Blaser rifles

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind that while threading 5/8 on the standard profile barrel is possible, it's not advised. You won't be left with much shoulder for your suppressor. I had to go with 9/16. J Sip & Sons will thread a Blaser, as will Precision Barrel Work.

Maybe I should try to find a success stock and buy a bolt assembly, mag and bolt head separately? Then send it off to JSip for widening of the barrel channel for a thicker barrel and have him make me a few? Sounds like it would get expensive fast, but probably only way to do what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Flint

FNG
Sounds like it would get expensive fast
It would definitely add up quickly. Have you been able to handle the Success? Used ones do pop up for sale; sometimes it's a good deal.
Is your interest in the wider barrel just so that you can thread 5/8x24? Semi-weight would be the answer, if so. Or, maybe have a carbon wrapped barrel made. J Sip just started doing this. Other gunsmiths have been able to take an old barrel "shank" (the portion the scope mounts to) and thread it to accept a carbon wrapped barrel blank. If you get a factory barrel in 308 be aware that the twist rate is 1:11. This is slower than one would want for those heavy-for-caliber bullets you may want to experiment with for your suppressed hunting.
There are many options but you are correct in that it can get expensive real fast.

On the barrel channel widening... you could probably do it yourself by using a dowel rod wrapped in sandpaper.

Last edited:

Monty3006

FNG
Nonetheless, my biggest complaint is not the weight or the cost, but rather the slow twist rates. I can barely stabilize the 175 grain LRX out of my 30R.

Yes I would prefer a 1 in 8 twist for my .223. That said it is a very accurate barrel.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a Blaser R8 Professional Success last year. It is the best hunting rifle I've used. In fact, it's probably one of the best rifles I've used.

Bare rifle weight is about 7.5lbs so it's not an ultralight, but with scope and sling it manages fine. The shorter length makes up for the weight when carrying through the bush. The 22" barrel is shooting factory loads at near 3200 fps but is the length of an 18" barrel in a standard rifle that would have much lower velocity.

The safety is the only one I trust to carry a rifle with round up the chamber when ambling around. It has no chance of going off when de-cocked. It is quiet and fast to put into action when needed.

The straight pull action is closed so when you are walking around debris can't get into the bolt works and it keeps the weather out. The straight pull is also very fast for follow-on shots. It's almost as fast for me as a semi-auto assuming you are taking deliberate aimed shots and not doing spray and pray.

I have taken the rifle apart and put back together many times and it always holds zero as advertised. It takes getting used to having the rifle in a short case and then assembling at the range and expecting to hold zero on the target with cold bore, but it does.

Likewise the scope mounts hold zero so you can even take the scope off your rifle if traveling in rough areas and put it inside your pack in case you tumble and not need to worry about falling on your scope mounted on the rifle. You can put it back on in seconds and know it's zeroed.

I bought a 223 and 308 barrels so I can use the same stock/trigger and shoot cheap ammo for positional and practical practice at the range. The system seems expensive, but it's cheaper than most customs and almost certainly is more versatile and just as accurate if not more.

I use it for general hunting including Wallaby control out to 800m and below recently a nice red stag.

My other rifles are now sitting in my safe largely unused now.

Last edited: