Bolt Action 223

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Please see my post 2 above yours. This is a well documented issue with .223 Rem in the Savage short action, and it's a crime they are still selling them.
Odd I have an axis that has over 1000 rounds down the tube and it’s been issue free. Loves 77 tmk for deer and hogs.

Tikka makes a great rifle. I have a T3x Varmint in .223 and it is very capable. I put mine in a MDT XRS chassis. Get the 1:8 twist and you will be able to shoot the heavier bullets. I used the Hornady 75 gr BTHP at my first PR class and was nailing the 500-600 yard targets pretty easily once I had my wind hold.

Last edited:

OneShot

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Remington 783 heavy barrel a couple years ago and have been very impressed with it. It was something I wanted to keep on the budget side since it was for plinking and teaching kids to shoot a rifle with a scope. Something that very low recoil and cheap to shoot. Had a handful of kids learning off the gun last year. For what the gun is, it groups 50-69 grain factory ammo at MOA or less which really suppressed me. Actually one of my favorite guns to shoot now.
I found a refurbished Nikon 3-9 tactical for $99 and put it on to keep the set up budget friendly. The only thing I didn’t like about the 783 was the color of the stock. So we changed that with some paint and sponges68993D90-C1EB-4D9C-9D16-C9A8350EBC8B.jpegE7213489-C9EF-423E-8CBD-37FAAEDA843D.jpeg

Hnthrdr

WKR
Ruger American predator has been great for me. Solid shooter for the price point

Deywalker

FNG
I know this is a few months old, but I was recently in a similar situation looking for a .223 bolt gun so thought I would share my experience:

Purchased a Savage Lightweight Hunter in .223 and was plagued by feeding issues as Savage uses a .308 sized action which is simply too long and allows the cartridge to exit the magazine before the bullet enters the chamber. It is a fundamental design flaw that cannot be solved, so I rebarreled in .308 (and have still been having issues due to Savage's shit magazines, but that's another story). Went back to the drawing board and purchased a CZ 527 Carbine and couldn't be happier.

Unfortunately the 527 has been discontinued for the CZ 600, however I would caution against that as they are currently under a recall and as far as I can tell the issues have not been ironed out. If you are able to find a NOS or used 527, one other thing to note is that the is that it was produced both in 1-12 and 1-9 twist barrels, so if you go that route make sure to get the faster twist.
I don't think I would blame the action length for the savage failing to cycle .223. My .223 tikka is one of the smoothest feeding rifles I've ever used. Savage mags just suck. the 527 in 6.5 Grendel that I have is incredibly easy to bind, but that might change with some more use.

Retumbo

FNG
I don't think I would blame the action length for the savage failing to cycle .223. My .223 tikka is one of the smoothest feeding rifles I've ever used. Savage mags just suck. the 527 in 6.5 Grendel that I have is incredibly easy to bind, but that might change with some more use.

I guess I should have been more specific. The micro caliber savages use the short action with a Savage short action magazine that has been "blocked". It's the combination of the two that don't work, as the .223 round exits the magazine before it can be captured by the chamber. I could see a savage short action .223 working with a chassis magazine system that takes the shortened cartridge length into account.

I would recommend you reshape the extractor on your 527 (
) and upgrade to a Glades Sweptback bolt. Both helped my gun.

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka T3x compact .223 1:8 twist. They are a little tough to find right now, so I ended up buying the regular T3x Lite. It isn't so heavy that you still feel a touch of recoil, which is a good thing. Those heavy barreled 223s don't give any feedback to learn correct positioning to shoot accurately, particularly as the kids grow and move up to heavier recoiling chamberings.

frogman43

FNG
Agree with the suggestion to go with a 1/8 twist.......that will let you throw some heavies through it making it more versatile.

Rbaguio

FNG
I know this is a few months old, but I was recently in a similar situation looking for a .223 bolt gun so thought I would share my experience:

Purchased a Savage Lightweight Hunter in .223 and was plagued by feeding issues as Savage uses a .308 sized action which is simply too long and allows the cartridge to exit the magazine before the bullet enters the chamber. It is a fundamental design flaw that cannot be solved, so I rebarreled in .308 (and have still been having issues due to Savage's shit magazines, but that's another story). Went back to the drawing board and purchased a CZ 527 Carbine and couldn't be happier.

Unfortunately the 527 has been discontinued for the CZ 600, however I would caution against that as they are currently under a recall and as far as I can tell the issues have not been ironed out. If you are able to find a NOS or used 527, one other thing to note is that the is that it was produced both in 1-12 and 1-9 twist barrels, so if you go that route make sure to get the faster twist.
What about savage 110? Planning to get one with a scope mounted already. They go for cheap around $500

WCB

WKR
Please see my post 2 above yours. This is a well documented issue with .223 Rem in the Savage short action, and it's a crime they are still selling them.
I have a Savage Varmint in .223. Zero issues with anything through 700rds or so. I also know 3 other people with various Savages in .223 with zero issues. Also zero issues with any savage magazine in 8 different calibers and configurations.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
What about savage 110? Planning to get one with a scope mounted already. They go for cheap around $500
I just replied above...but I have a 110 Varminter .223 with zero issues through around 700rds. I also know 3 guys with the Savage 12fv they used to offer...bought for around $400. Zero issues in any of the guns through thousands of rounds.