BLM to open 22 mil acres in Western states to solar

Old Dog

FNG
We shut one proposed one down here. They came before the planning commission and were asked what there was in place for decommission at the end of the solar farm's life. We were thinking a bond. We were told by the company proposing it that there was no need for that as someone would be along to pay to recycle it. Basically they were going to stick either the land owner or the taxpayer with dealing with decommissioning. :mad:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Of course not.

They don't want to pet that Democratic Federal dog from tail to head.

They will remain silent like good little bitches and fall in line.
Why would they kill future volunteers projects like cleaning up the broken solar fields in 30 years with volunteers, and then pint nights after?! Just kidding those will be super fund sites

Hnthrdr

WKR
What kills me is if solar was so amazing same with wind why do we need to subsidize the ever loving hell out of it… worst part in Co, is we will bend over backwards for green energy while we actively choke out all petroleum and natural gas products. We have a monster nat gas reserve in Co and we are making our cleanest burning energy source increasingly expensive in this state… just complete lunacy. I think we should explore renewables but not cut our nose off to spite our faces here, plus none of it will matter if we don’t upgrade the grid to run all this renewable energy

TaperPin

WKR
I thought it was strange Warren Buffet was buying up shares in western utilities, but it soon became clear when he also owns a lot of solar suppliers and developers - guys like him are the big winners.

Having said that, we have a decent size solar farm locally, and it looks better than windmills. . . Sort of. Luckily solar panels have a longer lifespan than windmills, and when taken out of production are easier to recycle or crush into fill.

That solar farm west of Vegas is a real trip - mirrors shine onto a central heat collector - so much solar energy that any bird that flys between the mirrors and collector is toast.

jmez

WKR
We shut one proposed one down here. They came before the planning commission and were asked what there was in place for decommission at the end of the solar farm's life. We were thinking a bond. We were told by the company proposing it that there was no need for that as someone would be along to pay to recycle it. Basically they were going to stick either the land owner or the taxpayer with dealing with decommissioning. :mad:
Exactly what you would expect of a project that is about profit. Has absolutely nothing to do with energy or the environment.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

jewbacca

FNG
Might be a good idea to look through the proposals and figure out exactly what and where would be impacted.

First, it would take roughly 14 million acres of solar panels to power the entire US, so obviously they aren't talking about covering 22 million acres of the West in panels.

Second, look through the maps provided and see where they're talking about. Looks like the impact to muleys in Utah would be minimal, for example.

Finally.... there is no finally. Just educate yourselves on the subject. Nobody takes you seriously if you don't know what you're talking about.

OP
GreenBoot

GreenBoot

FNG
US energy generation by source

You can see that solar is a really small part of the current electric grid. The problem is that we have to 6-7x solar in order to replace the decommissioned coal production. That doesn’t even cover the planned growth of the electrification initiative. You’re talking about 10x solar, plus massive increases in NG. Everything has its consequence.

11boo

WKR
Might be a good idea to look through the proposals and figure out exactly what and where would be impacted.

First, it would take roughly 14 million acres of solar panels to power the entire US, so obviously they aren't talking about covering 22 million acres of the West in panels.

Second, look through the maps provided and see where they're talking about. Looks like the impact to muleys in Utah would be minimal, for example.

Finally.... there is no finally. Just educate yourselves on the subject. Nobody takes you seriously if you don't know what you're talking about.

That thing called the Budget deficit. That will be impacted.

A reliable electrical grid. Impacted.

You cant tear down fossil fuel power plants and hope to replace that capacity with wind and solar, yet that is exactly what is happening.

Finally.... there is no way possible to support a solar field of this magnitude relative to the required battery storage and conversion to AC to send it down the line.

Last edited:

ODB

WKR
Dude, this is what I absolutely do not understand. We have millions of acres of commercial and residential roofing across the country. Just incentivize homeowners more than they currently do. The grid infrastructure is right there already, in the cities.

As far as the farms go, I don't see this as anything different than what we use to do with oil and gas, it's just a different form of energy development and we need more electricity. Ultimately, when all factors are figured, it's prob not any better for the environment.

Those wind turbine blade graveyards waiting for some magical fairy dust to appear so that can be recycled will be getting a few more tenants…

ODB

WKR
I think there is no comparison to natural gas or even oil. It will kill everything on the land. They need to put them on every Amazon warehouse, government building, Walmart, closed down mall. Elon Musk has shingles that are solar panels, so you can put them on almost any house. https://www.tesla.com/solarroof

Also, I wasn't even close to joking about the target practice.

Tesla bought a company called Solar City. I have worked with them before and after the Tesla buyout. It’s all just Tesla now. Their solar stuff and power banks are interesting

11boo

WKR
Chinese solar, bought with our tax dollars, put on our public lands.
But it’s clean energy!

Fortunately, the climate change thing is only affecting the woke countries. Not China, where they put up new coal fired power plants every month, have no environmental restrictions on the production of the cheap crap the world buys.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Probably supported by the same lunatics who want the sage grouse listed as endangered, because of habitat loss.

“Updated roadmap will help meet goals for net-zero electric grid by 2035”​

Yeah… I’m sure the entire US power grid can be powered by “clean energy” by 2035. That seems like a reasonable goal our current president has.

jmez

WKR

Exactly what I thought when I read this:

“The Interior Department’s work to responsibly and quickly develop renewable energy projects is crucial to achieving the Biden-Harris administration’s goal of a carbon pollution-free power sector by 2035 — and this updated solar roadmap will help us get there in more states and on more lands across the West,” Laura Daniel-Davis, acting U.S. Deputy Secretary of the Interior, said in a statement.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk