Boom. Boom. Out go the lights.

Hunterbug

FNG
My daughter drew a youth either sex tag for the Bosque Del Oso SWA in southern Colorado for 3rd season. I asked and got some great info from the members here. We also made 3 scouting trips. So we left Friday and her season opened on Saturday. Friday evening we looked around and didn't see anything. It has been hot and dry here. Saturday we went to a good looking spot but no elk. A guy that was camped near us got one fairly close to where we were but nothing for us. We didn't see an elk on Saturday. Sunday morning we saw 3 bulls at first light. One pretty nice, one noticeably smaller, and one so busted up you really had to look for the antlers. We tried to get on them but no go. Monday, didn't see any elk. Tuesday, didn't see any elk but another guy in our camp got one near where the first guy got his. Wednesday morning we got up and went and glassed that area at first light but didn't see any so we poked around a little. She had a 0800 online class that she needed to be on for so we drove down to the main road. She had good reception and I could glass. No sooner did we stop when she saw an elk. I looked and it was a bull. A nice bull! I saw where he was and where he was headed. So we headed back to the parking spot to hike in 1.5 miles to get above him. She logged in to her class on her ear buds and listened in while hiking in. We found as good of a vantage point as was available and we sat to look. She stood up to see and quickly sat down and told me that he was right below us. I said, well shoot him! I didn't want to stand and risk scaring him. So she adjusted the shooting sticks and stood up, got ready, and shot. I didn't hear a hit. She reloaded and shot again. This time I heard the wack of the bullet and she said he was down. He was making his death throws so she put another in him just to be sure. I was so happy for her. As we walked up I told her to reload just in case but she only had 1 more bullet with her. The rest were in the truck. We got to him and he was stone dead. I want to give a huge thanks for the folks here that gave me info for this hunt. She was shooting her 270 with 150gr Partitions and he was 216 yards away.

Attachments

• 20211117_094044.jpg
    20211117_094044.jpg
    739.9 KB · Views: 636
  • 20211117_094736.jpg
    20211117_094736.jpg
    725 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_6853.jpeg
    IMG_6853.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 619
  • 20211117_154919.jpg
    20211117_154919.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 613
Last edited:

Roy68

WKR
Congrats to your daughter!! I’ve skipped class(es) many times to go hunting. Doing both at the same time is a new one

FNG
That’s some serious multitasking! Great bull too, you’ve obviously done a great job teaching her!

OP
H

Hunterbug

FNG
Please tell me she was still in class when she shot?!?! That would be an awesome cake icer. That bull is picture perfect, great work!
I didn't ask. She had muted and blocked out the class all together. She just wanted it showing that she was there. But it would have been funny to have her whole class listening to her shooting and me yelling when he hit the ground. 🤣