Brass cleaning process.. which is best

I've been using a sonic cleaner to clean my brass for quite some time..
Is it hindering me? Should I switch to tumbling brass with media? If so what tumbler and what media?
What are the downsides/upsides to both?

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

I deprime, sonic clean, anneal, resize and then dry tumble to remove lube.

I used to wet tumble but it just takes longer than I cared to wait to finish, and I got tired of messing with the steel pins. Being super shiny isn’t a big deal for me. Not having to mess with the steel pins is very appealing to me. Folks say the steel pins can damage necks over time. I’ve never noticed it, but I suppose it’s possible. But damn those steel pins for getting in places you don’t want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdupontjr

WKR
Deprime (using a stand-alone separate die to punch primers so I don't get my sizing die dirty)
Tumble (corn media, blow out brass with air compressor, some pieces get stuck in flash hole)
Anneal
Lube (spray with homemade lube, liquid lanolin / 99% alcohol)
FL Resize
Clean (either tumble them again or just wipe off with a cloth, depends on if I have time to wipe off)
Load
Shoot

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
I dry tumble with Lyman corn media. I don’t care if they’re super shiny and wet tumbling just involves another step (drying).

bluemoonx

FNG
Get the tumbler and media. If dirty primer pockets worry you, use a primer pocket uniformer. Personally, I don't care. Reloading is not a cheap hobby. Going to have to drop some coin eventually.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I use a dry tumbler to get all the crud off before and after I resize and trim. Then I use an ultrasonic to get the lube off and squeaky clean.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I have never ultrasonic cleaned my brass. I used to exclusively dry tumble, but I didn't like how dirty it left it the cases, I had a couple sizing dies get scratched internally from the dust build up inside. Even with me cleaning the die every 100 cases.

Switched to wet tumbling and SS pins and enjoy it. I don't mind drying as I do a large batch of brass so while the first run is drying I'm tumbling the 2nd run and sometimes even prepping the 3rd. Once the 3rd round is ready to dry the 1st is ready to size.

After sizing I will dry tumble to remove the lube usually just corn cob as it's cheap.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I cleaned my brass when I first started reloading. I quickly learned that it didn’t matter and stopped doing it.

Haven’t cleaned brass in several years.

TxLite

WKR
I started wet tumbling with SS pins maybe 2 years ago. While I love how clean it gets the brass, it’s a total pain getting the pins out of the brass. I’ve found several occasions where I pull the brass out of the tumbler and pins are stuck/hiding inside the case.

I end up having to go one by one, shaking the case/hitting it on the side of the tumbler upside down in water to knock all the pins loose so I don’t accidentally send one down the barrel.

I find when I don’t use media it doesn’t get the primer pockets as well as the pins, and obviously the inside of the case doesn’t get as clean. I really don’t think it plays any part in accuracy or consistency vs no media but I like shiny things.

For bulk stuff like 556 I don’t bother with the pins for the sake of time.

Lawnboi

WKR
I dry tumble in Lyman corn for exactly 2 hours every time.

Overly clean necks can cause issues .

I havnt cleaned primer pocket in years, even on brass fired in the double digits. Normally I’m just tumbling with the spent primers in.