Bison Quarters

Eh2110

FNG
I am helping out on a bison hunt next month. Hoping to get a better idea of how to be prepared for the pack out, gear/pack wise. Any insight on how much their rear quarters weigh? Obviously, they are large in size also, anyone know if they can be strapped to a SG pack meat shelf? We are considering buying and using a game cart for the first time assuming that one would be helpful in the flatter plains area we will be hunting.

Weldor

WKR
We drove to ours and used ramps and a winch to load 3 cow bison in a F250. When we got back to the ranch and cut them up. My guess at a 475-500 cow rear quarter 100 lbs for sure. That is the best meat a man can eat for sure.

Rogue Bay

WKR
I’m not going to be much help here but I’ll offer my opinion. My one and only bison was a large bull. Luckily, we were able to drive to it, otherwise I don’t think the quarters would have been manageable. I think a game cart would be a good investment for your trip. I use mine often for deer and elk. If you get the load balanced, you can haul a surprising amount of weight.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how the trip goes! Bison meat is one of my favorites.

TheCougar

WKR
I’m not going to be much help here but I’ll offer my opinion. My one and only bison was a large bull. Luckily, we were able to drive to it, otherwise I don’t think the quarters would have been manageable. I think a game cart would be a good investment for your trip. I use mine often for deer and elk. If you get the load balanced, you can haul a surprising amount of weight.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how the trip goes! Bison meat is one of my favorites.
I can’t see how a bison quarter is seriously packable. A mature bison weighs 25% more than a bull moose, and a moose rear quarter is in the 120-150 range. That would put a bison rear quarter at 150-200ish. I would be looking at using a truck or ATV and winch, a game cart, or deboning and doing 1/2 quarter loads.