Bring sharpener for fixed blade or ditch it for a Havalon?

Macintosh

WKR
I use a SV30 knife and should not need to touch up the blade. In case I do want to touch up, for example to cape out a head, I made a small strop. It is about 1" by 6" leather glued on 1/4" plywood and treated with diamond slurry. Small and light but will dress even a blade of the tougher to sharpen steels.
Glue a sheet of 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to the other side of that plywood and you have yourself a complete sharpening system!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Is this the one you guys are talking about? It weighs 4.6oz. At that weight, it seems easier to just bring a second fixed blade.

That is the heavy duty one. They have a much lighter one without the fishhook sharper, 3 honing rods, and the strop. It’s just a coarse, medium, and fine. I hope they still make them they are great

https://a.co/d/6Xo2FXA

This is the one. 1.6 oz for ya

There is something very satisfying about sharpening and butchering with a good fixed blade.

I’ve always wondered, what do people do with the discarded disposable blades? Pack in a sharps container and pack them out?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I’ve always wondered, what do people do with the discarded disposable blades? Pack in a sharps container and pack them out?
Put them in the package that the new blade comes out of and put them and the gloves in a ziplock and into the pack.

I love skinning with my Havalon, which is most of the work on breaking down a bull.

TxxAgg

WKR
I’m surprised how many people are saying you push through a whole animal and sharpen at home. I touch up my blade probably 6-8 times when I’m taking apart an animal. Only takes a few seconds, just a few quick swipes with a steel or similar. I like working with a reasonably sharp blade. I use one of these currently.

View attachment 772725
I do the same thing. Keeps it super sharp and it's cheap, easy insurance.