Blaser

TomJoad

WKR
@left hunter - how has the K95 worked for you?

I managed to forget about Blasers and this thread and have in the interim purchased a Tikka and Sako and I’m thinking of unloading two Coopers. Now I just re-read this entire thread. And I can’t help but think about going from 2 Coopers, a Tikka and a Sako to one day owning just one Blaser with 2 barrels.

Has the exchange rate changed to make the Blaser less expensive in the US?
Well… kind of depends. Has your paycheck kept pace with inflation? Then probably, yes.

Just harvested a CO bull during R1 with my k95 stutzen with the 30-06 barrel. Toy rifle. DRT. Such a fun gun.

fwafwow

WKR
Well… kind of depends. Has your paycheck kept pace with inflation? Then probably, yes.

Just harvested a CO bull during R1 with my k95 stutzen with the 30-06 barrel. Toy rifle. DRT. Such a fun gun.
Nice! I will have to do some research.

Mojave

WKR
@left hunter - how has the K95 worked for you?

I managed to forget about Blasers and this thread and have in the interim purchased a Tikka and Sako and I’m thinking of unloading two Coopers. Now I just re-read this entire thread. And I can’t help but think about going from 2 Coopers, a Tikka and a Sako to one day owning just one Blaser with 2 barrels.

Has the exchange rate changed to make the Blaser less expensive in the US?
German and American prices are similar. They have 19% sales tax nationally. We have FET plus state sales taxes on guns. The guns other than the R8 in America are more expensive. K95 ultimate in Germany is 4400 Euros, 5300 USD from an American dealer.

fwafwow

WKR
German and American prices are similar. They have 19% sales tax nationally. We have FET plus state sales taxes on guns. The guns other than the R8 in America are more expensive. K95 ultimate in Germany is 4400 Euros, 5300 USD from an American dealer.
Thanks @Mojave. I have follow-up questions, but it's probably best for me not to know any more, at least at this point!

What kind of bare rifle weights are we talking for the sporter versions with aftermarket carbon stocks?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I just pulled my 375 H&H that I’m taking to Kodiak soon and put on a bare 300 Win standard barrel with a vias brake and that carbon stock 300 is 6lb 6oz.

John Havard

WKR
Classified Approved
As many have said, the ONLY downside to Blasers is the fact that they are boat anchors with their standard stocks. The aftermarket carbon stocks are the cat's ass. Too bad that Blaser won't take a hint and actually offer a truly lighter stock as a factory option. The K95 with a true CF stock would definitely be a wonder.

Nice setup Steve. Enjoy your next trip to Kodiak!

I like that 8.5 - 9.5# empty and scoped range sounds like it’s not out of the question. Can a guy piece one together without needing to pay for a blaser stock or complete rifle?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
If you find an R8 stock, R8 bolt, R8 barrel and R8 bolt carrier you can piece one together. But probably just as much money getting a complete rifle and being done with it.

I sold off a bunch of rifles once I switched so in the end the R8 probably would have saved me money if I just started there vs. buying all the others.

My R8 Pro Success rifle with Blaser scope mount and NF 3-10 scope is about 9-9.5#. Not a lightweight, but I don't like very light rifles and the R8 always hits what I am at so worth it for me to have that confidence and reliability. The much shorter length makes the rifle feel lighter to me as it's much easier to handle in the bush when in hand.

fwafwow

WKR
If you find an R8 stock, R8 bolt, R8 barrel and R8 bolt carrier you can piece one together. But probably just as much money getting a complete rifle and being done with it.

I sold off a bunch of rifles once I switched so in the end the R8 probably would have saved me money if I just started there vs. buying all the others.

My R8 Pro Success rifle with Blaser scope mount and NF 3-10 scope is about 9-9.5#. Not a lightweight, but I don't like very light rifles and the R8 always hits what I am at so worth it for me to have that confidence and reliability. The much shorter length makes the rifle feel lighter to me as it's much easier to handle in the bush when in hand.
If one were to go down the path of the full rifle purchase, is it best to go direct to Blaser?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
If one were to go down the path of the full rifle purchase, is it best to go direct to Blaser?
You'll have to buy through a dealer. Not sure of the US currently, but I've seen some dealers offering pretty sharp prices if you look around. Picking up a used barrel conversion kit is usually a safe bet also if you buy a new stock and bolt carrier. Blaser barrels are incredibly strong and would be very hard for someone to shoot out unless they are doing something incredibly dumb.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know anything about aftermarket carbon stocks as they are not available in NZ, but the pro success stock with thumbhole is primo. Practically indestructible, it points quickly from all field positions and makes accurate shooting a breeze. I've shot from some bad angles with it and I can always get a good position whether standing, sitting, on rocks, prone, shooting off pack, etc. It points well and is fast to get behind the trigger and get a shot off.

Oakridge

FNG
I’m just gonna drop that here so I might not be the only one drooling over this style of rifle.
I have always loved k95’s. I wish there was more in the states so I could get a chance to hold one.