Blaser

gearguywb

WKR
I ordered a R-8 last week :)...in 300WM.

Now to continue down the rabbit hole.

I think a 223 barrel and a 375 barrel are in my future!

BjornF16

WKR
That is an ok price. A new one is about $4000ish. There are not very many R8-Professional S models out there. I would not be afraid to buy one. The removable trigger group adds a pound. They (the S) were originally $1000 cheaper. But I don't know if you can still get one for $1000 cheaper.

Barrels are $1400-1600ish new for basic 17mm barrels. There are always used barrels.

This is not a custom barrel gun. Both American sources suck. Get used to that aspect of it.
In looking at the other photographs of this gun, it does not appear to be the Professional S but rather the Professional with removable trigger group.

IMG_1380.jpeg

I’ve rarely seen this price on a complete gun for sale; might see them if you hawk the Blaser boards.

New R8 Professional gun:
$2,000 stock/receiver/trigger group
$1,375 Standard barrel/magazine insert
$550 bolt carrier
$475 bolt

$4,400 plus tax

Mad Dog Guns advertising ~ $4,700 for complete Professional.

As Mojave indicates, there are no legitimate aftermarket barrels in the USA for Blaser. We are pretty much stuck with Blaser factory offerings/pricing with the exception of the Akila Bear 8 barrel extension; but you’d have to find a gunsmith that would take on that project. I have one, but haven’t done a barrel for it yet.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
I owned a R8 professional with 30-06 and 9.3x62 barrels. One of the few rifles I regretted selling.
Yep, you don't need anything else.

I know lots of guys that don't have sold everything and bought 2-3 stocks and a few barrels. This can be problematic for some people. As they start collecting things they want but don't need.

BjornF16

WKR
You also still need a $500 scope mount
$300 if you order a Innogun Quick Release Mount for Blaser from Titanium Gunworks…I have several. They subtract VAT for us Americans.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered the rifle with 2 mounts :)

I will need a third at some point.
Where did you find the best place to order from?
Thank you
Yep, you don't need anything else.

I know lots of guys that don't have sold everything and bought 2-3 stocks and a few barrels. This can be problematic for some people. As they start collecting things they want but don't need.
Agreed. It would very easy to drop $10-15k on a outfit

280rem

Lil-Rokslider
Holy long rolling threads here! I’ve been enjoying it, as a person who is looking at an R8 as an option to gain shortness for suppressors without having to sacrificing barrel length to do so. Lots of good info in this.

One question, I hearing all the lack of quality in aftermarket barrels. What about the proof research barrel blanks? Is there something I’m not understanding about them or missing? I would expect them to be of good quality or is there more to the story? It looks like pale horse is the name of the business that use to belong to Elmer. Any updated info on them? Is that just a hit or miss prospect of weather you would get a barrel that is any good?

I wonder these things because with current trends in high bc bullets, when I see proof research listing a 1:8 twist 22” 7mm barrel, can’t help but think that would be a fine thing to have. I’m sure I’ll have more questions lol. But thanks for any insight anyone can offer

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
One issue is you'll need to get some kind of collar adapter to mount the barrel. It is not a Blaser option. Also I suspect if the receiver/bolt gets damaged due to a malfunction you will be on your own if you use one.

Blaser barrels are really good. I'd seriously weigh what percentage improvement you'd get by replacing one with a higher twist vs. just buying what the factory knows works and leave it alone. Blasers are not a tinkerer's rifle if that is your thing. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Last edited:

LightFoot

WKR
One issue is you'll need to get some kind of collar adapter to mount the barrel. It is not a Blaser option. Also I suspect if the receiver/bolt gets damaged due to a malfunction you will be on your own if you use one.

Blaser barrels are really good. I'd seriously weigh what percentage improvement you'd get by replacing one with a higher twist vs. just buying what the factory knows works and leave it alone. Blasers are not a tinkerer's rifle if that is your thing. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

As a Blaser owner (and tinkerer) I can attest to the truth of this statement. I had my 30-06 barrel cut and threaded for a suppressor. It works but is not a long range setup. If I wanted to shoot long range with a Blaser, I’d go with the 300 Win and shoot 185 bergers. I think Blaser is making a 6.5 PRC now.

I’ve always seen it like this:

The Blaser R8 is a “hunter’s rifle” and not a “shooter’s rifle.”

That said, it still shoots 1/2 to 1 MOA groups every time I shoot it for groups.

>>>——JAKE——>

Mojave

WKR
Ok, it is 2023, soon to be 2024.

As a resident of Germany, I can tell you that there is one quality aftermarket Blaser barrel company and it is not in the USA. It is Bix and Andy in Austria.

I am not going to name any names in a negative light. It is illegal for us to comment in a negative way specifically about a company. Even if I am not an EU citizen.

There are hundreds of post on Blaser specific websites about this.

There is even a warning at the top of the Blaser specific forum about non-Blaser manufactured barrels sucking, and not to bitch about it, talk about it or anything else.

Heed the warnings.

You can buy a Blaser barrel shank and have a gunsmith thread and chamber a barrel on it. There are several companies in Europe making these. No one is claiming that this isn't a solution, but the people who claim to make Blaser barrels suck at it.

A Blaser is not a 700 clone. I think this is the hardest thing for people to get over.

We finally have decent aftermarket scope mounts (still $250 plus).

BjornF16

WKR
I can tell you that there is one quality aftermarket Blaser barrel company and it is not in the USA. It is Bix and Andy in Austria.
I don’t suppose there is any way to get a Bix’nAndy barrel here in the States?

Can you visit with Blaser and get them to offer faster twist options, or even adopt some of the newer cartridges?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
A Blaser is not a 700 clone. I think this is the hardest thing for people to get over.

This is the crux of it. You buy a Blaser because the entire thing just works without any drama.

I know plenty of shooters that are always changing this and that with their rifles for the latest bullet, etc. But, they are constantly having various issues. Bullets fly apart at apex, don't perform as advertised, require constant load development, triggers that have problems, etc.

I never have had a single issue the Blaser or swapping calibres. The thing always works. Same for other mates of mine with them and they shoot lots of animals a year in culls, etc. The rifles are not treated with great care but always work and are always accurate.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Well, for once in my life I was not a day late and a dollar short; so glad I got a 264 Winchester 1:8” barrel from Elmer before he was ready to retire!

The Blasers are an excellent platform. I’m dreaming about a 22 Hornet barrel for my K95.

Mojave

WKR
This is the crux of it. You buy a Blaser because the entire thing just works without any drama.

I know plenty of shooters that are always changing this and that with their rifles for the latest bullet, etc. But, they are constantly having various issues. Bullets fly apart at apex, don't perform as advertised, require constant load development, triggers that have problems, etc.

I never have had a single issue the Blaser or swapping calibres. The thing always works. Same for other mates of mine with them and they shoot lots of animals a year in culls, etc. The rifles are not treated with great care but always work and are always accurate.
I had thought you were probably getting shafted on Blaser prices in New Zealand but do not think that that is the case. Your scope mounts are $650 NZD, that's $400. That's an ok price. About $150 USD cheaper than ours are now.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Prices under the old distributor were very fair, and often below what you'd find in the US. Prices have gone up as Blaser has increased prices significantly and inflation has come to NZ as well. A few years back a new barrel was about $1800NZD (barrel only). Now close to $2500-3000NZD just for the barrel. I like Blaser, but they are pricing themselves out of the market here. With that said, the price is close to USD dealer pricing once you do dollar conversion (About $1500 USD for standard barrel which is about $2400NZD).