Bolt Action 223

Vaultman

WKR
Would like to get a bolt action in 223/556. Something to teach 10 year old's on. I want to teach them to operate a bolt, safety, trigger control, but they aren't ready for my 7mm-08 rifle.
They have used the single shot 22, and are ready for a little more recoil as well as learning how to operate the firearm. An added bonus would be open sights, but probably not necessary.

Anything you all recommend?

I would think about what rifle they might get next and use that same platform (ie savage with an accutriger, ruger american, etc). I have a savage predator in 223 that my kids both shoot and it works great. No open sights though, but we have a ruger 10/22 and a single shot 22 with open sights. The scope has been good for them though on low power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Vaultman

Vaultman

WKR
I would think about what rifle they might get next and use that same platform (ie savage with an accutriger, ruger american, etc). I have a savage predator in 223 that my kids both shoot and it works great. No open sights though, but we have a ruger 10/22 and a single shot 22 with open sights. The scope has been good for them though on low power.

Good point!!!

Honestly, if I were in the market right now, Tikka would be the only route I would consider.

Don't buy something slower than 1-8 twist, as your giving up a lot of capability.
Some of the tikka 223 rifles have a slower 1-10 or 1-12 twist

The wood stocked varmint hunter model has both 1-8 and 1-12 twist options. I also have a 1-10 Lite that only likes the lighter bullets.

mt100gr.

WKR
^^^ This! And don't pass up a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56. My daughters have been shooting one since about 8 years old and it's a great little rifle. The shorter threaded barrel lends itself to easy handling for youngsters and/or a muzzle device (suppressor!!) to make it even more fun and comfortable to shoot. I cut the stock down on ours and it's a perfect fit for smaller shooters.

sndmn11

WKR
We wanted to do the same but couldn't find a Tikka or vanguard, so I just got a 22br barrel for the Tikka. Something like that could be an option on your 7-08's action depending on what it is.

OP
Vaultman

Vaultman

WKR

I'm thinking about this again!
I have a youth vanguard in 7-08, but that is my only 7mm rifle and I want to phase out of it. I think I may go for the Tikka in 223. Then when I run out of 7-08 bullets (or sell them all) I could get a Tikka in 308 or 30-06.

I've never owned a Tikka before, that is another reason for me to try it out in a 223. I think that would be a good tester. Thanks all for the pointers.

Whatever you get, make sure it fits them well, it will be very hard for them to learn good fundamentals with a rifle with too long of a LOP, and any recoil there is, they will feel it more if the rifle doesn’t fit well… I think it’s a big thing that’s often overlooked teaching young people to shoot, they will also be fighting getting into the scope well.

The scope matters too, I have a leupold that’s currently on my rat gun that is a 4-12x and has a fickle eye box for no reason, and anyone who has shot with that scope that doesn’t shoot a lot, fight that scope pretty bad, and rifle fit becomes super critical… not a huge deal for someone who understands it, but for newer shooters it’s a big distraction and makes it less fun and more difficult.

Retumbo

FNG
I know this is a few months old, but I was recently in a similar situation looking for a .223 bolt gun so thought I would share my experience:

Purchased a Savage Lightweight Hunter in .223 and was plagued by feeding issues as Savage uses a .308 sized action which is simply too long and allows the cartridge to exit the magazine before the bullet enters the chamber. It is a fundamental design flaw that cannot be solved, so I rebarreled in .308 (and have still been having issues due to Savage's shit magazines, but that's another story). Went back to the drawing board and purchased a CZ 527 Carbine and couldn't be happier.

Unfortunately the 527 has been discontinued for the CZ 600, however I would caution against that as they are currently under a recall and as far as I can tell the issues have not been ironed out. If you are able to find a NOS or used 527, one other thing to note is that the is that it was produced both in 1-12 and 1-9 twist barrels, so if you go that route make sure to get the faster twist.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I like the idea of sticking to a platform that will be familiar as they step up to larger cartridges.
The Ruger American has an adjustable stock where you can change comb height and length of pull easily enough, is affordable and popular, and my mates one in 6.5 Creedmor shoots unexpectedly well 🤔

WCB

WKR
I don't think you could beat a savage with the accufit stock to get proper length of pull and check weld. Along with that when you buy them a larger rifle you can literally have the exact same configuration and fit and it can grow with them.

Retumbo

FNG
I don't think you could beat a savage with the accufit stock to get proper length of pull and check weld. Along with that when you buy them a larger rifle you can literally have the exact same configuration and fit and it can grow with them.
Please see my post 2 above yours. This is a well documented issue with .223 Rem in the Savage short action, and it's a crime they are still selling them.