Bonding a picatinny rail to an action

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I get that. I’ve used rubberised CYA adhesive for installing inserts in my arrows for years. It’s much better than standard CYA at absorbing impacts. I just don’t see it being hard enough to withstand much compression. Seems to me that epoxy would still be a better fit to create the liquid shim, and then you could apply the CYA afterwards for better adhesion?

For “bedding” a rail to correct for straightness, Loctite 380 probably isn’t the choice. To bond a rail to a receiver that is still relatively simple to remove- Loctite 380 is working exceptionally well- have shot a rifle bonded with 380 and no rail screws. Just bonded an action to a chassis this morning with it.

SDHNTR

WKR
For “bedding” a rail to correct for straightness, Loctite 380 probably isn’t the choice. To bond a rail to a receiver that is still relatively simple to remove- Loctite 380 is working exceptionally well- have shot a rifle bonded with 380 and no rail screws. Just bonded an action to a chassis this morning with it.
Roger. That makes more sense. There is a difference between bedding and bonding. If bonding alone, I can see the use of Loctite. If bedding is also necessary seems epoxy is the better choice.