Blaser

BjornF16

WKR
You laugh...but I'm contemplating how to improve upon the cf stock/forearm pictured above...I may take a crash course in cf forming...but if Stocky's were to take it on :unsure:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I like that 8.5 - 9.5# empty and scoped range sounds like it’s not out of the question. Can a guy piece one together without needing to pay for a blaser stock or complete rifle?

My Jaeger with 27” 264 Win barrel, 3-15x44 VX-5:

IMG_9222.jpeg

I bought this one with the 300 and a 243 barrel. I pieced together the 264 “custom” with the carbon stock and EO receiver along with all the other pieces from various classified sections. With the .375 barrel I’m pretty much set for anything from woodchuck to elephant. If I want ultralight and want to stay with Blaser I have a K95 in 308 that will work for anything I want an ultralight rifle for.

You guys talk about the rokstocks but that is one of my main hang ups! The ergos on the options don’t look bad but not perfect.

Seems like primary downsides for me:
-cost - one time cost could be ok but if it’s $1600 every time I want a new barrel that’s hard to deal with
-ergos- haven’t seen anything on par with gunwerks or what I hope for in the rokstock. Now that we’re getting there I don’t want any less!
-top feeding /no dbm- this is one that I think would bother me. Would get old when you want to shoot a bunch

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure I can add anything to this thread but I've hunted with and shot Blasers for the last 24 years.

I had an R93 with 4 barrels (223, 270 Win, 300 Wthby, 375 H&H). Currently have an R8 with 3 barrels (270 win, 300 Wthby and 375 H&H).

I've hunted all over the world with Blasers and taken all manner of game. Scotland, North & South America and Africa. Everything taken from Springbok to Cape Buffalo, Moose and Caribou.

They're supremely accurate, incredibly fast, and wonderfully engineered. For a traveling hunter they're hard to beat. I've visited the factory in Isny several times.

The downside's are that they're heavy - the R8 put on a full pound vs the R93. They've also become ludicrously expensive. I'm not sure I'd buy one today if I'm honest.

Again, not sure I added anything but happy to chime in.

BjornF16

WKR
You guys talk about the rokstocks but that is one of my main hang ups! The ergos on the options don’t look bad but not perfect.

Seems like primary downsides for me:
-cost - one time cost could be ok but if it’s $1600 every time I want a new barrel that’s hard to deal with
-ergos- haven’t seen anything on par with gunwerks or what I hope for in the rokstock. Now that we’re getting there I don’t want any less!
-top feeding /no dbm- this is one that I think would bother me. Would get old when you want to shoot a bunch
R8 is certainly detachable magazine. Each mag sits atop trigger. Really, the downside is need to buy additional trigger if you want multiple mags. Upside is the overall length of rifle is about 4” shorter when comparing to another rifle with same length barrel.

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
R8 is certainly detachable magazine. Each mag sits atop trigger. Really, the downside is need to buy additional trigger if you want multiple mags. Upside is the overall length of rifle is about 4” shorter when comparing to another rifle with same length barrel.
Also - I don't know who makes it, I could find out - but I know an extended magazine exists for the R8. I see it all the time in my Euro-friends driven hunt pictures.

left hunter

Lil-Rokslider
@left hunter - how has the K95 worked for you?

I managed to forget about Blasers and this thread and have in the interim purchased a Tikka and Sako and I’m thinking of unloading two Coopers. Now I just re-read this entire thread. And I can’t help but think about going from 2 Coopers, a Tikka and a Sako to one day owning just one Blaser with 2 barrels.

Has the exchange rate changed to make the Blaser less expensive in the US?
It’s an impressive rifle but I didn’t hunt with it quite as much as I thought.

Only thing I have killed with it is a squirrel with subsonic loads in the 22 hornet barrel.

The 22 hornet barrel and the 6.5x55 barrel that came with it are exceptionally accurate and consistent. I quite honestly don’t understand how the whole system is as repeatable as it is.

Pros
-accurate
-can be broken down into a small package and reassembled with no tools and no loss of zero (so far)
-great trigger
-Interchangeable barrels
-light weight
- rather nice to stare at when there is nothing else going on in the woods
-ambidextrous

Cons
-cost (even when you find a bargain like I did it’s still painful)
-somewhat limited and expensive replacement barrels
-very slow to reload for me since I’m left hand and the damn extractor is on the left side
- have to move out of position to reload
- this might be only mine but the wood was not sealed up very well and is the reason I didn’t hunt with it as much as I would have. It got a bit of rain on it and you could see each water droplet turn the finish a whitish color. After disassemble it looked like there was little to no sealer applied under the recoil pad or the head of the stock which would be a problem in any real precipitation.

Mine is an older one so I’m not sure the finish issue would pertain to a new one. And I just sealed mine up with seafin so I should be good for some harsher weather this year.

I also added a Spartan adaptor just in front of the forearm release so I can run the Spartan stuff with it.

It’s accurate and repeatable enough I need to get a different scope on there so I can start dialing.

Mojave

WKR
Since you guys are keeping this thread going, I guess I will keep playing.

I have owned 4 R93's, a K95, and 6 or7 R8's, and a S-2 double rifle.

Most people are originally attracted to the barrel change capability, but then fall in love with the trigger and de-cocker.

Because most people only shoot 2-3 calibers. So while it looks enticing it is really an expensive option if that is all you are going for.

Even with the great expense I think guys buy more barrels than they can actually use. Some even horde barrels.

I have been guilty of all of these.

Every single aspect of Blaser is expensive.

Is it cheaper than a gunsmith built rifle, yes probably. Something like a 700 clone or pattern rifle (Defiance, Proof Research, Manners, 2 stage $250 trigger, bottom metal, barrel thread and so on).

Is it better than a gunsmith built rifle? It is a safer system with the decocker, and it can be taken down for travel. Barrels come straight from Euro Optics, or another dealer and in 3 minutes you can swap to another barrel. But better, eh I don't know. It isn't the same thing.

Aftermarket Blaser barrel support is a joke. The only known builder that is worth it is Bix N Andy. Everyone else makes trash. There are some unique options like barrel shankes made in Slovenia and Bulgaria. Bix N Andy doesn't have an import license for barrels and doesn't plan to. They don't make hundreds of barrels.

Aftermarket stock support is awesome, so is mounts. They are all very expensive. Some are as expensive as the American price for the R8 stock on it's own.

People get pissy because you can't get a TA-6 Manners or a A-5 McMillan for a Blaser. Well, no you can't. It has it's own action geometry and travel requirements that doesn't fit with anything a M70, M700, M98, Savage, Weatherby, Howa, Tikk or any normal American hunting standard rifle has.

Is it for you?

If you are happiest with a 700, 98, 70, X-Bolt, Savage or another system. I do not think you will be happy. I have several friends of mine that have used them, and do not like them.

Tried to switch them from a M70 to them. They didn't care and both shoot custom M70's they have $5000 in.

If you can deal with the $4000 plus price tag, plus a $500 mount, plus a wierd sling swivel system. Maybe.

I will always own them, mostly as primary rifles. I think that they work for me. I miss AICS magazines, but I prefer the decocker.

You can get any level of finish and custom options you want. If you want a crocodile covered leather stock, and engraved naked wood nymphs on the side of the receiver they will do it. You can also just get plastic.

Used prices for R8 stocks are around $1200 for rough to ok ones. Used bolt heads are $200-300, Used bolt carriers are $200-400, used barrels are $500 (for shot to shit ones) to full price $1500 for standard weight barrels. The standard 2nd hand barrel in good shape is $1000-1200. Used mounts are generally $200-300.

You could piece meal a rifle together over your timeline for $3000.

Mojave

WKR
One final thought. I want to dive into the weeds a bit on the aftermarket barrel issue.

Don't do it!

Unless you live in Europe and you can get Bix N Andy to send you one. The American and New Zealand options suck. There used to be a good guy in America (Elmer), but he has either died or retired and sold his business. Even with Elmer I had a couple of barrels that were not any good.

It is really strange to me that for the SSG 3000 rifle, there are like 5 different people in Europe making aftermarket barrels. Hammerelli, Grunig, Bix N Andy, Blaser, Heym among others. Not sure why the most popular rifle in Europe has such limited barrel support. I know the hardening process is really crazy for a Blaser shank.

fwafwow

WKR
One final thought. I want to dive into the weeds a bit on the aftermarket barrel issue.

Don't do it!

Unless you live in Europe and you can get Bix N Andy to send you one. The American and New Zealand options suck. There used to be a good guy in America (Elmer), but he has either died or retired and sold his business. Even with Elmer I had a couple of barrels that were not any good.

It is really strange to me that for the SSG 3000 rifle, there are like 5 different people in Europe making aftermarket barrels. Hammerelli, Grunig, Bix N Andy, Blaser, Heym among others. Not sure why the most popular rifle in Europe has such limited barrel support. I know the hardening process is really crazy for a Blaser shank.
Thank you! This level of detail is very helpful. I started the Blaser build function on their website and encountered a challenge in getting a short barrel option, but I suspect it was a user error. Your cautionary points above are very much appreciated, but they make me even more interested.

Someone posted the other day that this is a very expensive forum. Truth.

BjornF16

WKR
Thank you! This level of detail is very helpful. I started the Blaser build function on their website and encountered a challenge in getting a short barrel option, but I suspect it was a user error. Your cautionary points above are very much appreciated, but they make me even more interested.

Someone posted the other day that this is a very expensive forum. Truth.
Don't waste your money buying a "short barrel" Blaser barrel...buy the normal length one at the best price point you can get, then send to Karl Kampfeld to cut and thread. He's done several barrels for me. He does great work!

fwafwow

WKR
Don't waste your money buying a "short barrel" Blaser barrel...buy the normal length one at the best price point you can get, then send to Karl Kampfeld to cut and thread. He's done several barrels for me. He does great work!
Thanks. Is there anything special about the Blaser barrel that makes cutting them different?

Mojave

WKR
Thanks. I would think that a barrel warranty would be rarely, if ever, needed.

I sold a used rifle to a lawyer, and he was one of those super anal retentive types. He told me he had sent all his barrels back to Blaser and they shot them with a variety of different ammunition to find the right combo for that barrel.

I am not sure if anything like that is available for those of us, that don't send threatening litigation letters to Blaser.

I have never had a Blaser made barrel that wouldn't shoot under an inch for 5 shots. Most will do way better.

The only one that was borderline was a 338 Winchester R93 barrel that I couldn't get figured out. It didn't like 250 grain ammo, and i had a ton of it.