Blaser

280rem

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at different options in Blaser rifles, I see some beautiful wood stocks. Since the gun is designed and operates differently than anything I am use to, I’m wondering if wood stocked R8s are susceptible to moisture and weather influences similar to traditional bolt action rifles? Is a wood stocked R8 a fine for an Alaska hunt say?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I think the thing to know is how would you feel if the stock were badly scratched or damaged on that kind of hunt? Compare against a. synthetic and just not worrying about what happens to it so you can focus on the hunt itself vs. worrying about damaging a very expensive stocked rifle? Only you know!

I like the look of wood stock rifles and own a couple. But I'd hate worrying about them in bad weather and whether it would cause me to miss a shot, or just shakes my confidence that I miss a shot. If I remember, the Blaser wood stocks are more like panels that slide/attach onto the frame so not likely affected by weather, but certainly can get damaged cosmetically.

Mojave

WKR
I think the thing to know is how would you feel if the stock were badly scratched or damaged on that kind of hunt? Compare against a. synthetic and just not worrying about what happens to it so you can focus on the hunt itself vs. worrying about damaging a very expensive stocked rifle? Only you know!

I like the look of wood stock rifles and own a couple. But I'd hate worrying about them in bad weather and whether it would cause me to miss a shot, or just shakes my confidence that I miss a shot. If I remember, the Blaser wood stocks are more like panels that slide/attach onto the frame so not likely affected by weather, but certainly can get damaged cosmetically.
Yes, this is the answer did not affect accuracy

280rem

Lil-Rokslider

I get what you’re saying. I mainly hunt with synthetic stock rifles, only because I “trust” them in wet weather. But ultimately have hunted most with wood, even did my dall sheep hunt with a wood stock. I have a walnut mill as my business, I really enjoy the beauty of wood. So my outlook on using wood, might differ from typical.

Mojave

WKR
Craig Boddington has put a lot of miles on a a very pretty R8 in 300 Weatherby, or maybe 300 Blaser (or both). It had really nice wood at one point.

I’m close to pulling the trigger on a R8 Professional. Somebody say something bad to talk me out of it!

Mojave

WKR
There are a lot of push feed guns.

Blaser is kind of a lifestyle thing. The way Beretta, Browning and Weatherby are. There is a cult to it.

They sell clothing, knives, rubber ducks, and all kinds of other hunting knick-knacks. Do you need it? I don't know, but this is how Blaser works.

The Savage Impulse is excellent, Heym SR30 is good but the cost of them in America is BS. Roessler makes one, Steel Action makes one, Haenel makes one the NXT. They are just rifles. You don't have to join the Blaser cult to own one.

Most Blaser owners sell everything else to own more Blasers.

Blaser is part of the Rigby, Mauser, Sauer family. All these brands are trying to set up their own product lines for the misc. hunting stuff. Mauser and Sauer just hired a new guy do open up clothing lines.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
There are a lot of push feed guns.

Blaser is kind of a lifestyle thing. The way Beretta, Browning and Weatherby are. There is a cult to it.

They sell clothing, knives, rubber ducks, and all kinds of other hunting knick-knacks. Do you need it? I don't know, but this is how Blaser works.

The Savage Impulse is excellent, Heym SR30 is good but the cost of them in America is BS. Roessler makes one, Steel Action makes one, Haenel makes one the NXT. They are just rifles. You don't have to join the Blaser cult to own one.

Most Blaser owners sell everything else to own more Blasers.

Blaser is part of the Rigby, Mauser, Sauer family. All these brands are trying to set up their own product lines for the misc. hunting stuff. Mauser and Sauer just hired a new guy do open up clothing lines.
Yeah Blaser will sell you a set of underpants if you let them. The scopes look OK, but are very expensive. I just shoot the R8 with a Nightforce sitting on top and enjoy hitting things.

The biggest problem with Blaser is if you show up with one people assume you are a rich guy that can't shoot.

Mojave

WKR
Yeah Blaser will sell you a set of underpants if you let them. The scopes look OK, but are very expensive. I just shoot the R8 with a Nightforce sitting on top and enjoy hitting things.

The biggest problem with Blaser is if you show up with one people assume you are a rich guy that can't shoot.
I know a lot of guys that have traded a room full of $200-650 guns to buy one. Especially guys that are buying a gun every month or two and then blown away by the versatility.

Yes, there are a lot of guys that buy them (with crocodile skin) that can't shoot.

Mojave

WKR

The scopes are not in the same quality function as Schmidt Bender, Swarovski or Zeiss.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I know a lot of guys that have traded a room full of $200-650 guns to buy one. Especially guys that are buying a gun every month or two and then blown away by the versatility.

Yes, there are a lot of guys that buy them (with crocodile skin) that can't shoot.
I have definitely sold off rifles as I mainly shoot the Blaser. I own the pro success synthetic stock and it's not babied!

Of the synthetic rifles I've owned, the Blaser stock feels the most durable and stable. It is dead in the hand and you can tell it can take a beating.

A recent deer cull I was hauling a yearling out of a ravine and slid down some scree with it and the rifle. The rifle held zero and didn't look the worse for wear even though I fell with it directly onto rocks. The Blaser scope mounts are expensive, but they are rock solid and always return to zero when you remove them and never shift.

I routinely crawl with it to get into position over ridges, it gets wet, bounces around in a quad/truck, etc. Leave the fancy wood and leather trim on the sofa at home.

Attachments

• IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    840.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2874.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
At 13 pages, we have probably covered this heavily.

Pros:
1. Decocker
2. Very accurate barrel
3. Portable, breaks down into easy to move pieces.
4. Safe, can remove the fire control and lock it up in a seperate area to keep it away from children/theves nefarious types.
5. Tough, stock is made out of woodpecker lips
6. closed system, no place for stuff to get into the action if the bolt is closed.
7. Wide variety of aftermarket stocks and scope mounts to give good options.

Cons:
1. Cost, about $3800-4500 for a base rifle (success, professional)
2. Aftermarket support is limited to stocks and scope mounts.
3. Aftermarket barrel support sucks, not name names.
4. Bullet twist may or may not be suitable for a true long range rifle.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider

I hear this complaint online mainly. In reality, my Blaser barrels shoot everything out to any range without issue with proven match bullets. If someone is dead set on shooting heavies with the latest 1 in 1.2786 optimized twist for whatever bullet the vendors are hocking them this week, it's probably not great choice for them. But for common match and hunting projectiles I've never had any issues.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I hear this complaint online mainly. In reality, my Blaser barrels shoot everything out to any range without issue with proven match bullets. If someone is dead set on shooting heavies with the latest 1 in 1.2786 optimized twist for whatever bullet the vendors are hocking them this week, it's probably not great choice for them. But for common match and hunting projectiles I've never had any issues.

My .300 Win handles the 215 Bergers just fine. My .264 Win does well with the 156 Bergers but it is a 1:8” Kreiger before Elmer retired. Haven’t tried anything heavy out of the 243, .308, or .375.

Mojave

WKR
At 13 pages, we have probably covered this heavily.

Pros:
1. Decocker
2. Very accurate barrel
3. Portable, breaks down into easy to move pieces.
4. Safe, can remove the fire control and lock it up in a seperate area to keep it away from children/theves nefarious types.
5. Tough, stock is made out of woodpecker lips
6. closed system, no place for stuff to get into the action if the bolt is closed.
7. Wide variety of aftermarket stocks and scope mounts to give good options.

Cons:
1. Cost, about $3800-4500 for a base rifle (success, professional)
2. Aftermarket support is limited to stocks and scope mounts.
3. Aftermarket barrel support sucks, not name names.
Con 5:

I forgot about weight. R8's are heavy.

The upside is they are short as F and you can get them tucked away really well.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I'd buy a 223 barrel if it was a better twist for heavier 77gr bullets. The twist is pretty limited to varmint bullets.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the Beretta BRX1. I love my Blaser, but if these shoot well, for the $$$ ….

>>>——JAKE——>
Time will tell. I’ll be waiting and watching for a couple years to see how BRX1 performs. Maybe Form will test one and compare to the Blaser.