Votes: 2 22.2%
  • 3-Blade

• 4-Blade

• No Discernible Difference

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
This poll is actually very hard to test due to so many factors that are out of one's control. My question is relative to your own experiences. For the purpose of 'accuracy' I ask that we not take into consideration expandables as their diameter is much more than most fixed heads and most people wouldn't shoot a fixed head that is say a 3" diameter. What, if anything, have you noticed regarding blood trails and recovery with 2, 3 and 4 blade broadheads? Another thing to factor into the equation is to have a full pass through requirement so that the diameter of the shaft isn't plugging the hole or making the wound(s) worse by hitting every tree, limb and/or brush that the animal runs past. The poll is not game species specific but, but merely to showcase your own experiences. Many archers haven't used all three in-depth so in order to even get responses, if you have used only two of the three, go ahead and vote. No doubt, a well-placed arrow, will do the job regardless of how many blades.

This should be interesting but I wonder if it really even matters how many blades your are shooting. I had a conversation with two of my buddies about the way that live muscle reacts when cut in different ways. I have noticed the muscle acting differently with regards to cutting it when the animal has just died such as opening up the inside of the pelvis. One of my buddies claims that the shape of the Strickland Helix and Shuttle T's type broadhead's blades penetrate so well is because of the way the muscle 'jumps or snaps back' out of the way. Now you might be thinking that those are two and three blades so how can they react the same? Well, I don't know. Maybe just food for thought for the purpose of the thread but someone would have caught it if I hadn't mentioned it. One time I stuck my hand up into the ribcabe to cut the windpipe, lungs and heart out only to find the heart still beating. I was lucky that I didn't cut myself as fast as I jerked my hands out of the deer but that is another story. Now I am not a doctor nor surgeon, but there are four valves in the heart. Three of them are tricuspid and one is a bicuspid. So it had me thinking, does the tricuspid or the bicuspid seal better? They both act as a check valve but does this have any relevance to broadhead wounds? If the tricuspid seals better maybe a three-blade broadhead is more likely to stop bleeding and so on and so forth.

http://www.subzin.com/quotes/M45251...+you+must+have+seen+blood+trails.+Drag+marks?.

OP
Brandon Pattison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6BLX3zlJkk

The video doesn't mention this and I am in no way endorsing anything but the flint knapped stone heads of our ancestors were made two ways, single and double. I heard somewhere that the novices were only able to do the single-bevel because they could only do one side, flip it over and do the other side. The highly-skilled knappers could do both. This might be a bit off-topic but a two-blade, single-bevel head might actually leave a better wound channel than a three blade according to Dr. Ashby's description of the L-cut. The knife also leads to the effectiveness of the single-bevel.

I think that there are way to many variables to be able to accurately test this unless they do it independently in a lab. I think the size of the cut to a point means more then the actual amount of blades.