Bring sharpener for fixed blade or ditch it for a Havalon?

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
The safest way to change a havalon blade is with pliers, Leatherman or otherwise. I have used one for near 20 years now. Also use a fixed blade buck knife for anything that will require a lot of pressure.

I have no problem with either. You should be able to sharpen things. It is a basic skill like changing a tire on the side of the road. Look at how it is designed to cut and restore it. Knives, scissors, router bits, drill bits, lathe tools, chisels, whatever. I am all for instant and disposable for saving time for more important things, but we shouldn't short ourselves the acquisition of the skills to do it the hard way.

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
No way in hell I would trust a havalon replacement blade
I carry a fixed blade carbon steel Moraknifv and a spyderco folder in s35vn or CPM 20cv and a small Lansky pocket sharpener ( just to keep razor sharp)
I don’t trust gimmick gadgets like replacement blade knives
Gimmick gadget? Respectfully, have you ever used one? They (and similar scalpel handles) are absolutely the bees knees.

I too, also carry a fixed blade and a folder, who’s sole purpose is fire building, general cutting tasks, and a backup if the havalon fails, but for any task requiring cutting on an animal the havalon is (IMO) usually the best tool for the job.

I’ve been using the same one for the last decade and have had no signs of failure. If you are breaking a havalon blade, there’s a 90% chance you are using it wrong. They are so sharp you can’t put enough pressure on anything (other than bone) while cutting to break anything.

I can gut, skin, and quarter a whole animal with a blade, and when I am getting all of the meat in the freezer a couple days later it’s still sharp enough to shave off silver skin. I’ve never even snapped a blade, let alone broken the knife to the point that it was unusable.

I’m not telling anyone to go out in the wilderness and use one as a survival knife, but there’s definitely room in my pack for one and it’s well worth the few ounces that it weighs.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Gimmick gadget? Respectfully, have you ever used one? They (and similar scalpel handles) are absolutely the bees knees.

I too, also carry a fixed blade and a folder, who’s sole purpose is fire building, general cutting tasks, and a backup if the havalon fails, but for any task requiring cutting on an animal the havalon is (IMO) usually the best tool for the job.

I’ve been using the same one for the last decade and have had no signs of failure. If you are breaking a havalon blade, there’s a 90% chance you are using it wrong. They are so sharp you can’t put enough pressure on anything (other than bone) while cutting to break anything.

I can gut, skin, and quarter a whole animal with a blade, and when I am getting all of the meat in the freezer a couple days later it’s still sharp enough to shave off silver skin. I’ve never even snapped a blade, let alone broken the knife to the point that it was unusable.

I’m not telling anyone to go out in the wilderness and use one as a survival knife, but there’s definitely room in my pack for one and it’s well worth the few ounces that it weighs.
I have tried them , my preference is a regular knife and I find a disposable scalpel for capping out around eyes , nose and lips a better tool
$7 for a box of 10 ( a disposable box cutter isn’t 1/2 bad )
I have known how to sharpen a knife since I was in junior high and see a need for a gimmick for those who don’t, 1/2 the post in this thread say they are difficult to use, never heard that about a standard knife beforeIMG_1025.png

Last edited: