Bird hunting on skis

My 8 year old daughter had her heart set on some generic plastic ski's for Christmas for some reason. So I got her some of the OAC POH kid ski's which are made in Finland instead of China like the Altai and I couldn't believe how well they worked for her going up steep hills.

Edit: I ended up with a set of OAC WAP and so far they are great in deep open snow. Haven't gotten a chance to take them up any serious hills yet. Next test is the pulk. The universal bindings work OK with my Hanwag Trapper Tops about 70% heel lift vs a floppy boot. I am going to experiment with some Silvretta carbon bindings I found locally.

Last edited:

THLR

Lil-Rokslider
Those skis are meant for traveling long(er) distances at faster than walking pace. They're for exercise. Also note, the skis are so narrow and his bindings so flimsy that he needs poles to balance. A good hunting ski setup is stable enough to not need poles.
It's a little more nuanced than that. I don't have "exercise skis" ( they are different) I have skis for backpacks and soft snow and reasonable handling downhill. Ice + weight of backpack is always my nemesis there.

In the "expedition" or backcountry category (strong skis that allow backpack) the skis are shaped according to what terrain you are in and what property you deem most important. Up/down mountains, soft snow, ease of turning, climbing, distance/speed or with the latest tech even hybrids leaning towards alpine touring. Also there are three variations for hunters using dogs as well as highly specialized forest skis . In february, the difference between the skis are 3-5 miles + energy lost in a hunting day?

As for binding, 75mm is popular for those worried about going through the ice and needing to kick off the skis. I use the BC Magnum (a bit flimsy for sideways stability) due ease of stepping in/out and easy to clean of ice. Xplore is the newest system and what I would chose today as it marries backcountry (speed and freedom of movement) and alpine touring (downhill stability)

Poles are mostly for climbing and speed on flats, and the better skiers (not me) also glide in with rifle and poles at the ready and shoot extremely quick. I use tungsten tipped carbon/kevlar poles for safety. You pick up speed fast sliding down a mountain and protuding rocks are not nice.

We just hunt different and use different tools. I typically do about 10 mile days,1- 2 maybe 3 (rare) mountains and quite often severe weather coming over the tops.

Not better, just different
FB_IMG_1613050752451.jpg
FB_IMG_1661104555993.jpg

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
What is the thickest brush you have used these in? I am wondering if they would work in Spruce/Cedar swamps and thick clear cuts in WI. Would like to try them going over cattail marshes also. Old timers use to use a ski to get through the marshes, but they where ver very long.
Thick enough that you can't see more than 10ft. Ruffed Grouse woods.
Skis are narrower than snowshoes and can just be nosed through tight stuff. If your leg fits, the ski fits. Also, because you slide your foot (instead monster-mash stepping on snowshoes) you have better balance in the tight stuff. Both feet on the ground, eyes up looking for game.
The free pivot binding works much better than NNN or 3pin for stepping over blowdowns.

So... an AT setup with tech bindings. You just don't take the skins off.
My regular AT setup uses heavy 4 buckle boots and are 190cm long, and costs about $2k total. My hunting setup uses boots that weigh half as much, are 160cm long, and costs about $800 total. None of my other backcountry ski setups would be great at hunting.

Would you choose the same ski setup you mention in your article for big game hunting or coyote hunting?
Yes. I'm headed out today to scout some terrain for spring Black bear using this ski setup.

As a former snowboarder, freestyle turned freeride, with skiers in our group, I could see skis being easier to hunt off of...

...but I can't see skis being more effective through terrain with obstacles than snowshoes. How does it compare?

I'm talking creek crossings, trees, blowdown, brush, bluffs and rock. Is it more around than over, or more distance put on but "glided" distance?

Maybe it's the snowboarder in me...but I don't think I could strap a set of skis on without..a tutu..or maybe it's jealousy...not sure
Skis are SOOO much better in that kind of terrain. Since I posted this a few months ago 3 more hunter friends who were life-long snowshoe hunters have tried my setup and gone out and bought their first skis. They said it's a total game changer, so much faster and easier.

The Hoks wanted to punch through the crust and tunnel under. Straps were too short for my Hoffman Mountaineers. After less than 100 yards, I fell, flopped around like a beached whale, took them off, and postholed back to the road.
I agree, those Hoks and similar "skin skis" are pretty bad. Those and other "nordic backcountry" skis are what most hunters base their ski-hunting experience on. It's no wonder they think skis don't work well.

Looking at your pictures, it appears you’re bird hunting in South central AK. Which happens to be where I also hunt birds on skis. I’m surprised to hear you don’t ski with poles. From my perspective, the decreased efficiency of skiing without poles is almost as bad as wallowing around with snowshoes. How are you rationalizing not skiing with poles?
I'm not sure what I would use the poles for. I don't need them for balance, and I'm not trying to get any extra glide like I do when XC skiing. I have friends who hunt with ski poles, but they're newer skiers who need help with balance, and sometimes for traction when climbing. I don't need that.
I often carry a collapsible ski pole in my pack, just in case, but it almost never gets used.

Oh man. My hunting dreams come true. Boot packing up to my knees with my cow this year made me wonder why the hell I left my skis at home. I need to get a dedicated setup for hunting. I might have missed it, what boot type do you prefer?
I have mostly used a 2-buckle or 3-buckle lightweight ski mountaineering boot. My current is a Dynafit TLT8. But later this season I bought a Rottefella XPlore binding setup and I've been trying out the Alfa XP boots. They're are much less beefy, but also lighter, cheaper, and swifter. I think they are winners.

Last edited:
OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
It's a little more nuanced than that......
You explain this as if I haven't used those skis you're talking about (a lot) and spent (a lot) of time in the terrain you're talking about.
Have you spent much time using a setup like I spec'd out....?

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
@Holmes

Have you any experience with this type of setup wearing a 60+ pound pack?

I have done multiday glacier traverse ski trips with 60+ pound packs, but never to hunt. I plan to pack out a black bear this spring on skis. I will probably use the same ski setup, but I would add poles because I'll need balance help with a pack that heavy, would need traction help on the uphills too.
If this was in deep early season snow witha 60lb pack one might need a bigger skis to float than the bird hunting setup I use. But for a spring bear I'll (hopefully) be on consolidated snow and the shorter skis will work fine.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
If this was in deep early season snow witha 60lb pack one might need a bigger skis to float than the bird hunting setup I use. But for a spring bear I'll (hopefully) be on consolidated snow and the shorter skis will work fine.
If you want to borrow an insanely fat pair of skis I might know a guy.

But not for the next few days as I'll be needing them through Tuesday

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 543209
I dig this thread!
Coyote hunting down here in Colorado.
But I use poles
Woh, cool setup! Those Jak Teams were super fun skis, we called them the Jolly Green Giants. My wife had that ski&binding combo, circa 2008? Are those the tour 7TMs, or the fixed toe version?
Heavy as hell though, you're getting your workout in!
I'm pretty sure I still have those skis in the rafters in the garage, one of the few pairs that I'm too nostalgic about to get rid of.

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to borrow an insanely fat pair of skis I might know a guy.

But not for the next few days as I'll be needing them through Tuesday

No thanks on those tanks!
I'm assuming you're flying north to extend your season, hope it's awesome! Are you bringing the new puppy?

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
No thanks on those tanks!
I'm assuming you're flying north to extend your season, hope it's awesome! Are you bringing the new puppy?
Flying out to a friend's place in the Alaska Range. Karma's just a scooch too little still (12lbs). Maybe in 2 weeks we'll head up north to teach her the ptarmigan game

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Woh, cool setup! Those Jak Teams were super fun skis, we called them the Jolly Green Giants. My wife had that ski&binding combo, circa 2008? Are those the tour 7TMs, or the fixed toe version?
Heavy as hell though, you're getting your workout in!
I'm pretty sure I still have those skis in the rafters in the garage, one of the few pairs that I'm too nostalgic about to get rid of.
Yes exactly! They’re the 7tms.
It’s my ski setup but when the snow gets deep I like them more then snowshoes.
I probably should put a lighter binding on them but I’m to cheap. 😂

OP
Holmes

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
Yes exactly! They’re the 7tms.
It’s my ski setup but when the snow gets deep I like them more then snowshoes.
I probably should put a lighter binding on them but I’m to cheap. 😂

The original (1999?) 7TM had a fixed toe box, but they later (2006?) made a version that flipped to a free pivot. That was the first ever free pivot binding I used and it was a total game changer! For better or worse, realizing the efficiency of a free pivot is what eventually led me down the path to the darkside: Dynafit

Screenshot 2023-04-16 at 3.34.00 PM.png

I remember wearing through the finger tip of my kinco gloves from flipping that little free-pivot lever every lap.

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
The original (1999?) 7TM had a fixed toe box, but they later (2006?) made a version that flipped to a free pivot. That was the first ever free pivot binding I used and it was a total game changer! For better or worse, realizing the efficiency of a free pivot is what eventually led me down the path to the darkside: Dynafit

View attachment 543465

I remember wearing through the finger tip of my kinco gloves from flipping that little free-pivot lever every lap.
Yeah I picked them up in 2008 or so. Seemed to be kinda a new thing at the time.
Sounds like we’re cut from the same cloth. I still have a pair of my old kinkos with holes in the fingers. They’re almost black from years of snoseal and grime.