually went out and looked at anything.

Same thing going up. We had the U.S. forms for our rifles already filled out and had to go inside on the Canadian side to complete a simple short form for them. Again, they just took the forms and sent us on our way without looking at anything. Come to think of it, I've never been delayed beyond a little paperwork and a few perfunctory questions anytime I've crossed between the U.S. and Canada.

buffybr

FNG
@Travis Hobbs has provided good info.

I shot my musk ox back in 2004, so some things might have changed, but I have done other hunting trips to Canada, with my most recent, an Alberta moose hunt last year.

For both my musk ox hunt and my moose hunt last year I drove from my home in Montana to Edmonton or beyond.

On my musk ox hunt I also shot 2 caribou. I brought home the shoulder capes of both caribou and the full body hide of my musk ox, a 50# cooler of meat, the antlers of both caribou, and the musk ox skull with horns. At US Customs we had a little discussion as the agent said that the musk ox skull needed to have been boiled clean. I had to fill out a US Customs form on the meat. I knew that one of my caribou on that trip met B&C minimum, so I didn't split the skull caps on either rack and had them taped together. They wouldn't fit inside my truck camper, so I had them tied on top. US Customs only asked what kind of animal they were off of, and didn't look any further at them.

In 2007 I hunted caribou in Quebec and flew there from Denver. I didn't bring any meat home, I left the shoulder cape with a taxidermist in Toronto to have tanned and he shipped it to my home, no problems. That caribou also met B&C minimum (my avatar pic) so I didn't split the skull. I really wrapped the antlers with bubble wrap and cardboard. I flew it back with me as oversize baggage, and at US Customs I was called to two separate rooms, one to fill out the import forms, and the other where agents fully inspected the antlers and cut open the wrapping around the skull plate. All made it home OK.

Last year I drove from my home in Montana to Ft. McMurray, Alberta.

Going into Canada, I had pre filled out the Canadian Non-resident Firearms Declaration form, but it was on 8 1/2"x14" paper that my printer doesn't print, so I printed it on two sheets. The Canadian customs agent didn't like that so I had to re-fill out another form at the border. I also had to produce the contract between me and my hunting outfitter. The Canadian customs agent also came out to my car and inspected my rifle.

Coming home, I remembered the previous hassle with my musk ox skull, so I asked my outfitter what I needed to do with my moose antlers and skull cap. He said just to stop at a car wash and power wash the inside of the skull plate, which I did.

At the US Border, because I had my rifle and game meat I had to go inside and had a very long wait to finally see an agent. I don't remember if he even asked about my rifle, he didn't want to look at my coolers, or the antlers, but he had me fill out a form to bring the meat into the US, said thank you, and I was on my way.

I think that every customs agent,on both sides, handles the border crossing differently. Canada seems most interested in your firearm, US Customs are more interested in any meat you might bring home. Ask your hunting outfitter what you should to with your musk ox skull.

It takes up a bit of space, but I strongly recommend a full mount of your musk ox.
E61CCJvh.jpg

Dogone

FNG
Canada may require a reason to bring a firearm. Even bringing a .22 to shoot cans at a friends, a note from them will work. A do it yourself hunt: pre buy the licence. Avoid issues!